Geezer Using a Pick???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geezer Using a Pick???

Just watched the "Neon Nights" video on VH1classic.com and to my surprise it looked like Geezer was using a pick. I've been following the "Sabbs" almost since the beginning and I don't EVER remember Geez using a pick. Also, who was the drummer in that video? I know it wasn't Bill and it didn't look like Vinny. Bev??? Info???

1) Sometimes, he used a pick.
    2) That's Bill.

All the best,
    PAULIE
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

Bill Ward is in fact the drummer in that video, he just simply had a different look during that time period. He is also the drummer in the Die Young video as well.
      If the magic comes between us
      And we never meet again
      Take a part of me away
      'Cause maybe it's all above love
      ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Comment

Geezer uses a pick on faster numbers sometimes such as Children of the Grave.
        http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

At the end of iron man he uses a pick.
          Being a bass player I fully understand what he's doing.
          There are certain restraints in different styles of playing, both physically and tone.
          Using a pick he will get a sharper tone for an audible tone in fast parts.
          And he might not be able to play beyond a certain speed plucking, therefore picks ease things up a bit.

Comment

I noticed John Paul Jones does the same, he uses a pick in Whole Lotta Love for example and I think Black Dog as well. On the other hand, I've never seen bassists such as Geddy Lee or Steve Harris ever use a pick. I assume it depends on the feel they want in the song. Of note, I see that Geezer uses his fingers when touring with Ozzy on No Rest For The Wicked, and Bob Daisley wrote those basslines and he almost always plays with a pick!

Comment

Wow, in all my years I never knew or saw Geezer using a pick. I'll have to check some videos out, I've seen Geezer live many times and he finger picks exreemly fast, are you positive he uses a pick?

Well, I did check out IRON MAN form 2005 tour on Youtube, and I see th efast part that Geezer bends over to grab something and yes, it must be a pick because he's using a pick on the real fast part....as for Geddy Lee or Steve Harris never using one..have they ever played a song as fast as that part in Iron Man...? I know past H&H tour show at HOB's in Atlantic City, that the jam in Heaven And Hell (the song) was auwsome, Geezer was lieterraly a blur finger picking parts of the jam...
              Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 06-25-2010, 09:10 AM.
              "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
              R. Blackmore

Comment

I'm no expert on bass techniques being a keys player, but it sounds like Geezer uses a pick on Virtual Death off Cross Purposes as well.

I'll have to watch the videos of Sabbath that I have to see what he does - I'm used to his fingerpicking, but I don't recall seeing him with a pick - will be interesting to check out.

Comment

On the California Jam he uses a pick on Children of the Grave. But till you really pick up the bass and try to play it, you respect how good bass players actually are, such as Geezer and Pete Way all incrediable bass players.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                    Wow, in all my years I never knew or saw Geezer using a pick. I'll have to check some videos out, I've seen Geezer live many times and he finger picks exreemly fast, are you positive he uses a pick?

Well, I did check out IRON MAN form 2005 tour on Youtube, and I see th efast part that Geezer bends over to grab something and yes, it must be a pick because he's using a pick on the real fast part....as for Geddy Lee or Steve Harris never using one..have they ever played a song as fast as that part in Iron Man...?

Geezer is by far my favorite Bassist in the world. That said, Steve Harris-The Trooper. DAMN! Just try playing that whole song non- stop. Incredible.
                    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

I have a Geezer pick from the 2007 Reading PA show
                      Thanks Ronnie
                      Heaven and Hell - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiLtInN8EM
                      Die Young - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41NOVVyqS0

Comment

Working...
                      X