Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Ozzy vs Dio vs Iommi - Round 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzy vs Dio vs Iommi - Round 4

Hello all again,

Thank you for your posts in the other threads - it's really interesting to see that people have such varied opinions on these sets of albums and people's rankings are so different (especially to mine ). We'll move onto the next albums in the chronology. How would you rank the following:

Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin (1986)
    Dio - Dream Evil (1987)
    Iommi (in Sabbath) - Headless Cross (1989)

Just to get the ball rolling, here's how I would rank them:

1st - Headless Cross - This album really blew me away when I first heard it. The previous album (The Eternal Idol) I liked but I kind of thought that the Martin era would never give me the same level of excitement than when listening to the best of the Ozzy or Dio albums. This came mightily close - nearly every song on this album is magnificent. My favs have to be Headless Cross, When Death Calls, Black Moon and Nightwing.

Yes the album does sound a bit dated, and the devil imagery is a bit full on, but I think Iommi, Cozy, Nichols and Martin did the best they could at the time. I think Iommi especially took his time to rebuild the band on the new label and made a sterling choice in taking on Cozy Powell and sticking with Tony Martin. Is it me or does the album sound like symphonic metal in places? - Take Nightwing for example - it's use of strings just reminds me of symphonic metal. Not sure if they were aiming for that sound but it definitely impressed me. In my opinion the best album in the Sabbath canon since the Dio era.

2nd - Dream Evil - My goodness was Dio on such good form for this one. I think nearly every song on this album just rocks like hell and is his best album since Holy Diver. In fact I would probably say this is in my top 3 albums for Dio. As good as this album is, I think it still doesn't beat Headless Cross since very little can beat Iommi's riffs when he's on form. Still this is a proper solid album. Pity that the legacy of this one and the band was shortlived.

3rd - The Ultimate Sin - While by no means a bad album, I think this is one that hasn't stood the test of time well and sounds very dated in places. I really dig the title track and Secret Loser - in fact I would go as far to say that the song Ultimate Sin is probably one of my top 10 favourite Ozzy songs and I find it a pity it was dropped so early from the modern live setlists a few years back. The rest of the album just doesn't stand up so well. I somehow feel that as this was the second with Jake E Lake and they had run out of ideas after the awesome Bark At The Moon album, they somehow working on discarded tracks from the first time around. To be fair there is quite a gap between this one and the other 2 for this ranking.

What are your rankings and opinions?
    Last edited by sin - lum; 04-02-2019, 03:56 PM.

Oh yeah - I forgot to say - Does anyone think that the woman on The Ultimate Sin album cover looks a lot like Sharon Osbourne? Is it meant to be her?

Comment

Originally posted by sin - lum View Post
      Oh yeah - I forgot to say - Does anyone think that the woman on The Ultimate Sin album cover looks a lot like Sharon Osbourne? Is it meant to be her?
      No she was a cheerleader for the Rams football team, she’s not meant to be Sharon.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

1.) Ozzy- Ultimate Sin, great album Ozzy, never disappoints.

2.) Black Sabbath- Headless Cross, sentimental memories.

3.) DIO- Dream Evil, I like this album, but I feel this is where Ronnie stopped being great.
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
          No she was a cheerleader for the Rams football team, she’s not meant to be Sharon.
          Thanks for tidying up that one - I saw the resemblance to Sharon a long time ago and was thinking - surely it can't be her or could it?

Do you know what Ozzy is meant to represent on the cover by any chance?

Comment

Wow I'm surprised you placed Ultimate Sin ahead of Headless Cross - I always thought the masses disliked Ozzy's album

Comment

1- Headless Cross: OK, we're talking about a monumental album and definetely among Black Sabbath's best moments. Really great songwriting, top-notch riffing, top-notch soloing (Brian May did an astonishing work on When Death Calls and of course, master Iommi gave his best), top-notch drumming, top-notch bass playing and of course, top-notch vocal delivery. In so many words, the band was firing on all cylinders. Definetely one of my favorites, definetely one of the best. Every song is killer, i really really really like every second on this album. I LOVE IT.

