Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Ozzy vs Dio vs Iommi - Round 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzy vs Dio vs Iommi - Round 7

Time for another round of comparisons in the discographies of our holy trinity. This time we'll compare the following albums:

Iommi (in Sabbath) - Forbidden (1995)

Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis (1995)

Dio - Angry Machines (1996)

As always, I'll share my views:

1) Forbidden - Probably one of the most underrated albums of all time. When I first listened to this I was expecting it to suck big time after reading so many negative reviews and yes the first track is a bit dodgy, but the rest of the album just rocks. One of my favourites from the Martin era.

2) Ozzmosis - The follow up to No More Tears has some solid moments - Perry Mason, I Just Want You & Tomorrow are true gems but the others I don't listen to so much.

3) Angry Machines - As much as I like Strange Highways, this one just doesn't cut it with me so much. While I like a few standout tracks like Institutional Man and a few others, it just sounds like it's a set of songs that didn't quite make the Strange Highways album. Unfortunately I have to say this is probably my least favourite of the Dio albums.

I'm looking forward to your comparisons guys.
    Last edited by sin - lum; 07-25-2019, 08:21 AM.

1.) Ozzmosis, Ozzy voice is amazing on this album, I've grown to appreciate it more than I use to.

2.) Forbidden, my favorite Martin\Sabbath and very underrated.

3.) Angry Machines, while I like this album, I don't like it enough to compete against the above two.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by Ala View Post
      1. Ozzmosis
      2. Forbidden
      3. Angry Machines
      This would be my ranking too.

Ozzmosis has some great tunes and some of Zakk’s Best riffs with Ozzy. Perry Mason, My Jekyll Doesn’t
      Hide and Thunder Underground are my personal favourites.

When it comes to Forbidden, it’s my least favourite album of the TM era. However, there are some good tracks. My favourite is can’t get close enough...especially from when Tony cranks it up and is joined by Neil and Cozy ���� I’ll never forget how powerful that was live at Wolves Civic on the tour!

As for angry machines...I got rid of it after a couple of listens, but each to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon78 View Post

Ozzmosis has some great tunes and some of Zakk’s Best riffs with Ozzy. Perry Mason, My Jekyll Doesn’t

When it comes to Forbidden, it’s my least favourite album of the TM era. However, there are some good tracks. My favourite is can’t get close enough...especially from when Tony cranks it up and is joined by Neil and Cozy ���� I’ll never forget how powerful that was live at Wolves Civic on the tour!

As for angry machines...I got rid of it after a couple of listens, but each to their own.
        I know Angry Machines gets a lot of flack, but I think it's a good album and some good songs on there, different vibe for sure.
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

1. Ozzy Osbourne - 'Ozzmosis'

One of Ozzy's greatest albums in my view, partly because it was the third (and at the time in 1995, current) Ozzy album that I ever got into, and it just really resonates with me. 'Perry Mason', 'I Just Want You', 'My Jekyll Doesn't Hide' are brilliant, but so is the wonderful closer 'Old LA Tonight', which really doesn't get a lot of comment but I think it's one of those underrated classic tracks. The whole album has this Beatles vibe and it's a great version of Ozzy, the sophisticated crooner. Who knew that was possible!

2. Black Sabbath - 'Forbidden'

This is a really strange phenomenon because, like people have pointed out, it's not actually that bad in hindsight. So what that Ice T does that one short rap, it's not the end of the world. Maybe at the time it seemed ridiculous, but I only heard this album about a decade after it came out, so it was already a historical document to me rather than a cutting edge new album. I'm looking forward to the remaster (are they remixing it too?). The negative hysteria surrounding this album is way out of proportion.

3. Dio - 'Angry Machines'

I can't claim to be an expert on this album, but if there's one thing that leaves me very cold, it's mid-era Dio records. I get that he was part of three classic albums (at least), but considering the obsession that (these days) every metal fan seems to have with the guy, you'd think he put out 10 classics. This is fine background noise, but I'd still probably change it if I was near the stereo...

Comment

1.Black Sabbath: Forbidden
            The best songs of these three albums is on this one.

2.DIO:Angry Machines
            There is plenty of good riffing on this album.

3.Ozzy:Ozzmosis
            This one seems to be quite overrated here. It is a lot of soft songs on this album (not my kind of music).
            Last edited by Kennyz; 07-09-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kennyz View Post
              1.Black Sabbath: Forbidden
              The best songs of these three albums is on this one.

2.DIO:Angry Machines
              There is plenty of good riffing on this album.

3.Ozzy:Ozzmosis
              This one seems to be quite overrated here. It is a lot of soft songs on this album (not my kind of music).
              Not liking this order at all K, but to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                Not liking this order at all K, but to each his own.
                But you also like Angry Machines as me. It's not many others here doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kennyz View Post
                  But you also like Angry Machines as me. It's not many others here doing so.
                  Yes you are correct, Angry Machines is a good album and I like it.

Comment

Nice to see that there is at least some admiration for Angry Machines.

I like it when bands do something different and I admire Dio for taking his band into a different direction. However I feel they got it spot on with Strange Highways - the heaviness and anger was all there. My impression is that Angry Machines was again just from the same mould and they were using their backup ideas. Nevertheless it has some decent tracks - Institutional Man, Hunter of the Heart, Golden Rules and This Is Your Life made their way onto my Dio playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Simon78 View Post

I agree - Can't Get Close Enough To You simply rocks! It was when Tony starting cranking the volume up that I started headbanging and thinking 'how can anyone not like this?'

Comment

Working...
                      X