Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Which was the better album Heaven and Hell or The Blizard Of Ozz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which was the better album Heaven and Hell or The Blizard Of Ozz?

Tony and Randy are both excellent guitar players but I think Tony was a better composer imo. So I went with H&H. Even though you had Crazy Train, I Don't Know and Mr. Crowley, a few songs on Blizzard sounded a little off to me. Where as H&H was flawless to me.

Absolutely, while Blizzard is a very good effort, H&H is one of the top 10 albums of all time.
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
      Absolutely, while Blizzard is a very good effort, H&H is one of the top 10 albums of all time.
      I love this statement .... also interesting , your top 10 all time , obviously my top 27 studio releases are all Sabbath ,,, you stating what you have means HNH is one of your 10 all time greats .... so using my brain based on some of your past post , Dehumanizer is top 10 , SBS is top 10 , Sabotage is top 10 ..... so that leaves 6 others - your lack of over the top love for MOR (head scratch) makes me question if Paranoid is top 10 for you ,, Debut and MR ? mmmmm rather interesting - Rush takes a couple spots for you I wonder .... just a thought that runs through a Doc's head.

Comment

I'm firmly with 'Blizzard of Ozz'.

For me, that's a pinnacle in rock n roll and I just really personally love it. Here is my reasoning:

1. I prefer Ozzy's vocals over Dio's. In fact, while I definitely enjoy the albums that Dio sings on, I don't have the reverence for him that most people in the metal community seem to hold. For me he's a great singer, but not one of my favourites.

2. The songs. While 'Heaven and Hell' obviously has some stunning songs and a certain freshness to it, the tracks on 'Blizzard of Ozz' are some of my all time favourites, and in my opinion every song is a hit. From the usual standards which have admittedly been overplayed, to killer tracks like 'Goodbye to Romance' and 'Revelation Mother Earth', it's one perfect rock n roll album.

3. The Randy factor. Yes, Tony Iommi is the all time great, and he would be my favourite riff-meister, but dammit Randy is on fire. The tone of his guitar, the style of his playing, his solos. It's a magical moment in time.

4. Bob Daisley. It's no secret that I'm a Bob Daisley fan in a big way. His lyrics on 'Blizzard of Ozz' are brilliant and his contributions to the music, such as piecing Randy's riffs into songs and writing the bridges etc, excites me greatly. His bass playing is also fantastic. I'm not saying he's a better player than Geezer, but for this album I'm going with Bob.

5. Vibe. I just find 'Blizzard of Ozz' an exciting album. I'm a hair metal fan, I'm not ashamed to admit, and 'Blizzard' has some of those early traits that really work for me. There's an excitement going on - an intangible x factor - that is a one in a million (and isnt' repeated on 'Diary of a Madman' by the way).

'Heaven and Hell' is a beautiful album. It sounds great, the songs are great and it's a very important record. But for me I just can't go past 'Blizzard' which is one of my all time favourite albums. In fact, I'm wearing a 'Blizzard' shirt right now as I type this.

Blizzard of Ozz 10/10
        Heaven and Hell 8.5/10

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
          I love this statement .... also interesting , your top 10 all time , obviously my top 27 studio releases are all Sabbath ,,, you stating what you have means HNH is one of your 10 all time greats .... so using my brain based on some of your past post , Dehumanizer is top 10 , SBS is top 10 , Sabotage is top 10 ..... so that leaves 6 others - your lack of over the top love for MOR (head scratch) makes me question if Paranoid is top 10 for you ,, Debut and MR ? mmmmm rather interesting - Rush takes a couple spots for you I wonder .... just a thought that runs through a Doc's head.
          I haven't actually sat down and worked out what the 10 albums are but they are not all Sabbath probably 7 are, maybe a couple by Rush, a couple by New Model Army, a couple by The Damned and certainly 1 by The Stranglers... but then that becomes a top 14... and I haven't considered the great albums by bands who aren't in my top 5!!!

But
          1 is SBS
          2 is Sabotage
          3 is Dehumaniser

The others I've not ranked individually but include H&H, TMR, NSD and CP by the Sabs, 2112 and Grace Under Pressure by Rush, Thunder & Consolation and Impurity by New Model Army, The Black Album and Grave Disorder by The Damned and Rattus Norvegicus by the Stranglers.
          My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloDeltaCharlie View Post
            I haven't actually sat down and worked out what the 10 albums are but they are not all Sabbath probably 7 are, maybe a couple by Rush, a couple by New Model Army, a couple by The Damned and certainly 1 by The Stranglers... but then that becomes a top 14... and I haven't considered the great albums by bands who aren't in my top 5!!!

