Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ozzy’s Scream - better than it’s given credit for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by deranged View Post
    It's in January as far as I know but still no release date on Amazon.
    It's only a couple of more days till January, I'm surprised it hasn't been announced.

Leave a comment:

• deranged
    replied
    It's in January as far as I know but still no release date on Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by DARKEST LIGHT View Post
    Yeah. The album just sounds "big" to me. But I think he's going to top it with the new one. I initially hated the two new songs but now I rather like them. The hooks really stick. Just like they did on "Scream"
    I'm having good feelings about the new album, I wish they would announce the release date already, like is it in January?

Leave a comment:

• DARKEST LIGHT
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    That's great to hear DL, certainly a lot of raw energy on that album, like Ozzy got reenergized.
    Yeah. The album just sounds "big" to me. But I think he's going to top it with the new one. I initially hated the two new songs but now I rather like them. The hooks really stick. Just like they did on "Scream"

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by DARKEST LIGHT View Post
    I considered it his best post "Bark" album.
    That's great to hear DL, certainly a lot of raw energy on that album, like Ozzy got reenergized.

Leave a comment:

• DARKEST LIGHT
    replied
    I considered it his best post "Bark" album.

Leave a comment:

• MikeTX
    replied
    Scream is no Diary for sure, but I'll also stick up for it. I quite like about half of it and feel lukewarm about the rest. Love Gus G's playing on it and I was hoping Ozzy would keep him around for at least one more album. Zakk's squealing has more than run its course.

I get that LMHYS has kind of a corny chorus you'd expect to hear at a sporting event, but I think it's a great song nonetheless. Classic sounding Ozzy vocal melody in the verses and brilliant solo by Gus. Diggin Me Down is also a very strong track, again with great playing from GG. Fearless, Let It Die and I Want It More are mostly solid. The middle section of Soul Sucker with the faster riff is good, the rest of it unfortunately sucks. The other songs are ok, but don't grab me that much.

I will say though that Scream's album cover is hands down the worst of Ozzy's solo catalog. Just dreadful.

For me, the weakest Ozzy solo record is Down To Earth. That's the one that sounds uninspired, generic and just made to fulfill a contract. Dreamer and Running Out Of Time are decent ballads, but nothing else from that one is memorable IMO. Scream at least feels like it has more energy and potential in the songs, even if not all of them hit the target.

Leave a comment:

• masonic
    replied
    Nothing beats the first 3 Ozzy solo albums to me. All the rest of his albums have a song here and there i like but i dont find myself listening to them really. I never get sick of the Randy Rhodes era stuff plus Bark at the Moon (I got into Ozzy around the time BTM came out, so it holds a special place for me). Diary of a Madman was the first Ozzy album i ever listened to (The cover drew me to it, had me curious what it was), with Little Dolls being the first Ozzy song i heard, and it blew me away from that moment.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by Towelie View Post
    What do you prefer out of Scream or Black Rain?

I would have to say slightly Black Rain, it’s kind of a tie.

Sorry for misspelling your username Towelie, my phone autocorrected.

Leave a comment:

• Towelie
    replied
    Towline thank you for not being a negative Nelly, if I’m not mistaken Soul Sucker was suppose to be the name of the album instead of Scream.
    What do you prefer out of Scream or Black Rain?

Leave a comment:

• Tromafreak
    replied
    Calling out a song for being non-personal is a bit of a pretentious reason for not liking something. There are thousands of great non-personal songs. LMHYS was written to be a fun, crowd-pleaser type song and it succeeds in being just that. If you want something more personal, Life Won't Wait and Time both hit the mark as far as that's concerned.

Not to imply I just hate songs that aren't super deep and personal, but was mostly comparing a mindless song (that's basically about nothing) to the poppy/Nu Metal style that it's a part of. Mindless lyrics put to mindless music. Remembering Scream by that song only, of course, isn't fair, as the album has a little more depth to offer than just that. However, it is a good example of where Ozzy was creatively at the time.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Nice picks. Although Soul Sucker has always been my least favourite of the main album.
    Towelie thank you for not being a negative Nelly, if I’m not mistaken Soul Sucker was suppose to be the name of the album instead of Scream.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 11-19-2019, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Towelie
    replied
    1.) Let Me Hear You Scream
    2.) Life Won't Wait
    3.) I Want It More
    4.) Soul Sucker
    5.) Time

Love the entire album but listed those as my top 5.
    Nice picks. Although Soul Sucker has always been my least favourite of the main album.

Leave a comment:

• Towelie
    replied
    Originally posted by Tromafreak View Post
    I hate it for pretty much all the reasons listed. Some songs are stronger than others, and it has a few moments here and there, but this and Black Rain (which I dislike even more) just sounds so soulless and uninspired. "Let Me Hear You Scream" is the first song that comes to mind when I think of this era in Ozzy's career. So non-personal and completely devoid of substance and creativity. "Ozzy Osbourne wants money and he doesn't give a flying fuck what you think". That's all I hear when listening to that song/album.
    Calling out a song for being non-personal is a bit of a pretentious reason for not liking something. There are thousands of great non-personal songs. LMHYS was written to be a fun, crowd-pleaser type song and it succeeds in being just that. If you want something more personal, Life Won't Wait and Time both hit the mark as far as that's concerned.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    What's everyones favourite 5 off the album?

Mine are:

1. Life Won't Wait
    2. Time
    3. Let It Die
    4. Diggin Me Down
    5. Fearless
    1.) Let Me Hear You Scream
    2.) Life Won't Wait
    3.) I Want It More
    4.) Soul Sucker
    5.) Time

Love the entire album but listed those as my top 5.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X