Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Elf - Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elf - Happy

It's been said by me before, but "Happy" has got to be the best Elf song. It's just so EXACTLY what it's trying to be, and yet I've never heard anything like it. It's lounge, it's Tin Pan Alley, it's blues, it's Louisiana Funeral march. It's melancholy, it's sarcastic...just amazing. And Dio is showing every single nuance he can muster and really hitting all the emotions. The epic ending is huge in a "Hey Jude"ian kind of way. The drums are very organic and a bit sloppy in a way that seems to be an artistic choice.

I wish it got all the credit it deserves. It's a song for all ages, my seven year old twin boys think it's Amazing (and that's high praise from one of them, who hates just about all music) (my 10 year old daughter loves "Rainbow Eyes") and it's a song to get old by.

One wonders if the Elf material is a little bit more "true" to Ronald Padovana and man, I wish I could just read or watch an interview where he is proud of the work he did with them and directs people to it. Some of it doesn't quite land, too "out there" for some...but man, "Happy" is one helluva song.

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    It's been said by me before, but "Happy" has got to be the best Elf song. It's just so EXACTLY what it's trying to be, and yet I've never heard anything like it. It's lounge, it's Tin Pan Alley, it's blues, it's Louisiana Funeral march. It's melancholy, it's sarcastic...just amazing. And Dio is showing every single nuance he can muster and really hitting all the emotions. The epic ending is huge in a "Hey Jude"ian kind of way. The drums are very organic and a bit sloppy in a way that seems to be an artistic choice.

I wish it got all the credit it deserves. It's a song for all ages, my seven year old twin boys think it's Amazing (and that's high praise from one of them, who hates just about all music) (my 10 year old daughter loves "Rainbow Eyes") and it's a song to get old by.

One wonders if the Elf material is a little bit more "true" to Ronald Padovana and man, I wish I could just read or watch an interview where he is proud of the work he did with them and directs people to it. Some of it doesn't quite land, too "out there" for some...but man, "Happy" is one helluva song.
    I like Happy, as Annie New Orleans, When She Smiles, Hoochie Koochie Lady, Never More and I'm Coming Back For you, the latter two possibly being my favorite, I pretty much like all the Elf albums.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

HAPPY! \m/

Comment

This is fantastic https://youtu.be/yC2oHyqQUoQ love Dio \m/

Comment

Elf makes me happy. Always have, always will. Even when Dio passed away, I started the career-spanning listening voyage with Elf because of the special magic of comfort and peace that Elf brings.
          "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Prentice Wood is a place that welcomes all, a sanctuary where friendship flourishes, a camp where bonfires never go out, a solace where death and evil can't enter...

Elf truly makes happy, wherever and whenever, forever...
            "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

I just got me a new Elf patch, a rare and hard to find one, they're up on eBay now, limited quantity I believe.

I will be listening to all their albums in order this week and next, Elf is great stuff, I'm Coming Back For You!!!!
              Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 12-21-2019, 07:49 AM.
              "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
              "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
              ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Working...
              X