But
            1 is SBS
            2 is Sabotage
            3 is Dehumaniser

The others I've not ranked individually but include H&H, TMR, NSD and CP by the Sabs, 2112 and Grace Under Pressure by Rush, Thunder & Consolation and Impurity by New Model Army, The Black Album and Grave Disorder by The Damned and Rattus Norvegicus by the Stranglers.
            Love learning .... CP and NSD , my hat is off to you! MR makes it - but no Debut ?

Your DEHUMANIZER ranking is precious!

.... Grace Under Pressure for NON Sab is FRIGGIN brilliant!

Comment

Those two albums, concidered by many fans two of Heavy Metal's shiny moments. In 1980, we had Maiden's debut album and the classic British Steel by Judas Priest. I mentioned those two albums to show that this year was a great year for the genre, every album between those is great in its own way but the reason i mentioned them, is because of a similarity. I think that Blizzard Of Ozz, is similar enough with British Steel. Both albums are including some of the most classic moments in the genre, are radio friendly and their overall aura, is similar to me. Classic metal from the beginning of the 80's. The similarity between Maiden and Ozzy, is more obvious in his Bark At The Moon. The title track, is like an Iron Maiden song in terms of riffing, tempo and overall style. Bark At The Moon is highly influenced by Maiden, definetely.

Heaven and hell on the other hand, is a heavy metal album but its style, is completely different from the albums i mentioned previously. Its style is dark, is heavy and it is having the Sabbath's trademark sound with a more metal flair. No connection with NWOBHM style and i think that this makes Heaven and hell a special album. Also, the songwriting is strong and this album, includes some of the Sabbath's classics. Clearly a resurrection for the band. Don't get me wrong, like TE, NSD but you could feel that the band was on an alarming rate while Heaven and hell, brought back the excitement and energy to the band and you can feel that. It is a great album from start to finish while Blizzard Of Ozz, is having its moments but it is having some songs which im not into them much.

So, my pick in this debate, is Heaven and hell with flying colors.

Comment

'Heaven and Hell' is quite an odd album when you think it came after 'Never Say Day'. It is just so different in nearly every way - not least sonically. I know that it's the new beginning for the band, so it makes sense that there is a new flavour happening in the music, but it still surprises me at how different the Dio chapter would be.

I was listening to 'Mob Rules' in the car yesterday just thinking how far removed it is from 'Sabotage' which only came out 5 years earlier. I know people absolutely worship the Dio Sabbath albums, and I get it, but I almost wish they had have changed the name of the band or something. I far and away prefer the Ozzy albums, especially the first six. Then of course the Tony Martin albums are even further away, although I personally really love those releases. I actually prefer Tony Martin to Ronnie Dio. Not many people out there would feel that way, I bet.

I wonder what it was like when 'Heaven and Hell' was actually first released, as a Sabbath fan. Were people thinking, "Yes, Sabbath are back" or "this is new Sabbath"? I'd be really interested to know.

Another aspect that for me falls in favour of 'Blizzard of Ozz' is the album artwork. The angels smoking cigarettes is pretty cool, no doubt, but that shot of Ozzy on the cover of 'Blizzard' is amazing.

Comment

Blizzard Of Ozz will always triumph over post Ozzy/Sabbath, sorry it's just the way it is. When I first had these two albums, I listened to and liked Blizzard more, this is before I even heard Ozzy/Sabbath, I was an Ozzy fanatic before I became a Sabbath fanatic, and when that happened it was the Ozzy era sparked by the Speak Of The Devil album.

Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary of A Madman will always top anything post Ozzy/Sabbath always.
                  "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                  "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                  ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                    Blizzard Of Ozz will always triumph over post Ozzy/Sabbath, sorry it's just the way it is. When I first had these two albums, I listened to and liked Blizzard more, this is before I even heard Ozzy/Sabbath, I was an Ozzy fanatic before I became a Sabbath fanatic, and when that happened it was the Ozzy era sparked by the Speak Of The Devil album.

Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary of A Madman will always top anything post Ozzy/Sabbath always.
                    I feel this way too, but I think we're in the minority around here! I too was into Ozzy before I was into Sabbath, and I sort of went backwards from 'No More Tears'. It's funny how our entry points into music really shapes our tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                      I feel this way too, but I think we're in the minority around here! I too was into Ozzy before I was into Sabbath, and I sort of went backwards from 'No More Tears'. It's funny how our entry points into music really shapes our tastes.
                      That it is Requiem, the first Ozzy album I had was Bark At The Moon, it was plastered all over MTV, this album is when I became a fanatic and then bought Blizzard and Diary, when I heard those two, that sealed my fate with Ozzy and then Speak Of The Devil with Sabbath.

I liked Heaven And Hell a lot at the time, I first heard it, but Ozzy's voice always trumped everything else, so yes it's what we get into during our formative years that shapes our musical tastes. Ozzy will always be King.
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
                      X