The new album is called "The Devil You Know"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new album is called "The Devil You Know"

The Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules albums both followed a similar format. Someone on this board (I don't remember who) once said that mob rules started out all pumped up with adrenaline, then turned mellow and desperate towards the end, and you can see that in HnH, too. Dehumanizer, on the other hand, was more a mish mosh of songs, each one heavier than the last, that lacked any sort of greater musical theme across songs (if there is, that'd be a cool topic of discussion to bring up).

Given all that, what do you think the new album will look like? Will it have an overarching musical theme like the line-up's first two albums, or are we just getting a bunch of really good songs? I'd prefer the former. What do you guys think?

Prefer the former, expecting the latter. There was so much more melody on HnH and MR, but not so much on Dehumanizer.
    Rise up, resist, and be the master of your fate
    Don't look back, live for today - tomorrow is too late!

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer830 View Post
      Prefer the former, expecting the latter. There was so much more melody on HnH and MR, but not so much on Dehumanizer.
      True, and well said. If the three "new" songs are any indication, the sound & feel of the first two Dio albums are unfortunately long, long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        Dehumanizer, on the other hand, was more a mish mosh of songs, each one heavier than the last, that lacked any sort of greater musical theme across songs (if there is, that'd be a cool topic of discussion to bring up).
        Agreed that each song is overwhelmingly heavy, and to me, that IS the theme, along with the otherwise unexplained title of Dehumanizer - The album is ploddingly heavy, soul-crushing like the modern day - Stripped of humanity, but still holding out hope. But hey, that's just me.

All the best,
        PAULIE
        http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

To a certain degree if every album sounded the same than a band wouldnt be as good. They need different sounds and musical taste. It shows how good they r as musicians. They should do different things but still keep their sound and style which their fans come to love. And with every album some fans will like more than others, and vice verse with a diferent album.
          Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

I don't care about the arrangement and wont be complaining like some folks here. I'm just so happy we are getting new music from Black Sabbath. We've waited so long. Instead of complaining about non-sense we should be grateful the masters put their differences aside and are releasing new material. This new album could just as easily not exist so I for one am ecstatic.

Comment

Originally posted by RedZero View Post
              I don't care about the arrangement and wont be complaining like some folks here. I'm just so happy we are getting new music from Black Sabbath. We've waited so long. Instead of complaining about non-sense we should be grateful the masters put their differences aside and are releasing new material. This new album could just as easily not exist so I for one am ecstatic.
              You misunderstand, pal. I'm raising this as an academic thing. I don't think a single Sabbath fan would consider this new album bad for any trivial reason. It's just that what Sabbath showed us with H&H and MR was a very interesting formula. Repeating it would make it stale, but the band should do something in the same vein.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                You misunderstand, pal. I'm raising this as an academic thing. I don't think a single Sabbath fan would consider this new album bad for any trivial reason. It's just that what Sabbath showed us with H&H and MR was a very interesting formula. Repeating it would make it stale, but the band should do something in the same vein.

There's nothing wrong with kicking around ideas and theories about it. We still have to wait over three more months to get the new album, what else are we going to do? Its like seeing a giftwrapped present under the tree. You can't open it till X-mas, but you'll still look at it and think about what it could be and what you hope it is. It beats sitting around twiddling our thumbs about it.
                Damian
                Super Moderator
                Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

Song selection on an album is usually a fairly thought out endeavor. I think within the realm of material they had to work with, they made the albums flow very well from song to song. And they'll do that again I'm sure.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by overarching theme. I don't see much of any specific theme on either first two albums. But I like that each song from a tempo standpoint is different in relation to the songs before & after. Sometimes when more then one song on an album has a similar tempo or feel and they're grouped together one after the next, for me it seems to make the album drag a little. So Mob Rules for instance is very nicely balanced. It starts out faster, then starts slowing gradually from song to song, before hitting it's 2nd wind on Mob Rules, etc.
                  The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

I think the main difference between the running order of H&H/Mob Rules v Dehumanizer was the emergence of the CD.

In the old vinyl days, bands took a lot more care in pacing & running order... Die Young wasn't 'track 6' but 'Side 2, Song 2'... and I really think that it works better that way... The pacing was based more on the side of vinyl than the whole album.

CDs - more and more - have all the best songs stacked at the front for those casual listeners who don't listen to a record as a whole piece... Which is more and more prevalent in this digital age where songs can be cherry picked online.

Comment

I would like to see a 1 part H&H, 1 part MR, and 1 part Dehumanizer and dash of Dio Years (new tracks) thrown in, and add a touch of Fused to make the perfect recipe for the new release.

I am ready for this CD to be release NOW! I am very excited to get this in my hands.
                      "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

I agree each album has to have differences or it would all sound the same. The music has to stay fresh. I am glad that these guys put their differences aside and a new album on the way. I can't wait!

Comment

The new album is called "The Devil You Know"

Based on the known song titles I would go with "Breaking Into Heaven". Anybody want to share their creative output on the name of the new album?
                          http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Comment

sound s like a great album title to me

" breaking into heaven"

Comment

If this was a Dio solo album, it'd be called Neverwhere

Breaking into Heaven sounds like the likliest candidate so far, but I it doesn't quite do it for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X