18 years since Dehumanizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

favorite....album....ever.....period

i wouldn't have minded the breakup afterwards if anything had come from the Ozzy Sabbath reunion, but seeing as that was bollocks, i can't even imagine how badass an immediate Dio Sabbath follow-up to Dehumanizer would have been. IMO Dio's vocals were at their peak on that album, just listening to the final scream on Computer God until his voice starts to crack used to give me chills \m/

Comment

At first I was disappointed because I was a huge fan of the Tony Martin era, and I thought they were going from strength to strength with Headless Cross and Tyr.

But when I first heard "Time Machine" from the Wayne's World soundtrack I thought "if the whole album is like this it's going to be right up there with Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules."

I wasn't disappointed. Dehumanizer was, and is, excellent, and criminally overlooked.

Plus, I got to see them for the first time on that tour in Chicago. The sound was crap and they had a false start on "Die Young" but overall...it was Sabbath!

I didn't expect it to last, though...and I was right...

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Originally posted by cwilder86 View Post
      This would've been fantastic!! I bet Sabbath would've stayed in the lime light then for sure!
      Even though there would always have been those who would grumble about "no Ozzy, no Sabbath," especially here in the U.S.
      He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Whoo, I'm gettin' old.

Comment

my Fave Sabbath album. don't know why (and i don't analyze it), but whenever i listen to it i get that special feeling afterwards... the songwriting is exquisite. that was for me definition on pure metal with great songs. not grunge (that era was really awful for me, although i admit i can listen to some Seattle stuff now) which was annoying for me. yeah, i was teenager back then

Comment

I still remember the very day I bought that album...its been too long but the music on it will be always the best thing from those days....fucking killer album.

Comment

dehumanizer

Does anyone remember the free 7" that came with Kerrang magazine that included 'After all' as an advance track? I remember getting goose pimples when i played it....hearing Tony and Geezer playing on a Sabs album together again for the first time in 9 years before it launches into a killer riff. I told Ronnie how much i loved the song backstage at birmingham n.e.c. 1992 and i've been thinking about our conversation quite a lot recently, obviously...
              A very under-rated and misunderstood album too...the sleeve notes to the re-issue of 'headless cross' actually describes it as 'lacklustre'...what rubbish.
              I prefer to remember the quote given in kerrang mag at the time...Tony said 'if dehumanizer flops then were gonna open a bed and breakfast'.....
              Hmm, a sabs-themed b&b........you'd stay there though, wouldn't you?
              Last edited by SUPERNAUT9; 08-22-2010, 06:24 PM.
              "..In the land of fairytales & stories..."

Comment

I love this album. When I think Dehumanizer I immediately remember the first time I heard TV Crimes (great video for it as well), Sins Of The Father and Buried Alive.

The whole album is great and refreshing change of pace. Much as I love the TM-era of Sabbath, Headless Cross was always a weak album for me, with When Death Calls being the only standout track. Eternal Idol is really the Gillen-album and TM's best Sabbath performance is essentially mimicking Ray Gillen. Here the songwriting is strengthened by the lyrics of Bob Daisly.

I enjoyed Tyr but Dehumanizer has that extra something which differentiates an excellent album from a great album. It doesn't try to recreate Heaven & Hell and embraces a harder sound. Vinnie's drums are thunderous, Geezers bass punishing and Iommi's riffs are on fire. Finally we have see time changes being brought in (a feature of the Ozzy-era I felt missing at times in the Dio albums) - Sins Of The Father and Computer God are great examples. Dio's vocals are simply excellent, delivering intensity and emotion all the way.

This album gives the Dio-era it's own Black Sabbath in the form of After All (The Dead) and doom-laden epic of Buried Alive and the tragic, Too Late.

My only negative thoughts of the album was that the production felt a little clinical (though I've always thought that Mob Rules album production should have been in line with the demo Heavy Metal version of the title track) and the dire cover art.

(Off topic a moment, as much as I am gutted that this line-up broke up again, I really did enjoy Cross Purposes and Forbidden. It would have been interesting to hear Dio's vox on a track like Virtual Death.
                "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
                - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
                —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I actually found this album to not quite live up to or match the standard set on H&H and Mob Rules...granted it came out 12-13 yrs later, but the magic that I felt from the first 2 was lost on Dehuman. Time Machine was fun being on Wayne's World movie, but I found the song to be pretty darn average, nothing to write home abot. Same with TV Crimes, MTV video, but nothing more or less about it. Comp. God was a heavy opener, though somewhat startiling, until you get use to the neo English accented Dio delivery he used on a lot of this album... maybe it's because it was the first CD, too many songs?, it doesn't have the cohesivness of H&H & MR, and the same issues plagued TDYK, too many songs, not enough melodic light, trying to sound too heavy, like, manufactured heavy, unlike the natural heavy found on Ozzy BS and the first 2 Dio BS records... Nothing particularily historic about this record in terms of the musical world in general, just a foot note to most... and it led to another 17 yrs of the cold war...
                  Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 08-25-2010, 12:03 PM.
                  "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                  R. Blackmore

Comment

Working...
                  X