2-The Ultimate Sin: I have to admit it. At first, i didn't liked this album AT All except Shot In The Dark. But, after some spins, this album, grown up on me. I could definetely live without Never and Fool like you but even with these tracks, i enjoy the album. The production is a bit meh espescially on the drum sound but, i got used to it after a while.

3-Dream Evil: Definetely better than Sacred Heart. But again, apart from seperate tracks, i'm not much into this album. It is not a bad album but, it is not on par with Dio's best moments like Last In Line. However, i really dig some of the songs in there like All the fools sailed away, i could have been a dreamer, Naked in the rain etc. Comparing to the other two albums, it is some steps behind but, certainly, is closely behind them.

Comment

1. Headless Cross
                2. The Ultimate Sin
                3. Dream Evil
                http://struggle021hc.bandcamp.com
                http://www.facebook.com/struggle021hc
                http://pike.bandcamp.com
                http://www.facebook.com/PikeSweden
                http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

Comment

Thanks for tidying up that one - I saw the resemblance to Sharon a long time ago and was thinking - surely it can't be her or could it?

Do you know what Ozzy is meant to represent on the cover by any chance?
                  The evil of war and it's aftermath possibly, I'm not good a deciphering album covers or art.

Wow I'm surprised you placed Ultimate Sin ahead of Headless Cross - I always thought the masses disliked Ozzy's album
                  I love all the Ozzy albums, this album came out when I was in high school, listened to it a lot, not one bad song on the album.

Comment

Requiem's Rankings

1. Ozzy Osbourne - 'The Ultimate Sin'

One of the great albums of the 1980s, I simply love this. The Jake E Lee riffs, the Bob Daisley lyrics, and Ozzy's performance. I don't think it sounds as bad as a lot of people, Daisley included, seem to suggest - to me it sounds like a decent 80s rock sound. It's not polished, but I'm fine with that. Huge hits on this album: the title track, 'Secret Loser' and 'Shot in the Dark' are three of the very best Ozzy tracks. Alcohol bloated Ozzy in the video of the title track is just icing on the cake.

2. Black Sabbath - 'The Headless Cross'

Another amazing album, but again, this is a full 3 years after the Ozzy release. While that isn't so important today, back in the 80s it meant a huge change in production potential, media coverage and image. Things changed so fast from 1980 to 1990. Anyway, Tony Martin is on fire, the songs are gothic and dark and this is a great example of an album that is objectively excellent but that at the time didn't tick the boxes of the hair metal public. Just goes to show how great Tony Iommi is.

3. Dio - 'Dream Evil'

Another Dio album that I don't own but probably should. Craig Goldy does the job on guitars, with Jimmy and Vinny bringing quality to the rhythm section. I've just never been as obsessed with Dio as a lot of metal people, and I don't buy into a lot of the hyperbole. Decent album for sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                      Requiem's Rankings

1. Ozzy Osbourne - 'The Ultimate Sin'

One of the great albums of the 1980s, I simply love this. The Jake E Lee riffs, the Bob Daisley lyrics, and Ozzy's performance. I don't think it sounds as bad as a lot of people, Daisley included, seem to suggest - to me it sounds like a decent 80s rock sound. It's not polished, but I'm fine with that. Huge hits on this album: the title track, 'Secret Loser' and 'Shot in the Dark' are three of the very best Ozzy tracks. Alcohol bloated Ozzy in the video of the title track is just icing on the cake.
                      Great album, your selections are the same as mine, I was 16 at the time and this tour is the one that Metallica opened for Ozzy, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                        Great album, your selections are the same as mine, I was 16 at the time and this tour is the one that Metallica opened for Ozzy, if I remember correctly.
                        You and I share similar tastes when it comes to Ozzy's solo material. Just amazing music.

Comment

You and I share similar tastes when it comes to Ozzy's solo material. Just amazing music.
                          I am looking forward guys to your opinions of Ozzy's 21st century albums. They seem to be the ones that get the most flack unfortunately.

Comment

Ozzy's solo material is very amazing music.

I am looking forward guys to your opinions of Ozzy's 21st century albums. They seem to be the ones that get the most flack unfortunately.
                            Ozzy's later stuff gets more flack, because people get used to a certain Ozzy and when it changes they don't like it, but I love it all.

Comment

Working...
                            X