Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

18 years since Dehumanizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 years since Dehumanizer

Its been 18 years since its been released on Tuesday 6-30-92. Why are albums always released on Tuesdays?

I remember waiting rather anxiously for this album since Jan 1991 when it was announced that RJ Dio had returned to Sabbath.

On 6-29-92 I had gone to the Rainbow Bar and Grill on a Monday night when the evening was concluded at a friend's place, we were enjoying some pizza and drinks listening to KNAC when they played the premiere of the new Black Sabbath, to be released that day. I remember glancing at the clock, it was 345am. They played After All (The Dead)

All of our jaws dropped in amazement. 12 hours later I had it in me hands...

A great album that perhaps was a bit ahead of its time.

fantastic, thanks for reminding this one!

Actually, I did not like it at all when ti came out; the sound was quite muffled, it didn't have the sort of song HH and Mob Rules had... it was my mistake, I should have realised the past is not supposed to be repeated, instead something new must be done.

I only fully understood how good Dehumanizer was when I heard some live shows.

Comment

Can't comment about other countries but here in the UK CDs and DVDs usually get released on a Monday. The music charts are published on a Sunday so maybe they take the view that they'll get a full weeks worth of sales to maximise chart position.

Dehumanizer is a very good but underrated album, probably my 6th/7th favourite Sabbath album. Whenever I listen to it, it reminds of the Wolfenstein computer game which I played a lot of while listening to the CD!
      My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

I too was anxiously awaiting Dehumanizer and picked up a copy the day it was released at the old Tower Records in Dublin, California on my way home from work. I think the "Wayne's World" movie had been released a few weeks before and I remember waiting to hear "Time Machine" in the soundtrack (I think it was only a few seconds of the track.)
        Dehumanzier is an AMAZING album, a real bone crusher through and through. Not a weak track in my book, just so fu*king heavy. And the start, "Computer God," one of my all time favorites, just massive in tone and sound. I saw the tour in Sacrameto and Oakland, with the later turning out to be the last show of that tour. It would be another 15 years before they would get together for the third and last time and when they did the Dehumanizer album was well represented.

Comment

Originally posted by Diommi View Post
          Why are albums always released on Tuesdays?
          Because Billboard magazine is released on Wednesdays in the US. So that gives the new albums a full week on the market before they print the results of their sales in Billboards top 200 albums of the week.

The release of Dehumanizer also marks the begining of me becoming the Sabbath/Dio fan I am today. I knew the stardard Ozzy Sabbath songs and knew a few of the old Dio hits but this is the first Sabbath/Dio album I ever owned. I picked it up sometime in July and listened to it at least once a day for about 6 months. Seriously, I could not stop listening to it even if you paid me to at that time The album still to this day blows me away when I hear it and along with SBS is my favorite Sabbath album.
          Nobody will ever let you know
          When you ask the reason why
          They just tell you that you're on your own
          Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Dehumanizer has its detractors, with plenty of them here on this board. I myself have always really liked Dehumanizer and believe that it has more than stood the test of time. I still listen to it at least once every couple of weeks and it never fails to blow me away. Not my favorite Deio-era Sabbath album, but still a great one nevertheless.

Comment

its a truly great album. While I appreciate Heaven and Hell more, this album is my favorite Dio era Sabbath album. I like just about everything about it.

Even the cover art I find to be awesome, its like a mix of Star Wars, Terminator, and Black Sabbath; seriously what could be cooler than that?
              "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
              http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Originally posted by MH1986 View Post
                its a truly great album. While I appreciate Heaven and Hell more, this album is my favorite Dio era Sabbath album. I like just about everything about it.

Even the cover art I find to be awesome, its like a mix of Star Wars, Terminator, and Black Sabbath; seriously what could be cooler than that?
                I love this album, highest ratings, but I deplore the cover art, could the worst ever in my opinion. I don't want to belittle your opinion in any way though as I know others who love the music also like the art.

Does anybody know if this is a drawing or a painting? Or even who created it?

Comment

Originally posted by The_WRIT View Post
                  I love this album, highest ratings, but I deplore the cover art, could the worst ever in my opinion. I don't want to belittle your opinion in any way though as I know others who love the music also like the art.

Does anybody know if this is a drawing or a painting? Or even who created it?
                  All to their own I guess.

