Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Well, it's official: I can't stomach Ozzy's solo stuff anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it's official: I can't stomach Ozzy's solo stuff anymore

I tried to run a playlist of just Ozzy solo at work today and had to abort and switch to Rainbow.

With the exception of a few choice songs (Perry mason, You Can't Kill Rock and Roll, Back On Earth, a couple of others...) I found Ozzy's stuff cartoony, cheesy, and generally embarrassing.

Has this happened to you?

Meanwhile, Ozzy Sabbath remains masterful, beautifully complex, deep, transcendent.

The contrast is just too great. Even Ozzy's voice goes from being "real" in Sabbath to super nasally, hyper-processed, coke-sinus "My Larynx is fat" version that is hard on the ears.

Am I getting old? Has it always been this bad and I just overlooked it?

What on Earth is happening?

This has never happened to me and never will, I love Ozzy's solo material, his voice is second to none.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

I have to also admit I haven't really been listening to Ozzy's solo stuff anymore in years...part from some songs here and there...and nothing post Down To Earth as the ammount of vocal enhancements there just hurts my ears...almost like a machine trying to sing like Ozzy and failing miserably...

Blizzard, Diary Of A Madman, no rest for the Wicked and No More Tears still has songs that I truly love and ofcourse Perry Mason and Thunder Underground from the awful Ozzmosis and Down To Earth but the other albums don't really do anything anymore...I can't even remember the last time I listened to Bark At The Moon or The Ultimate Sin...those two albums are so 80s sounding it really is quite cheesy even...they most certainly haven't aged well...they've just aged....

There is a lot of cheese in Ozzy's solo stuff there is no denying that...especially on the 80s stuff...he went over the top with it all and ofcourse now that shows and not in a positive way either.

I think out of all the solo albums from anyone Sabbath related Ozzy's are the most uneven. Some really great stuff mixed in with truly abysmal stuff that you really can't listen to...

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
        I have to also admit I haven't really been listening to Ozzy's solo stuff anymore in years...part from some songs here and there...and nothing post Down To Earth as the ammount of vocal enhancements there just hurts my ears...almost like a machine trying to sing like Ozzy and failing miserably...

Blizzard, Diary Of A Madman, no rest for the Wicked and No More Tears still has songs that I truly love and ofcourse Perry Mason and Thunder Underground from the awful Ozzmosis and Down To Earth but the other albums don't really do anything anymore...I can't even remember the last time I listened to Bark At The Moon or The Ultimate Sin...those two albums are so 80s sounding it really is quite cheesy even...they most certainly haven't aged well...they've just aged....

There is a lot of cheese in Ozzy's solo stuff there is no denying that...especially on the 80s stuff...he went over the top with it all and ofcourse now that shows and not in a positive way either.

I think out of all the solo albums from anyone Sabbath related Ozzy's are the most uneven. Some really great stuff mixed in with truly abysmal stuff that you really can't listen to...
        I listen to it all and love it all, from Blizzard to Scream!!!!!!!!!!!
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
          I listen to it all and love it all, from Blizzard to Scream!!!!!!!!!!!
          im the same OID. Ozzy is always my go to when I'm feeling uninspired to listen to anything. As for cheese, sure there is a little bit in there, but no more than solo Dio & nowhere near the level of everything Tony Martin.
          Last edited by Jack the Stripper; 10-20-2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
            I tried to run a playlist of just Ozzy solo at work today and had to abort and switch to Rainbow.

With the exception of a few choice songs (Perry mason, You Can't Kill Rock and Roll, Back On Earth, a couple of others...) I found Ozzy's stuff cartoony, cheesy, and generally embarrassing.

Has this happened to you?

Meanwhile, Ozzy Sabbath remains masterful, beautifully complex, deep, transcendent.

The contrast is just too great. Even Ozzy's voice goes from being "real" in Sabbath to super nasally, hyper-processed, coke-sinus "My Larynx is fat" version that is hard on the ears.

Am I getting old? Has it always been this bad and I just overlooked it?

What on Earth is happening?
            Couldn't agree more
            Outside of the first couple cds, very uninspiring
            Extremely high cheese factor, along with some of Dios solo albums

Ozzy by himself is just Ozzy, nothing special going on
            When with Sabbath on the other hand \m/

Comment

No. Ozzy solo is still second only to Ozzy era Black Sabbath. I rate my least favorite Ozzy albums as good. Ozzmosis sounds even better now than I recalled. As far as cheese goes, I prefer cheddar. The cheese factor is most likely more prevalent for those who did not hear the 1980's albums when they were first released.

Comment

I'm sorta in the middle with this argument. Blizzard and Diary are right there comparable with all but the VERY BEST Ozzy-Sab albums. And I agree that there has been some great songs since but really the overall quality has nose-dived over the last 20 years.

I'd probably rank those first two albums in with the rest something like this.

SBS
                Sabo
                NSD
                Paranoid / Diary
                BS / 13 / Blizzard
                Vol 4
                TE
                MOR
                My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

I don't like No More Tears half as much as when I did as a kid, and (besides Changes and Black Sabbath) almost can't stand to listen to LIVE AND LOUD anymore...both of which I found amazing like 24 years ago.
                  Zakk Wylde has definitely worn off for me, I hate those fucking squeals.
                  I don't think all that much of Randy Castillo as a drummer either.
                  No Rest For The Wicked is still very decent though.
                  Love Ozzmosis, though it isn't perfect...all the b sides and guest appearances etc from the late 90's were pretty cool too.

I like BATM way more than I did as a kid, that one's almost my favourite now.
                  That one and DOAM are the two best albums for me.

I dig The Ultimate Sin too, give me that over No More Tears or anything after Ozzmosis any day.
                  It's a fun, rocking rock and roll album...maybe a bit stompy but oh well.

Blizzard is like Paranoid (heard it a bajillion times) and Diary is like Sabotage (never gets old).

Down To Earth is very mediocre, but a million miles ahead of RUBBISH like Black Rain, Scream, the covers album etc.

I think (in the 80's and 90's at least) Ozzy's solo stuff was way stronger and more consistent than Dio's, just my two cents.

Comment

There can be only one, and it must be and has to be and is Ozzy Osbourne.
                    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 10-21-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

The 80's stuff is golden.

Hasn't been able to put out a proper good album without Bob Daisley.

(while not credited or paid, Bob put a lot of work into that album too)

Comment

I used to prefer solo Ozzy to Sabbath but have slowly soured on the solo stuff over the years. There's atleast a little catchy stuff on every album, minus Black Rain, imo. I didn't enjoy one second of that. Scream was shit, too, but at least it had a couple good songs. Like a lot of people, I feel like Down To Earth was the last good one. Maybe even really good. Definitely not great, though. I think Blizzard, Diary and Ozzmosis are the only ones that are great. I find everything between Diary and Ozzmosis to be stupid and annoying. No More Tears was probably the best of those albums, but that's not saying much. Ozzmosis is my favorite. Hopefully, the quality of 13 will motivate Ozzy to try a little harder or do something different next time.

Comment

Diary was his solo pinnacle, with Blizzard and No Rest as strong 2nd and 3rd place finishers.

Nothing else, NOTHING can I listen to all the way through without multiple hits on the SKIP button. Last 2 GREAT Ozzy songs were "Thunder Underground" and "My Jekyll Doesn't Hide".
                          The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                          The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                          As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                          We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Those unhappy with their Ozzy cds and records can send them to me. PM for my address. :@)
                            Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Bark At The Moon is awesome, can't believe it's so disliked on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X