Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharon Arden recommended RJD to replace Ozzy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharon Arden recommended RJD to replace Ozzy??

There is a link on the official site that goes to Noise Creep, there they have the full version of Bible Black streaming in stereo. But much more interesting is the "exclusive" article that is written with it. Has anyone heard this little nugget before? And forgive me if you had, but this is the first I heard of it. If true, definitely would explain alot of the animosity between these two.

Heaven and Hell (Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice), "Bible Black" -- Song Premiere
    Filed under: Exclusive 3.24.2009 12:00PM | By: Carlos Ramirez

Featuring Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice, Heaven and Hell is essentially the Black Sabbath line-up that was together from 1979-1982 and then again in 1991-1992. After the success of their 2007 and 2008 reunion tours, the quartet decided to use the new moniker and enter the recording studio. Hitting store shelves on April 28, 'The Devil You Know' is Heaven and Hell's official debut album but the crushing results could have only come from master veterans like these.

In our tireless pursuit of providing our readers with the hottest exclusives in metal and hard rock, Noisecreep has gotten its hands on "Bible Black," the first single from 'Heaven and Hell.' The molasses-thick riffs, slow-burning tempo, and Dio's instantly engaging vocal melodies hit hard and will surely silence the naysayers who doubted the band still had the fury to pull off such a heavy statement. If this song is any indication of what lies ahead for us, 'The Devil You Know' is going to be one ugly bastard of an album!

Metal History: When Black Sabbath's original singer's life became completely unmanageable due to a colossal addiction to drugs and alcohol, the British combo were forced to fire him. The only problem was, the guy in question happened to be Ozzy Osbourne. The split would prove to be one of the most significant moments in heavy metal history.

Luckily for the band and ultimately, the listening public, their manager's daughter (ironically Sharon Arden, who famously would go on to marry Ozzy) suggested former Rainbow and Elf frontman Ronnie James Dio and the band wisely took her advice. The change of guard injected fresh energy and vitality to Black Sabbath's new material and gave the future Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees a new lease on life. The combination of Tony Iommi's meaty guitar riffs and Dio's soul-stirring vocals is one of rock's unholiest unions. Sabbath would go on to make three essential studio albums with the American singer spread out over a decade.

I read that yesterday too when I was trying to find a link to the full BB somg version. I don't believe that's the case, I know I read Iommi met Dio at the Rainbow club in LA and invited him over to his house that he was renting and recording tracks that ended up being H&H. Now we're suppose to belive Sharon Arden Osbourne set that up? I never heard that version before and highly doubt it's true.
    "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Comment

It wouldn't really surprise me if it was true. Iommi and Dio may have known each other, but its not out of the realm of possiblity that someone else suggested that they work together. Sharon was working for her father at the time and he was Sabbath's manager. I don't think that Sharon began her battles with Dio and Sabbath until after she broke with her father.

Comment

Actually Wikipedia backs up that information too.
        "Sharon Arden, (later Sharon Osbourne) daughter of Black Sabbath manager Don Arden, suggested former Rainbow vocalist Ronnie James Dio to replace Ozzy Osbourne in 1979."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_S...2.80.931982.29

Scroll down to the Heaven and Hell/Mob Rules section and it's the first line of it.
        I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

This all looks like shit to me. I was following the band not long after this, and in 30 years of following Black Sabbath, I have never EVER EVER heard this story until today.

Now I'm not egotistical to think I cannot be wrong here, but come on guys. If this were true, don't you think we would have heard about it before now?

Also, you can never trust Wikipedia completely - anyone can put anything there.

Edit: Also, even if this does turn out to be true.. I'm sick and tired of talking about Sharon regarding everything single thing that happens with Sabbath/H&H. I mean come on, can't we NOT talk about her? YEESH!
          Last edited by Joe Siegler; 03-25-2009, 10:08 AM.
          Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
          View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

I agree with Joe on this. If this was true, one would think we would have heard of it at least once in these past 30 years. It would be highly probable that, during the years the Ozzy / Sabbath wars were the worst, in the early to mid 80s, then someone from the Ozzy camp would have pointed at some point or another how the guy who had committed the offence of replacing Ozzy in Sabbath only had the job thanks to the good will of Sharon, wouldn't it ?

Now, about the fact that Tony and Dio might have known each other, but not to the point of working together, well, at some point in early 1979, when things where getting out of control, Tony Iommi considered leaving Sabbath, and he contacted Dio (who had just been fired from Rainbow) to create a new band. He finally decided to stay with Sabbath, only to fire Ozzy and hire Dio and few months after that.

