Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A strange lack of Rainbow and Elf talk around here

What's up with that?

Rainbow is the twin brother of Dio-era Sabbath, at least while Dio was in it.

Elf has a lot of shining moments and it's nice to hear the power of a younger Dio giving his thoughts about things
    less demonic and fantastic.

Kind of a less swampy CCR, Elf.

Two faves:

Elf - Happy
    Rainbow - Gates of Babylon. Tied for Dio's best song of all time with Last in Line.

So why are these bands kind of ignored?

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    What's up with that?

Rainbow is the twin brother of Dio-era Sabbath, at least while Dio was in it.

Elf has a lot of shining moments and it's nice to hear the power of a younger Dio giving his thoughts about things
    less demonic and fantastic.

Kind of a less swampy CCR, Elf.

Two faves:

Elf - Happy
    Rainbow - Gates of Babylon. Tied for Dio's best song of all time with Last in Line.

So why are these bands kind of ignored?
    ELF I agree with, but Rainbow (atleast the classic era with Dio) has been discussed to death here before, I reckon. Rainbow talk still occasionally pops out in DP and RJD talk.

And grat choice with Happy BTW (my personal ELF favorite would be 'Wonderworld' though). Such and beautiful song with jazzy feel. Really goes to show how versatile singer Dio was - and how underappreciated rest of the musicians in ELF are. Top notch players each and every one of them.

One thing I like about ELF's material is that you get to see how fast Dio's vocals evolved from the debut to Trying To Burn The Sun. Once he dropped the bass duties and concentrated solely on vocals he developed that massive roar we got to know from him in a matter of years. He always sounded amazing singing softer stuff and basic R&R stuff even in the 60's and first ELF album, but the leap to TTBTS and subsequently the Rainbow debut was pretty big nonetheless. A testimony to the talent level the man possessed.
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 10-02-2014, 01:10 PM.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Rainbow, the Dio era is one of my favorite bands, second in line to Sabbath.

Elf I like as well have all three albums, Elf, Carolina County Ball, Trying To Burn The Sun.

Some of my favorites from Elf are, I'm Coming Back For You and Nevermore.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

I'm a huge Rainbow fan. Do you have a favorite Rainbow album?

I even like the post Dio eras...yeah they got real poppy with Bonnet and especially Turner, but I like it for what it is and always enjoy Blackmore's playing. Stuff like Spotlight Kid and Death Alley Driver are pretty rockin' to me.

I really liked Stranger in Us All too - that one seems to get panned on the internet. I named my cat after the song Ariel. Anyone else get into that one?

Comment

My favorite Rainbow album is LLRR.

Comment

Mine is Rainbow Rising.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
            ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Yeah if I had to pick it would be either of those 2 but even then I can't decide....

Comment

Rainbow was a great band... definitely different from Deep Purple.

Richie Blackmore is a super talented guitarist...

RJD was the perfect singer for Rainbow and by far the best!!!

Cozy Powell was a rock solid talented drummer too!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                  Mine is Rainbow Rising.
                  Yep!!!And my favorite Rainbow song is Stargazer. "Happy" is a fantastic song by Elf and Carolina County Ball is my favorite Elf album but my favorite song by Elf is Nevermore.
                  Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Love Ronnies tour of duty with Rainbow, most of it at least. As E5150 points out many of us who've been here for a number of years have shared thoughts on Rainbow quite a bit. Id say theres a large void here when it comes to Elf discussions. Personally my exposure to Elf has been some of the bootlegs where they did the Sabbath, Tull & Who covers; and a few random album tracks. I've never been partial to the style of Elf's original music (At least what I've heard so far). Ronnie obviously brought a certain style and class to everything he did; but musically I prefer the darker epic stuff. I know most of the Elf guys were part of Rainbow on that first album, so its not like I dont think they could play. And I'd throw out a request to those in the know: If Elf did anything on par with Stargazer, or Kill The King throw out some titles, Id check them out.
                    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

No, Elf never did anything like those songs. They remind me of Mississipi Delta Honky Tonk Rock, which doesn't exist. Elf was pretty unique. CCR was similar, but more 60's sounding and 4/4. Why on earth they were even called Elf is beyond me, since nothing about their style or lyics was prog fantasy rock.

Someone Elfier than me should compile a list of the top 10 hardest/heaviest Elf tracks. Eliminate the fluff.

Comment

They have the debut up on Spotify. . I'll check it out despite the lack of dark sweeping epics.
                        The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

I'm a huge Rainbow fan - was so glad I got to see them on the LLRNR tour - they opened for REO Speedwagon but it was great to see Dio, Blackmore, & Powell live - no band could compete with them live - check out the live CD's for the German 76 tour must haves for any Dio/Blackmore fan. The live DVD (Live in Munich) is awesome just a blast watching them rip thru Kill The King. My favorite Rainbow LP is Rising but I also liked Stranger in us All quite a bit - the Black Masquerade DVD from that tour is great.

Always liked Elf as well especially the first LP - as for the name my understanding is Elf came from the fact that the band were all short - check out Nevermore - great song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-n68qAfIfo
                          At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

Any Elf fans into audiophile quality vinyl might be interested to know I'm selling a mint Japanese copy of L.A. 59 on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1815453084...84.m1558.l2649

Or they might not.

Comment

Originally posted by kamikazetom View Post
                              I'm a huge Rainbow fan - was so glad I got to see them on the LLRNR tour - they opened for REO Speedwagon but it was great to see Dio, Blackmore, & Powell live - no band could compete with them live - check out the live CD's for the German 76 tour must haves for any Dio/Blackmore fan. The live DVD (Live in Munich) is awesome just a blast watching them rip thru Kill The King. My favorite Rainbow LP is Rising but I also liked Stranger in us All quite a bit - the Black Masquerade DVD from that tour is great.

Always liked Elf as well especially the first LP - as for the name my understanding is Elf came from the fact that the band were all short - check out Nevermore - great song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-n68qAfIfo
                              Would have been awesome to witness the Rainbow/Thin Lizzy US tour in '77. Two best live bands of the 70's if I am asked.
                              "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                              "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                              "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Working...
                              X