X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Purple - Whoosh!

The album is out for few weeks now.
    What are your thoughts?
    Which songs would you think would make a good addition to the setlist?

Only listened to it twice so far. One stand out for me so far is "What The What". Not as solid as their last 2. But I am glad they are still putting albums out. Many of the bands of 60's, 70's, and even 80's are not putting much out. Most retired. Seems like Don Airey really contributed a lot to this, a lot of intros.

Comment

The DVD documentary is great.
      I listened to it twice too, one from gramophone records in the box, the second one from Germa edition CD with bonsu tracks.
      It's a losid, more relaxed record.

Comment

The whole albums on Youtube now
        "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
        R. Blackmore

Comment

Overall I enjoyed it and thought it was satisfying in places. This was the first Deep Purple album I heard in "real time" i.e. actually listened to the album upon its official release on CD (as opposed to listening to it years after it being released like all the other albums).

I really enjoyed the following tracks - Throw My Bones, Step By Step, The Power Of The Moon, Dancing In My Sleep. Unfortunately the other tracks range from ok to not that great.

As I said before I thought it was satisfying in places but I think for me the best album they recorded with the current setup was "Infinite". I think that album had a clear purpose on being a straight through hard rock album. To my ears, it sounds like they wanted to be a bit more experimental with this one and perhaps lacks a bit of cohesion.

Has anyone seen the interview with Roger Glover and the producer Bob Ezrin on the DVD? I'm not an expert on body language but I can't help but get the impression that Bob Ezrin thinks that any kind of melody the band come up with sounds amazing and Roger sometimes looks at him as if to say "Really? It's that good?".

Hopefully there will yet another Deep Purple album in the works in the coming months. With the coronavirus pandemic, anything seems possible now in the music world.

Comment

I have heard the albusm since Now What in "real time". Infinite is the heaviest and most solid, Now What was a shy comeback, while Whoosh is relaxed and more chill.

I have the version with DVD, though I literally don't get any kind of non-verbal communication.

Comment

Originally posted by SF01 View Post
              I have heard the albusm since Now What in "real time". Infinite is the heaviest and most solid, Now What was a shy comeback, while Whoosh is relaxed and more chill.

I have the version with DVD, though I literally don't get any kind of non-verbal communication.
              The non-verbal communication was just my impression from watching the interview. I am indeed no expert and am probably wrong about what I said. There is a melody Ezrin plays from Steve Morse - a really soft melody which Ezrin loves. Do you know which from which song that is?

Looking back over the Bob Ezrin produced albums, I would rank them as 1) Infinite, 2) Whoosh!, 3) Now What?!

Infinite is one album I really enjoyed and thought it would be a great way to end their discography.

Whoosh! has some good songs here and there.

Now What?! never really caught me. Sure I like a few songs like A Simple Song, and Vincent Price but overall I can't say it really struck me as a good album.

I find Deep Purple's albums seem to very widespread from a musical perspective and fans' reactions seem to differ widely for each album. For example I never really got why Purpendicular was so beloved and Bananas not. Personally I thought Bananas had some great songs on it while Purpendicular was lacking in many areas.

Comment

Judging from the few songs I've heard from it the album's decent. But I just can't stand their ridiculous fucking titles. "Bananas", "Now What!?" and now "Whoosh!"? I mean, come on. They've totally lost it in that department. I mean, "Bananas"? COME THE FUCK ON!!
                you got a killer scene there, man...

http://10000years.bandcamp.com
                http://www.facebook.com/TenThousandyrs
                http://www.facebook.com/DVRSweden

Comment

I agree about the album titles. A bit stupid. Too bad they don't have a few more fans, it doesn't take a lot nowadays to make the Top 40 in sales, but they barely make it into the Top 200.

-led sabbath

Comment

You guys are right about the album titles. Ok I think with Whoosh! it's meant to be an onomatopoeic word in that you say it like "Wsh! That was good". I think I get the idea but having to explain it to people just leads to getting blank stares in return.

I think Bananas might have a more subtle message as a middle finger to the record label at the time. This was the last album they released through EMI after which they were dropped by the label. I guess calling it Bananas and having "that" cover could have simply been a way to sabotage album sales for the label since the band probably knew they were going to be dropped after the album came out.

Comment

Working...
                    X