This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geezer - Giving Up The Ghost

Today I listened to the song called Giving Up The Ghost. I heard it is about putting Tony Iommi down. Is that true? The lyrics are pretty hateful ("you dont bother me, you are history,a legend in your own mind"). Were the guys enemies?

Re: Geezer - Giving Up The Ghost

There was definitely a time, following Geezer's last departure from Sabbath, when they were on the outs. This was after the release of Cross Purposes and its subsequent tour. Geezer took a number of shots at Iommi (and Tony Martin) in the media. This song was one of them. If I recall correctly, Iommi didn't take the bait and kept quiet.

Comment

Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg If I recall correctly, Iommi didn't take the bait and kept quiet.
      Good move.
      >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
      SHIP ERTH THIS IS
      YR CPTIN SPEKING
      YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg There was definitely a time, following Geezer's last departure from Sabbath, when they were on the outs. This was after the release of Cross Purposes and its subsequent tour. Geezer took a number of shots at Iommi (and Tony Martin) in the media. This song was one of them. If I recall correctly, Iommi didn't take the bait and kept quiet.
        They're buddies now, so all that ends well ...

Comment

Yeah bad blood between the Cross Purpose session. From what have I been hearing, Tony Iommi started with that Nativity in Black Tribute album.
          Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Comment

Marc is right, I vaguely recall that there was some disagreements between Iommi and Geezer/Gloria Butler about the first Nativity in Black album and, as things are wont to do with this band, all hell broke loose.

Comment

I didn't any of this. Can you give more detail about the situation with the first Nativity in Black album and the fight.

Comment

I didn't hear any of this. Can you give more detail about the situation with the first Nativity in Black album and the fight.

Comment

There were hard feelings going down between Tony and Geezer around the time of Headless Cross as well.

I'm not sure if it was before or after the album was recorded, but Gloria Butler (according to what Cozy Powell said in Metal Forces around that time) kept saying Geezer was going to come back, but when Iommi would press for specifics she just kept delaying. Cozy said "she led us up the garden path a bit."

I think Tony finally threw his hands up and said, "alright, we've got studio time booked" and hired Laurence Cottle to do the bass tracks. Then when it came time to go on tour he asked Neil Murray to play - a very wise decision. Murray's among the best.
                  He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Music business is pretty rough.

Comment

Geezer kept slamming Tony in the interviews around '95 - '96, and this song was another jibe. Tony (and Tony Martin) responded by writing the song "Guilty as Hell" on the Forbidden album that was admittedly about the band situation as of autumn '94.

Geezer's statements around the time were pretty pathetic I must admit. Some were exaggerations (like "I wrote like 95% of Sabbath material), some bordered on childishness ("Tony Martin the current Sabbath vocalist who hates all heavy music"). He was off the rails or something. Though not as bad as Ozzy ("the other guys, eat shit and fucking die").
                      "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

I often wondered why Geezer joined Ozzy's band as a paid sideman, except for the money. I would have found it gutting to work for someone you used to be on an equal footing with in Black Sabbath.
                        He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally Posted By: DiosSword I often wondered why Geezer joined Ozzy's band as a paid sideman, except for the money. I would have found it gutting to work for someone you used to be on an equal footing with in Black Sabbath.
                          Geezer went through a period where his loyalties seemed to blow whichever way the wind took them. I'm not sure that ever changed, actually ... I'm just glad that at the moment he appears to be loyal to Heaven and Hell.

Comment

Originally Posted By: DiosSword I often wondered why Geezer joined Ozzy's band as a paid sideman, except for the money. I would have found it gutting to work for someone you used to be on an equal footing with in Black Sabbath.
                            Geezer went through a period where his loyalties seemed to blow whichever way the wind took them. I'm not sure that ever changed, actually ... I'm just glad that at the moment he appears to be loyal to Heaven and Hell.

Comment

1) Where I can get that song?

2) Every musician and man say bad things when the blood is boiling.

3) We all know pissing over Iommi and Martin always gave the other sabbs media.

4) Money make people act un-naturaly. I believe Geezer is a lovely person, but I think him, Bill and Ozzy always saw Iommi as "the boss".
                              Can't you see what I see
                              You and I victims of Their word
                              As the master of power
                              Try to poison our world
                              ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Comment

Working...
                              X