Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shadow of the Wind is a COMPLETE ripp-off of........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow of the Wind is a COMPLETE ripp-off of........

Yup, most of you don't know, but they actually COMPLETELY ripped off a song from a Canadian Heavy metal band that they toured with in the early 80's. Shadow of the Wind is a COMPLETE rip off of Shadow of the Cross from a band called Exciter. If you doubt me, go on youtube and listen for yourself. Having been a huge Exciter fan since the 80's, after having seen them open for Black Sabbath, I was SO LET down when Heaven and Hell released the song Shadow of the Wind, yet didn't credit the band who FIRST WROTE the song. The original song's name is called Shadow of the Cross from their brutal album called Kill After Kill from 1992. It's not only similar. It's the SAME SONG and Ronnie is copying the entire vocal part as well. Quite sad that H&H had to resort to this and didn't give credit where credit was due (a la Led Zeppelin). Then again, Ronnie has been known to do this before. Jesus, Mary and The Holy Ghost is a complete rip off of 20th Century Schizoid man from King Crimson. At least with that song, Ronnie changed the name.

Anyways, here the ORIGINAL Shadow of the Wind when it was called Shadow of the Cross. This may be hard to swallow, but it needs to be known (BTW, I'll always be a fan of Dio and Sabbath):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hCP6Louu5Y

There are a few similarities, but it's not even close to suggest that it's a rip off!
    We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

I don't hear it. There's 1 single vocal line which sounds similar and the tone and feel of the 2 songs are similar as well, but I wouldn't call it a rip off.
      http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Don't hear it, dude. Sorry. It's a doomy song like Shadow, but there's a ton of doomy songs out there. It doesn't mean they are all a rip-off of other doomy songs. Toward the end this song actually sounds a lot like the song Black Sabbath. If there is any ripping off going on, Exciter is ripping off early Sabbath.

Comment

the intro riff is vaguely similar, yes, and that's about it. Very vaguely similar.

Comment

Oh come on guys. I'm as much a fan of Black Sabbath as you are. Look at the title of the song. Look at how both singers sing the title of the song, which is just a little too similar to write off as a coincidence. It's like parents refusing to admit that their beloved child has committed a crime. Their similarities are far more than just the fact that they are both doomy songs. How did Exciter rip off Sabbath, when Exciter's version was relased 15 years before Sabbath's. SURE, Exciter was inspired and influenced by the legendary machine called Black Sabbath, but listen to the song. I mean REALLY listen to it. It's the same exact main riff. Ronnie sings the title the same was as Dan does his song and the overall feel and development of the song is the same. Don't be blindly deaf people. Your love of Sabbath is getting in the way of objectivity here. Remember, I AM a fan of Sabbath, but I REFUSE to ignore this.... It is essentially the EXACT SAME SONG, with Dio on vocals. The guitar, bass, drums and vocals are IDENTICAL.

Comment

Nice try to stir something up with a headline and first post like that...but after reading it and then listening to both songs makes me wonder have you ever even heard Shadow Of The Wind...Calling it a ripoff is really really far fetched...

There are similarities yeah, but not even close to call anything a ripoff... I would be really surprised if Tony or Ronnie had ever even heard of that song...just because a band toured (And that is pretty loosely said, since they played at the same venue once or twice!!!)with another 30 years ago for a while doesn't mean they would even know their music well enough to ripp anything off...

And I agree with Celt, the ending does sound a bit like Black Sabbath...
              Last edited by Charger; 07-06-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

If it was a rip off then Exciter could have sued and won, but your way off hear, they are not even remotly similar.
                "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal77 View Post
                  Yup, most of you don't know, but they actually COMPLETELY ripped off a song from a Canadian Heavy metal band that they toured with in the early 80's. Shadow of the Wind is a COMPLETE rip off of Shadow of the Cross from a band called Exciter. If you doubt me, go on youtube and listen for yourself. Having been a huge Exciter fan since the 80's, after having seen them open for Black Sabbath, I was SO LET down when Heaven and Hell released the song Shadow of the Wind, yet didn't credit the band who FIRST WROTE the song. The original song's name is called Shadow of the Cross from their brutal album called Kill After Kill from 1992. It's not only similar. It's the SAME SONG and Ronnie is copying the entire vocal part as well. Quite sad that H&H had to resort to this and didn't give credit where credit was due (a la Led Zeppelin).
                  Have you ever considered, when you're not busy being as obnoxious as possible, that it might NOT be a rip off?

Lemme give you two examples from back when I was playing in local amateur bands:

I auditioned for an amazing local guitarist around 1993. He was looking to start a technical-thrash band. We jammed a few times and tried out some drummers but it didn't work out and I didn't feel my vocals were appropriate for what he was going for. But one of his song was extremely memorable and contained a killer, very distinctive riff that was catchy as hell.