From a few google searches I discovered an artist named Will Rees, whom according to this site did the cover art for Dehumanizer
                  http://ronniejamesdiosite.com/NewsIn...oversOfDio.htm

Says its Oil on canvas btw
                  Last edited by MH1986; 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM.
                  "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

I remember also anxiously awaiting it b/c I felt cheated that I had never got to see Dio-era Sabbath despite having got H&H and MR when they were released as I had just got into Metal in the early 1980s. BUT... I was totally disappointed in the album:
                    1. The artwork was cartoony and didn't have that epic quality of H&H, MR, & LE.
                    2. Dio was growling/shouting and not singing/soaring.
                    3. Much of the album plodded along with only the end of CG, TV Crimes, and Time Machine having any real tempo to carry you away like so much of H&H and MR did.
                    4. The lyrics were dry - although I'm not a huge fan of dungeons and dragons lyrics in that I don't need to hear about dragons, etc., still much of H&H and MR was poetic - read the words to H&H, LITW, WW, O&O, FOTEOTW, etc. Letters from Earth had a great lyric and probably that was my favorite track at the time.
                    5. With the exception of perhaps I and CG, the riffing was not sinister enough (eg., Voodoo).
                    6. No real epics on the album akin to SOTSC, H&H (and also Stargazer). CG and TL came close but again Ronnie wasn't soaring like he used to and there was very little melody.
                    7. The album closed on what I felt was a dud in BA compared to LITW and O&O.

In any event, I was very disappointed. Over time the album grew on me and I enjoy most of it a lot and really think I and CG are awesome. I agree with someone who posted here some time ago that Dehumanizer, the first album, and Born Again are the three heaviest albums Sabbath ever recorded. But in my opinion, H&H, MR, Headless Cross, Tyr, Seventh Star and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are better albums than Dehumanizer. I think Born Again is probably better than Dehumanizer also.

Comment

Fave Sab album. Kick ass.

All the best,
                      PAULIE
                      http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie 88 View Post
                        Fave Sab album. Kick ass.

All the best,
                        PAULIE
                        Mine too. I guess that would explain our avatars. lol I think the only sad thing about Dehumanizer... Is that the reunion didn't last. I really wish it would've and the rest of the 90's and first decade of 2000 Sabbath was with Dio. Sorry Tony Martin and Ozzy. Just imagine how much more awesome Dio sabbath music we could've had. I guess wishing the past was different is pointless 18 years later. I'm sure my statement will probably catch flack from those who prefer the MKI line up and wouldn't trade that reunion for any thing even though it failed to produce a new studio album, and turned Sabbath into a greatest hits juke box.
                        I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

Originally posted by cwilder86 View Post
                          Mine too. I guess that would explain our avatars. lol I think the only sad thing about Dehumanizer... Is that the reunion didn't last. I really wish it would've and the rest of the 90's and first decade of 2000 Sabbath was with Dio. Sorry Tony Martin and Ozzy. Just imagine how much more awesome Dio sabbath music we could've had. I guess wishing the past was different is pointless 18 years later. I'm sure my statement will probably catch flack from those who prefer the MKI line up and wouldn't trade that reunion for any thing even though it failed to produce a new studio album, and turned Sabbath into a greatest hits juke box.
                          I agree...cam u imagine all the music we would of had if Dio had stuck with the Sabs from 1980 on, no break ups? Interesting how the Dio and the guys came together 3 different times, they knew it was a great lineup, but egos got in the way. Too bad.

Comment

I remember reading in a magazine that Dio had re-united with Sabbath. I could not believe what I was reading and thought how cool it was that lightening had struck twice. The album had been recently released and I went out and bought the CD.

Amazing record. A great collection of tunes. Dio with Sabbath is my favorite band, and IMO Tony and Ronnie are just magic when they work together. I made sure to see them on this tour, as I was too young to see them back on the H&H and MR tours. One killer show. Sadly we all the rest of the story, and how we would have to wait another 15 years to hear new music.

Dehumainzer holds a very special place for me. Metal was at a very low point in 1992. I still very much liked what I liked, but the "grunge" scene was all over the airwaves, and a lot of the bands during that time frame had "grunge" influence in their music. Dehumainzer was a pure Black Sabbath record, and renewed for me that Black Sabbath was alive and well and that they were flying the flag for Heavy Metal.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Originally posted by cwilder86 View Post
                            I agree with you my friend. I too wish the reunion would have lasted. I like all line-ups, but have never seen any other Black Sabbath live except for "Heaven & Hell."
                            "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                              I agree...cam u imagine all the music we would of had if Dio had stuck with the Sabs from 1980 on, no break ups?
                              This would've been fantastic!! I bet Sabbath would've stayed in the lime light then for sure!
                              I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

Working...
                              X