Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else bothered by the amount of compression used on TDYK???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else bothered by the amount of compression used on TDYK???

Anybody???

Pretty good album, but the compression used on it SUCKS... Hard to listen to it in the pickup truck, have to change the CD player's EQ settings to deal with it, and the player and speakers are fine... no technical problems. Sounds great on a CD Walkman with the bass EQ turned off.

What's your take on this?!?!
    "My sunshine is wind and rain and thunder."

I've noticed no problems...I've played it on my computer and in my car and never had to touch the EQ it sounds just great.

Comment

It is compressed, but it is no where near as bad as "Death Magnetic" by Metallica or Whitesnakes latest. It sounds fine in the car and through the computer, but on my home stereo, it is very LOUD and bassy. I have to adjust the EQ to get it to sound right.

You've hit the nail on the head. So many only listen to music anymore with headphones or on the computer, that all bands are doing this now.
      "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmFan View Post
        Anybody???

Pretty good album, but the compression used on it SUCKS... Hard to listen to it in the pickup truck, have to change the CD player's EQ settings to deal with it, and the player and speakers are fine... no technical problems. Sounds great on a CD Walkman with the bass EQ turned off.

What's your take on this?!?!
        It's a real drag. It's that weak, loud sound that comes with this nonsense. The drums have less punch than they should as a result. You can hear Appice hitting the living daylights out of the kit but it doesn't pack the dynamic attack that they should have because the thing is squashed with digital limiting.

I bought the vinyl and it trounces the CD. This was a Pro-Tools job in the first place so don't expect analog warmth and fire, but the compression factor is a big improvement and the drums have a lot more impact.
        "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
        -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by H&H View Post
          It is compressed, but it is no where near as bad as "Death Magnetic" by Metallica
          Death Magnetic sounds fine. The problem is the musical quality, not the sound homie g. :V

Comment

I agre with H&H. It doesn't bother me like other recent releases do. I will have to pick up the vinyl but I am sure Jeff is also correct. Since this is a hugely influential band it would have been nice if they made a statement (with their recordings) against the "loudness war". I haven't looked at the "Devils" waveforms yet but it sounds much more dynamic than that squashed Magnetic CD or many other recent pop metal hits.

Comment

Originally posted by The Butt View Post
              Death Magnetic sounds fine. The problem is the musical quality, not the sound homie g. :V
              If you think Death Magnetic sounds fine, you must be listening with the organ you've taken your username from

Comment

I just picked up the vinyl this afternoon... Had to adjust my turntable system's EQ, also. Awesome poster, BTW!
                "My sunshine is wind and rain and thunder."

Comment

All I have is a big Kenwood integrated stereo amplifier, tower speakers with 2 x 10" bass cones, a 5" squawker and a 2" tweeter. Plus a Kenwood active subwoofer with 10" cone. I have no EQ, but I've set the amplifier's bass and treble settings to 4/5 and I also use loudness. I've set the subwoofer to 50% volume, 12dB, 400Hz cut, music mode.

By this setup the sound of the new album is KILLER...and I only use a maximum of about 10-15 % of the main power...I don't know about any compression, I don't have any specific programs to analyze the sound, all I have is my ears and my taste. I like it or not.
                  "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy the O View Post
                    If you think Death Magnetic sounds fine, you must be listening with the organ you've taken your username from
                    That wasn't the only thing he was wrong about. The musical quality of the album is fantastic too. Best thing outta Metallica since 1988.
                    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

Is it only me or does it sound like Dio's voice is clipped at 1:27 on Bible Black?

"The next one says I wish that you were d-crack-ead."

The blood runs free
                      The rain turns red
                      Give me the wine you keep the bread

Comment

Originally posted by cwilder86 View Post
                        That wasn't the only thing he was wrong about. The musical quality of the album is fantastic too. Best thing outta Metallica since 1988.
                        Off-topic, but I agree 100%!

Comment

I made a topic about this, but it was ignored.
                          I think the mix in general sucks.

You see, with most albums. it should be, Drums, Guitar, Vocals, Bass (in that order from loudest, to softest.)

They got it wrong here. REALLY WRONG.
                          To me, it sounds like this.

Guitar, Vocals, Bass, Drums.
                          THE DRUMS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!

Comment

Originally posted by MobRules View Post
                            I made a topic about this, but it was ignored.
                            I think the mix in general sucks.

You see, with most albums. it should be, Drums, Guitar, Vocals, Bass (in that order from loudest, to softest.)

They got it wrong here. REALLY WRONG.
                            To me, it sounds like this.

Guitar, Vocals, Bass, Drums.
                            THE DRUMS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!
                            I agree to an extent, but trust me, the amount of compression used on the mastering for CD release is what is making this a bigger issue than it needed to be.

The drums on the vinyl crush the CD. IMO, digital limting and compression have the greatest impact on drums, producing that sort of weak sound where it is as if they can't go any louder for big fills and so forth.

For those who aren't clear what we're talking about, this has nothing to do with EQ (I like the EQ settings on the new CD just fine - nice and warm). This little two minute video does a great job explaining what is going on to make CDs louder at lower volumes these days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

is a great little 2 minute video on the problem. T
                            "It is not opinion that Ozzy peaked on Sabotage, it is a measurable fact."
                            -WTB

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              I agree to an extent, but trust me, the amount of compression used on the mastering for CD release is what is making this a bigger issue than it needed to be.

The drums on the vinyl crush the CD. IMO, digital limting and compression have the greatest impact on drums, producing that sort of weak sound where it is as if they can't go any louder for big fills and so forth.

For those who aren't clear what we're talking about, this has nothing to do with EQ (I like the EQ settings on the new CD just fine - nice and warm). This little two minute video does a great job explaining what is going on to make CDs louder at lower volumes these days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

is a great little 2 minute video on the problem. T
                              That is neat! I wish it could be fixed,
                              If I were at the knobs, I'd mix another MOB RULES.

Comment

Working...
                              X