About 18 months later or so, I'm watching music videos and here comes Megadeth's Train of Consequences. The opening/main riff is the EXACT same. I called up the guitarist and he couldn't believe how similar it was. We listened to his old demo and despite this being a very distinctive work, they were identical. But there was no way Mustaine could have heard this stuff. He had given no copy of his demo to anyone, not even the musicians who auditioned for him. The few drummers we had tried were losers and I had moved to a music project that had nothing to do with this.

It was just a coincidence.

In 95 or 96, I was in another metal band and we were working on new songs. I came up with riffs all the time even though I was the vocalist. One day, I came up with some parts to complete a song one of the guitarist and the bassist had been working on. We jammed that song a few times with the whole band and the guys kept on frowning and looking weird. They had heard that part I came up with before. Turns out it was straight from Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album. I think from Moonchild.

The irony is, I kept telling everyone at the time that Maiden was cool but I couldn't understand why they were considered amazing. So you can imagine my bandmates had a well-deserved laugh at my expense.

What happened there? Well, it's most probable that a Maiden song lingered in my subconscious and I eventually made the melody my own. I ripped a part off but it was completely unintentional.

The human memory is faillible and weird, sometimes. Our retention ability can be flawed and distort things and make them into something different. It's not like the Seventh Son album had been released 20 years ago either. It wasn't exactly new but I was pretty embarassed.

Then again, Ronnie has been known to do this before. Jesus, Mary and The Holy Ghost is a complete rip off of 20th Century Schizoid man from King Crimson. At least with that song, Ronnie changed the name.
                  Uh, dude. Jesus, Mary and the Holy Ghost follows a rythmic pattern and mood that is similar to the King Crimson song. That's NOT what I, or anyone sane, would call "a rip off". You might say there is a definite nod to 21st Century Schizoid Man. That's different.

Anyways, here the ORIGINAL Shadow of the Wind when it was called Shadow of the Cross. This may be hard to swallow, but it needs to be known (BTW, I'll always be a fan of Dio and Sabbath):
                  What's hard to swallow is that you're presenting these two songs as if they were identical, accusing Dio and Sabbath of willful plagiarism without any proof. Did it occur to you that whether it's a coincidence or not, they might not have any idea this song exist, or have no conscious recollection of it.

I've listened to the two songs a few times and they're not identical. I do agree that the main riff and chorus line are almost identical but THAT'S IT. Looks probable that they were inspired by it somehow, in some way. But the connection is pretty loose.

Props for finding this out and I love my fellow Canadians Exciter as well. But it's kind of a dickish accusation to throw.
                  Riffs
                  ________

If I had to make a list, I'd write Cozy Powell somewhere on there and then 43,084 drummers later, Vinnie Appice - hipster doofus

Comment

Sorry dude

I hear a chord progression once that is mildly similar. Otherwise, ABBA has as good a chance for a suit here saying they ripped off Fernando!

It just isn't there.
                    Last edited by IommiRules; 07-06-2010, 03:30 PM.
                    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Exciter, Sinner, Rage, Running Wild, Hellion, Jawbreaker, Tyrant, Starbreaker, Killing Machine, Grinder, U.S. & German versions of Steeler...all ripped off their names from a Judas Priest song!
                      "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

you ripped your username off a yogurt... WATCH OUT!!

Comment

Yeah, its completely plausible that the greatest songwriters of the genre ripped off a b list metal band. lol, I think not, and if they did don't you think they could have, um, you know titled the song differently...

The vocal line is completely different, while there are similarities in the guitar line but that's going to happen with god knows how many songs out there these days. But Identical they are not, similar yes, identical nope. Ive come up with guitar riffs before that were similar to guitar riffs off of songs that I'd never heard of before as well, but that's going to happen. Do you seriously expect everyone who writes music to be aware of every single song ever written in order to not write a similar riff? If that was the case no music would ever be written.

You see if you had come here saying hey look these songs are similar you'd have started an interesting conversation, but no you decided to accuse and slander instead. Stop trying for your breaking news bulletin kind of moment, its not there.

The reason the end of the song sounds similar 'Black Sabbath' is because its a simple repeating triplet rhythm as well, but its not a rip off of 'Black Sabbath' because if that was the case just about every Iron Maiden song would fall into that.

But alas after looking at your posts finding things that just arent there is just about your favorite thing to do in life. We just need to ignore him, he knows not what he speaks. lol.
                          Last edited by MH1986; 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM.
                          "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
                          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
                            you ripped your username off a yogurt... WATCH OUT!!

Yogurt? I thought it was the kids clothing line from the 70's & 80's. Oh wait, that was Garanimals. Oops, my bad.
                            The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                            The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                            As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                            We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

I can hear a slight similarly in the chord progression but calling it a 'complete ripoff' is a huge stretch. When it comes to "doom metal" type bands or sounds that play the slower, power chord type songs, there is almost always a similarity to someone else that plays the style. It's just bound to happen. Again, I wouldn't call Shadow any kind of ripoff. The only thing Tony can do is ripoff himself, he's done it all.
                              ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

Working...
                              X