I don't really see how Sharon would fit in the picture here (especially if you consider how the Arden camp tried to reunite Ozzy and Sabbath during the whole recording of the "Heaven and Hell" album, eventually leading to Don Arden breaking Sabbath's contract).
            Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies don’t use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of “Dehumanizer”.
            "Black Sabbath : la Bête venue de Birmingham"

Comment

Will probably never know wether or not it was true, the thing that I found most interesting is that it is a story associated with the official site.

Comment

I've read two books on Sabbath (Doom let loose and The Battle for Black Sabbath) and I vaguely remember reading about this. But it was more like they were all in the Rainbow and Sharon introduced Ronnie to Tony, just like you introduce a friend to somebody, I don't think they knew what would happen.
                I have to look it up, if you have these books try to look for it too.
                But still, it's not that she suggested to work together, just introduced them.
                As far as I can remember, so I read it before somewhere....
                www.distant-past.ch
                www.emerald.ch

Comment

Originally posted by mike146 View Post
                  Will probably never know wether or not it was true, the thing that I found most interesting is that it is a story associated with the official site.
                  It's rather funny how some highly unprobable (not to say almost impossible) random trivia no one has ever heard of can pop up somewhere on the internet, and even when given known facts that seem to proove the "newly discovered" random trivia is wrong, still some people are ready to believe anything, just because we "will probably never know wether or not it was true". Nowadays, one doesn't have to prove what he's saying is true, others have to prove he is wrong.

If it's that simple, alright then : Tony Iommi has my full name tattooed on his ass. From now on, until anyone can prove this is wrong, then we'll assume it can be true.
                  Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies don’t use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of “Dehumanizer”.

Comment

Originally posted by evileye View Post
                    I've read two books on Sabbath (Doom let loose and The Battle for Black Sabbath) and I vaguely remember reading about this. But it was more like they were all in the Rainbow and Sharon introduced Ronnie to Tony, just like you introduce a friend to somebody, I don't think they knew what would happen.
                    I have to look it up, if you have these books try to look for it too.
                    But still, it's not that she suggested to work together, just introduced them.
                    As far as I can remember, so I read it before somewhere....
                    Sharon might be the one that introduced them. This could be right. But if this happened, then it had to be during Dio's tenure in Rainbow, which means it might have been anywhere from 1975 to 1978, and at the time Ozzy in Sabbath was filling the pockets of the Arden family, so I don't really see Sharon wishing him to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by mike146 View Post
                      That doesn't mean anything. I sent the link to a few people, and they hadn't read the text. Wouldn't surprise me if Rhino (who set this up, I believe) didn't read the text on the page either, they just looked to see if the stream worked.
                      Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
                      View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Count me in on the "it sounds like bullshit" crowd.

Wikipedia is not a reliable source, which is why it is not usable as source material for writing academic papers in the vast majority of circumstances.

I don't know if Joe remembers this, but a couple of years ago I e-mailed him about a Wikipedia entry that said Geezer Butler was bisexual.

I became a Sabbath fan around 1981, when I got Heaven And Hell. I never heard anything about Sharon Arden Osbourne playing any kind of role in getting Ronnie James Dio and Tony Iommi to put together a band. For one thing, she was too busy trying to pull Ozzy out of the Le Parc Hotel where he'd been holed up in a room full of pizza, booze, drugs and shit ever since copping the sack from Sabbath.

I don't even know how they first came to know each other, unless it was due to the fact that most of the British guitar heroes (Iommi, Blackmore, Clapton, Beck, Page, Townshend, etc.) of that era knew one another to some extent, and that Iommi met RJD through Ritchie Blackmore. But that's just a guess.
                        He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Featuring Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice, Heaven and Hell is essentially the Black Sabbath line-up that was together from 1979 -1982
                          I know I only brought this up yesterday, but you can't trust the person who wrote that article when they can't even get simple dates right.
                          >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
                          SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
                          YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
                          YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                            I don't know if Joe remembers this, but a couple of years ago I e-mailed him about a Wikipedia entry that said Geezer Butler was bisexual.
                            I remember that, and Geezer's response when Joe told him about it.

The same has been said about Lemmy too. Lemmy!
                            >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
                            SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
                            YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
                            YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                              I don't even know how they first came to know each other, unless it was due to the fact that most of the British guitar heroes (Iommi, Blackmore, Clapton, Beck, Page, Townshend, etc.) of that era knew one another to some extent, and that Iommi met RJD through Ritchie Blackmore. But that's just a guess.
                              Through Ritchie or through Cozy. Tony and Cozy were friends since 1974. This could be another lead.

Comment

Working...
                              X