Accountable Beasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accountable Beasts

So, what do you all think? I've only listened a couple times but I can say this: I like it! (for the most part)

Bill is very creative, no formulaic, run of the mill rock on here. His voice is still quite good, I like the lower, sort of operatic tone he uses time to time. The production is not great, some cheesy keyboard sounds also. It very much has a DIY feel.

Very nice melodies from Bill, that's the highlight for me, and the creativity. My favorite song is maybe As it is in Heaven, it's kind of bonkers, sort of this album's "Pink Clouds (An Island)"

Comparing to 13: sonically it's much less satisfying, musically much more interesting.
    You bought and sold me with your lying words.
    Phil, your head's all full of lice!

I love it! Katastrophic World, D.O.T.H., and Ashes are my favorite. It's also great to finally have Straws on an album. My only complaint is that the vocal mix needs to be louder on a few songs. Sometimes the instrumental parts make it difficult to hear the lyrics.

Comment

Going to wait for a physical release on this. I did hear the snippets on iTunes so far that's it. Sounded good to me!

Comment

Does Bill sing all of the songs?

Comment

Well, it EXISTS. Even if that ends up being the brightest point about Accountable Beasts, it clears up a few questions about Bill's physical and mental state. Lets get this out of the way first:

1. Bill is not completely full of shit. I had my concerns after his latest couple of interviews that he may have gone permanently out to lunch, but bringing up an album after it was completely finished and then putting it out without any mention on his website is SUCH a Bill move.

2. We still don't really know what his chops were like back in 2012, but he is drumming on 7 of the new tunes and even though the mix is poor and sometimes sounds both muddled and tinny at the same time (strange but true), he sounds competent. Physically capable of pulling off Wilk's parts in 13, but again, its 3 years later so it doesn't exactly slam the door on Ozzy and Geezers allegations of Bill's condition in the early writing sessions. Let's just say that maybe he is ready NOW to play with Black Sabbath again, which is good enough for me.

As for Accountable Beasts, the album? Its got Bill's solo flavor in it, but the recording and mixing is a mess. Bill's voice sounds thin, and gets lost in the mix in every song. And the arrangements are very strange. I've always found some way to get into Bill's stuff in the past, enough to keep his CD playing for a week or so, and I'm already singing along with some tunes on my second listen, but if this wasn't Bill Ward, it would be trash to me, pure and simple. Right out of the gate with Leaf Killers you get showcased instrument sounds one after the other, heres a guitar riff, now a running base line, then a couple piano notes, then a synthesizer part right out of the movie Psycho. Then Bill's almost falsetto-voice strains in and the result is a song with parts of Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson and Queen and what the fourteen-year-olds down the street are writing and playing as a band in someone's garage, all jumbled together. There are only a few moments where you can fantasize that you are listening to a Sabbath-related song (Katastrophic World has that feel), from a riff-perspective, but those moments are few. But Bill has always had his own style, just like Geezer does, and neither member brings a Sabbath-sound to their solo work. I'm just saying that there is no Bombers (Can Open Bomb Bays) on here, and the album could have benefited from some more cohesive straight-ahead rock songs.

Again, this is a must-have release if you love Black Sabbath and Bill Ward. But I love Accountable Beasts as an achievement rather then for what the actual songs sound like. YMMV

I don't know what Bill will make from Accountable Beasts, profit-wise, it looks like its a solo-distribution project, and he got my $9.99 which I was happy to fork out, but maybe it would have given him some better street cred if he had just taken the best of these tunes and just leaked them as recently unfinished demos, at least the poor production values would have been easier to forgive and his abilities as a drummer would still be strengthened upon listening.

Who knows, maybe all of Bill's recent carping was part of a PR plan for this album after all. Its great timing, and a nice little coat-tail pull on the boys who used to practical joke him into the hospital on occasion. I can't see Accountable Beasts selling 25,000 copies but if it does, good for Bill.

My only regret was he didn't do this right after the shit hit the fan in February of 2012, maybe the healing could have started and they would be poised to take a last tour together as Black Sabbath today. Its a bitter-sweet time now.
          Last edited by Damian; 04-28-2015, 08:55 PM.
          Damian
          Super Moderator
          Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

I'm really happy for Bill; this must be a boost to his self esteem and sense of pride. As a vinyl collector I am hoping for an LP release; however, as an independent work and release, this will require Bill to fund the pressings, which will likely be paid for by profits from digital downloads. This suggests to me that a physical release may not be in the cards at all, unless sales of the download are good. Guess I'll buy the download for now, as an LP release may never come.
            Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Comment

I bought it on iTunes
              But I'm disappointed
              Is this demos (sounds) that was not good enough for
              Ward one and When The bougt breaks?
              Last edited by svullo; 04-29-2015, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                Does Bill sing all of the songs?
                Yyyyyes he does. Like Damian pointed out, the vocal mix is a mess, but I do maintain that his singing is enjoyable, for me anyways. The vocal mix was a problem on his other solo efforts as well (but only when Bill was singing, which is strange). I will be so bold to say that at this point he is a better singer than Ozzy *ducks*

Comment

Originally posted by svullo View Post
                  I bought it on iTunes
                  But I'm disappointed
                  Is this demos (sounds) that was not good enough for
                  Ward one and When The bougt breaks?
                  I get what you mean there, it's definitely the worst production of the three, but I'd rank it in between Ward One and When the Bough Breaks, never really liked that one.

Comment

I must say, I had thought the board would be blowing up about this release, kind of surprised! Where's Tha Beast and Doc and the other Bill Ward supporters when I need em?

Comment

It would be nice to have the opportunity to buy it and listen to it. It only appears to be available on the US version of iTunes (the UK iTunes doesn't appear to have it). I'd prefer an Amazon MP3 download in anycase.
                      My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

An eclectic collection of songs that will take time to fully absorb. Standout tracks are Ashes and Katasrophic World.

Comment

I can't wait to get a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicko FanAtic View Post
                            I must say, I had thought the board would be blowing up about this release, kind of surprised! Where's Tha Beast and Doc and the other Bill Ward supporters when I need em?
                            Originally posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
                            It would be nice to have the opportunity to buy it and listen to it.
                            That's why... Damned iTunes... Hoping for a physical copy as soon as possible.
                            95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
                            Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Comment

I'm enjoying this album! I was disappointed with it upon first listen, but songs like "First Day Back", "Ashes" and "Katastrophic World" have really begun to grow on me after a few more listens. Yeah, the production is questionable (mixed with $25 Earbuds!), and the album could use a straight ahead rocker or two, but I think this album is a great representation of Bill's thoughts and ideas the last few years.
                              We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X