Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

Sign Of The Southern Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cross I bear

I had the chance to meet Ronnie in 2009 and guess what my first question was:
    Was is TSOTSC about ?
    I don't remember everyting (sadly) but he summed it up for me: "It's about the universe that is so vast, and we humans are so tiny in comparison."
    Kinda threw my interpretaion about a mysterios tribe underground, far away.

Then we talked about other lyrics of his that have some kind of "conspiratic" content.

Then I commented that I really liked that he once said, that he makes these song "our songs", because, yes they have a specific meaning for him, but they can have another meaning for the listener and that makes it real special. He didn't seem to remember, though...

I remember reading in the "Dio:light in the black" Book his explanation to the Holy Diver Lyrics, which I tought is very clever and I now understood completely. Of course my interpretation was way off.

It depends what person you are, if you rather keep your interpertation, or, like me, like to know the "true story".

Leaves me to say that I am still very sad that RJd has passed on.

I made a special memorial-sentence on my thanks list on the new Emerald Record "Re-Forged" that comes out november 20th. I'm the bass-player for that band and the others "allowed" me to wear a Dio Shirt in the booklet and I had the Tribute shirt on the band-picture.

In other news, I was invited to do a Special Dio-Tribute show on the metalshow of Radio Kanal K "Taktlos Metal" as "expert". We played a few rare gems and some hits and I told some cool anecdotes about Dio.

I always get asked the Dio Question in Radio Shows I did with my other band DISTANT PAST, so I guess that makes me Switzerland's Number 1 Dio Fan and that makes me proud as hell.

Adriano (had the need to tell)
    Last edited by evileye; 11-09-2010, 09:16 AM.
    www.distant-past.ch
    www.emerald.ch

Comment

Really? I could have sworn I remembered something at the time the album was new where it had something to do with the KKK and burning crosses?
      Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
      View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

2009 Heaven & Hell on rockline radio interview Dio said it's about a group of stars only visable in Australia.
        Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
          Really? I could have sworn I remembered something at the time the album was new where it had something to do with the KKK and burning crosses?
          That seems more likely to be "The Mob Rules" than this song.

This song seems to be about the journey of life, the choices we face, and maintaining perspective. Or just a bunch of pretty, poetic words strung together that sound cool.

Comment

Originally posted by fondula View Post
            This song seems to be about the journey of life, the choices we face, and maintaining perspective. Or just a bunch of pretty, poetic words strung together that sound cool.
            I remember the KKK thing from an interview at the time. But again, that's 29 years ago at this point. I do remember it being about Southern Cross, though. That part I'm sure about.
            Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
            View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
              I remember the KKK thing from an interview at the time. But again, that's 29 years ago at this point. I do remember it being about Southern Cross, though. That part I'm sure about.
              It occurs to me that the Rebel flag could be referred to as a Southern Cross, thus imparting a double-entendre of sorts.

Comment

I didn't know what is "Sign of the southern cross" until now. This thought about the meaning of this, didn't left my consciousness all day long! Thanks guys And this is my favourite song of Black Sabbath though
                RIP Ronnie James Dio! We will always remmember you as very good person, as the voice of the Universe! As the one who passed the final frontier in the music with his voice! A kind person with voice that even God haven't heard! You always will live in our soul, cause dreamers never die!

Comment

It was the first Dio era song I heard in its entirety, and still one of my favourites.

No idea what it's about, other than the the constellation. It's on our (New Zealand) flag, after all.

Comment

I read someone sum it up this way:
                    "I think it's about giving up your boring and secure everyday life and riding out in search of adventure. "

I have to agree.

Eight miles high, about to fall
                    And no one there to catch you
                    The time it is coming when all life will end,
                    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
                    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
                    The future has ended before it's begun.

Comment

Originally posted by fondula View Post
                      It occurs to me that the Rebel flag could be referred to as a Southern Cross, thus imparting a double-entendre of sorts.
                      The Confederate flag is referred to as the "stars and bars". The song has nothing to do with the KKK or Confederates.

With respect to the notion of an inverted cross, I remember when this song was played during the Mob Rules Tour, a giant, upright cross of lights was illuminated. Upright, as in the Christian cross.

I'm going with the constellation theory on this one.
                      "I've seen the future and I've left it behind"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightskald View Post
                        I think it's Ronnie being very clever and using some of the pseudo-Satanic imagery associated with Sabbath in his usually romantic lyrics as well as making a use of the stars in his lyrics - which is very Dio, isn't it?

The Southern Cross is another euphemism for an inverted cross - as it's points south towards Hell - so the Sign of the Southern Cross could be attributed to that, to tie in with the dark images that some people see in Black Sabbath's name and history.

As for the other images, it's just classic Ronnie James Dio, and although I'm not a huge fan of Mob Rules in itself - Sign of the Southern Cross is one of the highlights.

Indeed, one of my favourite moments at the Heaven and Hell gig in Newcastle I attended, was when he dedicated the song to the Australian and New Zealander fans as we live under "THE SIGN OF THE SOUTHERN CROSS".
                        He did that in Sydney too. It's one of my favourite moments too. Glad I have the recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce Frehley View Post
                          The Confederate flag is referred to as the "stars and bars". The song has nothing to do with the KKK or Confederates.

With respect to the notion of an inverted cross, I remember when this song was played during the Mob Rules Tour, a giant, upright cross of lights was illuminated. Upright, as in the Christian cross.

I'm going with the constellation theory on this one.
                          Well the constellation meaning is definitely there, as the song talks about sailing away to the sign (using it as a navigational tool). But I think what we're collectively wondering about is the subtext, the deeper meaning.... what the constellation is a metaphor of.

Just reading the lyrics again:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/discog/...esoutherncross

It seems to tell a story of using the Black Bible for some reason (to resurrect people?) but unleashing evil upon yourself/the world by doing so, and sending you to Hell when you die.
                          Or possibly using the messages in the regular Bible to serve selfish/evil purposes, resulting also in condemning yourself to Hell.... this interpretation could be a commentary on the KKK, possibly.

Comment

It says in the song: "Sail away to the sign!" Dio published in 1987 a song called "All The Fools Sailed Away". So, I guess the message of the song is that you should not sail away to the sign.

Comment

Working...
                            X