Best Dio album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Dio album?

I'm torn between the Dio albums. What is the best one to get?
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

Comment

I guess il get Holy Diver then.
      You tried to suppress me
      I come around

Comment

When you're done with that, then pick up this..

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
          I love the cover art!

Comment

I just got Holy Diver, one of the best albums I've ever heard.
            You tried to suppress me
            I come around

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
              I just got Holy Diver, one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Holy Diver is a classic of epic proportions!!! You have made a wise choice

Next get Last In Line as JtS suggests and or Dream Evil or Magica
              Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

Strange Highways... Hands down, Ronnie's strongest effort lyrically. The anger, the frustration, the raw emotions on display here make for powerful music. Very heavy musically, a highly underrated piece of music.
                The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Strange Highways is a good album but a bit of an acquired taste. It's basically the opposite of his 80s albums, which were highly melodic and catchy. Most of Strange Highways is deliberately anti-melodic and dissonant.

Comment

Agree with this almost 100%.

I fell in love with it on my first listen. Other than that, I agree with everything you said. I didn't like Ronnie's music when it was "catchy". (Hungry for Heaven, Rainbow in the Dark, Mystery, Rock and Roll Children...) Songs like "Evilution", "Pain" and "Firehead" just get my motor running. Similar to "I" and "Buried Alive" from the Dehumanizer release, dark- painful- and seemingly very personal.

I loved Ronnie's voice, but I always dug his under the radar stuff more than what got radio play. Started with "Stargazer", kept up with "Falling Off the Edge of the World" and ended with "Follow the Tears". Songs like these for me, represent Dio at his best.
                    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Originally posted by IommiRules View Post
                      Agree with this almost 100%.

I fell in love with it on my first listen. Other than that, I agree with everything you said. I didn't like Ronnie's music when it was "catchy". (Hungry for Heaven, Rainbow in the Dark, Mystery, Rock and Roll Children...) Songs like "Evilution", "Pain" and "Firehead" just get my motor running. Similar to "I" and "Buried Alive" from the Dehumanizer release, dark- painful- and seemingly very personal.

I loved Ronnie's voice, but I always dug his under the radar stuff more than what got radio play. Started with "Stargazer", kept up with "Falling Off the Edge of the World" and ended with "Follow the Tears". Songs like these for me, represent Dio at his best.
                      Originally posted by IommiRules View Post
                      Strange Highways... Hands down, Ronnie's strongest effort lyrically. The anger, the frustration, the raw emotions on display here make for powerful music. Very heavy musically, a highly underrated piece of music.
                      Hope your well brother , 2 fantastic post! ,,,,, outside of Ronnie's run with Sabbath and Rainbow .... Strange Highways is an utter stand out!!! ,,,,, fantastic masterpiece .... pulling the best it can from the best album Ronnie was ever associated with ..... DEHUMANIZER!!

I love intelligence .... love your user name , love your bio .... outside of your confusion over TYR ,, your a fantastic fellow!!

Jesus Bless

Comment

Now now, lets not confuse the gentleman. Iron Wizard is asking which Dio album is the best One to get. Are you both seriously suggesting Strange Highways is a better album than Holy Diver? Or The Last In Line for that matter? I'm not doubting how great an album Strange Highways is, I agree with almost everything you say. It is powerfully heavy & dark, and as menacing as I've heard Ronnie deliver, Give Her The Gun is one of my all time favourite Dio songs. But sorry, in no way should it be recommended above such classic metal masterpiece as Holy Diver

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
                          Now now, lets not confuse the gentleman. Iron Wizard is asking which Dio album is the best One to get. Are you both seriously suggesting Strange Highways is a better album than Holy Diver? Or The Last In Line for that matter? I'm not doubting how great an album Strange Highways is, I agree with almost everything you say. It is powerfully heavy & dark, and as menacing as I've heard Ronnie deliver, Give Her The Gun is one of my all time favourite Dio songs. But sorry, in no way should it be recommended above such classic metal masterpiece as Holy Diver
                          Interesting thought ,,,, pretty damn accurate ,,,, as my brother Never Satisfied said in a prior post , Rising through Last in line , is hard to beat ...... your following that same "non" flawed logic .... i could argue this point to an entirely different conclusion , but you may very well be correct .... because I could argue your point much easier.

With that being said ..... the Dehumanizer , Strange Highways run - FOR RONNIE - his voice , delivery and intensity is unmatched!!! ,,,, strange highways , a masterpiece in its own right , is no where as game changing as his 5 with Sabbath .... but vocally tacked on with Dehumanizer , well , its in a league .... if our boy Iron Wizard wants an out of body experience - here it is! .... of its own , for Dio solo.

God bless

Comment

Iron wizard - definitely start with Holy Diver & Last in Line - if you like Dehumanizer you will probably like Strange highways & Angry Machines - 2 underrated Lp's that I always liked are Lock up the Wolves & Killing the Dragon - from the live LP's try Evil or Devine (Live in NYC), Inferno & Dio at Donnington - for the DVD's try We Rock (great video of the original Dio band), Sacred Heart, or Holy Diver Live
                            At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

Originally posted by kamikazetom View Post
                              Iron wizard - definitely start with Holy Diver & Last in Line - if you like Dehumanizer you will probably like Strange highways & Angry Machines - 2 underrated Lp's that I always liked are Lock up the Wolves & Killing the Dragon - from the live LP's try Evil or Devine (Live in NYC), Inferno & Dio at Donnington - for the DVD's try We Rock (great video of the original Dio band), Sacred Heart, or Holy Diver Live

What he said.. ditto!
                              The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Working...
                              X