Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

Do you think Dio can sing the Tony Martin Sabbath songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DARKEST LIGHT View Post
    agree for the most part although I believe Dio owns the song "Black Sabbath".
    Only Ozzy can sing that song, Gillan would be second in line.

Originally posted by SweetSymptom View Post
    Ozzy and Gillan give him a run for his money, IMO. Dio's delivery of N.I.B. was quite powerful, again IMO.
    I do enjoy Ronnie's rendition of N.I.B.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by EDTRADER View Post
      Only Tony Martin got to do Ozzy, Dio, Hughes, Himself all in the same set. Leave it that way. Let him be the only Sabbath singer to have done that.
      I saw them on the 1994 Cross Purposes tour. He sounded great on everything he sang, even though he had a cold that night.

However, there were no Hughes or Gillan songs that night - just himself, Ozzy and Dio, though they didn't even do "Heaven And Hell."

Even the songs he sang on were limited...just stuff from Cross Purposes and the title track from Headless Cross, and even that was shortened, coming out of Bobby Rondinelli's drum solo. Nothing from The Eternal Idol or Tyr. That bummed me.
      He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
        I saw them on the 1994 Cross Purposes tour. He sounded great on everything he sang, even though he had a cold that night.

However, there were no Hughes or Gillan songs that night - just himself, Ozzy and Dio, though they didn't even do "Heaven And Hell."

Even the songs he sang on were limited...just stuff from Cross Purposes and the title track from Headless Cross, and even that was shortened, coming out of Bobby Rondinelli's drum solo. Nothing from The Eternal Idol or Tyr. That bummed me.
        That's when the era of "Disposable Sabbath" began. There was just no way to measure the success of a song without it having charted anywhere.

You'd actually have to ask or listen to fans, and I think that was too tall an order back then...probably trying to avoid endless "Where's Ozzy?" questions or when is the reunion. Must get tiring, so you start ducking out.

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
          That's when the era of "Disposable Sabbath" began. There was just no way to measure the success of a song without it having charted anywhere.

You'd actually have to ask or listen to fans, and I think that was too tall an order back then...probably trying to avoid endless "Where's Ozzy?" questions or when is the reunion. Must get tiring, so you start ducking out.
          I saw them in Kalamazoo. I live in Marysville.

I know they made at least one convert that night. The guy sitting next to my friend and I said, "I don't know who the hell this singer is, but he's damned good!"

Living in the USA, where Sabbath=Ozzy's backing band, all they would have to do is show up, play "Paranoid," "War Pigs" and "Iron Man" and that would be enough for most audiences.
          He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
            I saw them in Kalamazoo. I live in Marysville.

I know they made at least one convert that night. The guy sitting next to my friend and I said, "I don't know who the hell this singer is, but he's damned good!"

Living in the USA, where Sabbath=Ozzy's backing band, all they would have to do is show up, play "Paranoid," "War Pigs" and "Iron Man" and that would be enough for most audiences.
            If Tony ever comes around with Tony Martin and does some shows, I'm going to see them.
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Of course he could have and done them better.
              www.reverbnation.com/sungod4

www.facebook/curseofdisobedience

www.reverbnation.com/clawhammer1 and www.reverbnation.com/blackmountainthunder

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteSabbath View Post
                Of course he could have and done them better.
                Too bad Ronnie's ego didn't allow him to perform Martin songs when he returned to Sabbath, I'm sure his take on them would've been interesting and sound better than when he performed the Ozzy songs.

Comment

No hyperbole whatsoever when I say, "Hell yes, Dio could've sung the Martin songs better than Martin himself!" No disrespect intended to the Martin fans here! They are cut from a similar cloth, stylistically speaking but I think what sets them apart was Dio's way of engaging the listener and really selling the song. Tony was no doubt a great singer but I just feel that Dio was on an entirely different level.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post

Too bad Ronnie's ego didn't allow him to perform Martin songs when he returned to Sabbath, I'm sure his take on them would've been interesting and sound better than when he performed the Ozzy songs.
                    Did Ozzy perform them? Or any song he didn't sing on record? Ego indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by DARKEST LIGHT View Post

Did Ozzy perform them? Or any song he didn't sing on record? Ego indeed.
                      Yeah egos suck, would’ve loved to hear Ozzy sing Children of the Sea.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                        Yeah egos suck, would’ve loved to hear Ozzy sing Children of the Sea.
                        Ozzy would have struggled mightily with that tune, tbh (as with most Dio stuff, which is from a singing standpoint on a whole another level techincally, although Ozzy had a respectable range back then). Dio's timbre masks it, but the song has spme ridonkilously high notes for a male singer sung in the chest register. Even if they downtuned to C#, it wouldn't fit Ozzy due to other stylistic and technical aspects such as vibrato, legato, power and other areas.

P.S: Great to contribute to these boards, been a while! But this evening train commute from a business travel is a great opportunity if any
                        "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                        "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                        "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Working...
                        X