Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Follow the Tears" should really be the show opener!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Follow the Tears" should really be the show opener!

    I normally HATE it when artists open with a new/slower tune, but DAMN... "Follow the Tears" would be a perfect show-opener!!! "E5150" into "Follow the Tears"... close your eyes while listening to the song and just imagine it in your mind. Great menacing gothic horror-movie intro, with the stage lights flashing just like they do during the "E5150" intro, plus the opening verse "Come lie on a bed of nails and slumber, Rise up but the hands all pull you down, My sunshine is wind and rain and thunder, I sing but I can't make a song", and of course, the chorus "If you want to know where I've been hiding all these years, Follow the Tears!" (since RJD was "hiding" from Sabbath for so many years...) Then kick it up another notch right into "The Mob Rules" or "Neon Knights".

    Just a thought...
    Last edited by TransAmFan; 06-08-2009, 09:10 PM.
    "My sunshine is wind and rain and thunder."

  • #2
    Originally posted by TransAmFan View Post
    I normally HATE it when artists open with a new/slower tune, but DAMN... "Follow the Tears" would be a perfect show-opener!!! "E5150" into "Follow the Tears"... close your eyes while listening to the song and just imagine it in your mind. Great menacing gothic horror-movie intro, with the stage lights flashing just like they do during the "E5150" intro, plus the opening verse "Come lie on a bed of nails and slumber, Rise up but the hands all pull you down, My sunshine is wind and rain and thunder, I sing but I can't make a song", and of course, the chorus "If you want to know where I've been hiding all these years, Follow the Tears!" (since RJD was "hiding" from Sabbath for so many years...) Then kick it up another notch right into "The Mob Rules" or "Neon Knights".

    Just a thought...
    I agree. FTT would be a sick opener

    Comment


    • #3
      Agreed. I always thought Atom & Evil would be a kickass show opener also.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think it didn't work too well with After All (The Dead) on the '07 tour, so why would it with A&E or FFT? I think that the opener should be a fast song.

        I would have loved to hear Ear in the Wall or Eating the Cannibals as the first song.
        "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

        Comment


        • #5
          As long as these four guys are doing shows I don't really care what the opener is. But of course I have wishes too I'm just so freaking happy that they are playing together at all.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rover View Post
            I think it didn't work too well with After All (The Dead) on the '07 tour, so why would it with A&E or FFT? I think that the opener should be a fast song.

            I would have loved to hear Ear in the Wall or Eating the Cannibals as the first song.
            I don't know how you figure it "didn't work", because as far as this band is concerned, they have a lot of darker, slower tunes that fill its repetoir, and anyone who is coming to listen to Heaven and Hell, and know them, know what to expect. Sure, you'll get some new potential fans who've perhaps never heard them, that might appreciate a faster tune or few, but that's really not something they're going to get en masse, anyway.

            Besides, really, for me, some of their best moments come in their doomiest riffs, while their faster songs tend to just bring a little more complete life to the whole set. I really rather enjoyed "After All" as an opener, myself, and I agree that FTT could potentially do well too.

            EDIT: That's not to say that I think a faster song is a bad way to go, btw, it's just that I disagree with the assessment that "After All", "didn't work so well".
            Last edited by Ryan Porter; 06-09-2009, 07:02 AM.
            How could this poison be the dream of my soul
            How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

            Comment


            • #7
              Mob Rules was a million times better than After All as an opener. FTT is a great song, but shouldn't open.
              "hungry for another bite of wrong"

              Comment


              • #8
                I might not have worded this properly: After All failed to spark the momentum of the show. Mob Rules is much better in this respect. I would prefer any band to open with fast (and preferably new) songs and then unwind from there, if they so choose.
                "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

                Comment


                • #9
                  If anything, at LEAST play the intro to Follow the Tears and let it lead into Mob Rules or something. The time has come to retire the E5150/MR routine!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'd rather have Atom and Evil open. I really would like to hear it like and I think it would do the job fine.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      FTT could work as an opener but I also think Fear would do better there if they wanna open with a new song. FFT could get things going OK but Fear is a little faster and could work better in the opening spot.

                      They need to change the opening song. I have no problem with TMR but it's getting old as the opener.
                      Nobody will ever let you know
                      When you ask the reason why
                      They just tell you that you're on your own
                      Fill your head all full of lies

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That would rock as the opener. That right into Lady Evil would be a cool

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have to agree with Rover on this one. Ronnie tried opening with Children of the Sea before the Heaven and Hell thing got underway and I didn't think that was good either. Mob Rules is a great opener, but changing it up for any one of the following works for me
                          Neon Knights
                          Turn Up The Night
                          Nevermore
                          TV Crimes
                          Master of Insanity

                          The slow doomy tunes have their place in our hearts and set list, just don't like it for an opener. You want to get the crowd fired up and on its feet quickly to start the show...sort of like a good jab...then give them a few power shots of solid molten metal...topped off with the knockout blow of another blistering song to end the show.

                          IMHO of course

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have mentioned in several threads that FTT should have been the album opener as well as the show opener. The initial build-up sets an atmosphere like no other song this line-up has ever recorded. Instead of E5150, when the lights go down Scott Warren could begin the show with an extended version of the lead-in to heighten the anticipation. When Tony's chunky riff finally begins the place would go up for grabs. Although it has a slower tempo there is such a groove that you can't help but nod your head and pump your fist in the air. They can then go straight into MR without any between song banter, delivering a one-two punch guaranteed to to get the house rockin'.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mds View Post
                              I have mentioned in several threads that FTT should have been the album opener as well as the show opener. The initial build-up sets an atmosphere like no other song this line-up has ever recorded. Instead of E5150, when the lights go down Scott Warren could begin the show with an extended version of the lead-in to heighten the anticipation. When Tony's chunky riff finally begins the place would go up for grabs. Although it has a slower tempo there is such a groove that you can't help but nod your head and pump your fist in the air. They can then go straight into MR without any between song banter, delivering a one-two punch guaranteed to to get the house rockin'.

                              That would work!!!
                              "My sunshine is wind and rain and thunder."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X