Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whoever seen Dio with Sabbath at least a few times, whats their fav. show and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoever seen Dio with Sabbath at least a few times, whats their fav. show and why?

I'm 15 and I wish I was born in the 70's or got into Sabbath in 2007 so I can go to Regina and see them. I wanna know what was it like to see Dio live. Was it good, awful, ok or not to bad but could be better. Was the song list good? So fans, tell me how was the concert that u liked the most.

DIO FAN FOR LIFE! ON AND ON, HEAVEN & HELL

I saw Dio with Sabbath twice. Once in 92, at the Fox Theater in Detroit and in 07, at the Cobo Hall in Detroit. Dio sounded great at both shows. The band sounded better with Dio and Vinnie than with Ozzy and Bill. They sounded tighter. Iommi seemed to improvise more on guitar. He jammed a bit more which was good. When i went to go see them back in 92 , i sat on the side where Iommi was playing. He played so loud , my ears rang for months. I think the 07 show was better because they played for 2 hours. The sound was excellent that night. When i saw them in 07 , that was the best i had ever heard them sound live. They only played for 95 minutes at the 92 show but i will never forget it.
    Last edited by scorpio 2000; 03-01-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Saw them twice in concert. Once in person at a signing event for The Devil You Know. Was really impressed at how humble they all were.

My favorite was in '09 at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles. Was fucking awesome. Took the picture below at the show myself.

The first time I saw them was in '08 on the Metal Masters tour with Testament, Motorhead, and Judas Priest. Unbelievable as this sounds, they blew Judas Priest off the stage. And Judas Priest put on a hell of a show.
      "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
      http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Originally posted by MH1986 View Post
        Saw them twice in concert. Once in person at a signing event for The Devil You Know. Was really impressed at how humble they all were.

My favorite was in '09 at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles. Was fucking awesome. Took the picture below at the show myself.

The first time I saw them was in '08 on the Metal Masters tour with Testament, Motorhead, and Judas Priest. Unbelievable as this sounds, they blew Judas Priest off the stage. And Judas Priest put on a hell of a show.
        The second and last time I saw them was at that Metal Masters show in San Bernadino. I am a die hard Priest fan but YES Sabbath did indeed blow them away that night! It was amazing looking up at the clouds moving over the full moon as Sabbath did an amazing version of Southern Cross. Great way to spend my 35th birthday!
        Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

I went to see them in 2007 and 2009. Truly remarkable performance.

Comment

Originally posted by MH1986 View Post

Thats a very nice picture!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
              I'm 15 and I wish I was born in the 70's or got into Sabbath in 2007 so I can go to Regina and see them. I wanna know what was it like to see Dio live. Was it good, awful, ok or not to bad but could be better. Was the song list good? So fans, tell me how was the concert that u liked the most.

DIO FAN FOR LIFE! ON AND ON, HEAVEN & HELL

1980 Sophia Gardens in Cardiff the 1st and 2nd times, the council had double sold the tickets and there were as many fans outside as there were in. I was 1 of the lucky few that got to see Sabbath play both sets. Considering he`d just sung a full set, Dios` voice was excellent for the 2nd show. I would have seen them on the Mob Rules tour, but Sophia Gardens roof collapsed just days before the show. 3rd time was in 92 at the N.E.C. in Birmingham, again faultless. The final time was 2008 in Cardiff with Heaven and Hell. There appeared to be some sound problems at the start of the set, but I`m sure it was technichal rather than voice trouble as it was ironed out after a couple of songs. I`ve seen Sabbath with every singer except Glen Hughes and Rob Halford, and Dio wears the crown.

Comment

Mob Rules Tour, Madison Square Garden NYC

Doc Holiday opened, which after the supposed Van Halen opening debacle, wasn't surprised. and much better than co headlining tour with Blue Oyster Cult the previous year.

MSG is a magical place when you have a band playing on all cylinders, and Black Sabbath was on top of their game this night. I was 16 and was just blown away by the entire event. Their set mirrors what is availabe on the Live Evil album. Of course even though they played the same songs, there were always little things that made each one different than the night before. One of the things that I never forgot from that night was during the Heaven and Hell jam section, Ronnie stepped up and belted out a "cause I'm the man on the silver mountain" very dramatic and slow, and the crowd went wild on that one. Children of the Grave encore to end the show, all the fireworks, and the number of police at the show...almost seemed like a small army to me at the time. Good time though, very good time was had.

Also went to Beacon 92, RCMH 2007, Jones Beach 2008, Wamu Theater 2009. Great memories for all of them.

Comment

I saw the Dio era Sabbath several times but my favorite was when I saw them at the Nokia Theater on the Dio years tour - just thought hearing Falling off the Edge of the world was fantastic that night - I aso loved that they played just the Dio era songs in 2007 & 2008
                  At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

The first concert I ever say was Dio version of Sabbath at Louisville Gardens 12-9-81, I still have the tee-shirt and button given by the local raido station from the show. Alvin Lee with Mike Taylor on guitar opened the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Never Satisfied View Post
                      The second and last time I saw them was at that Metal Masters show in San Bernadino. I am a die hard Priest fan but YES Sabbath did indeed blow them away that night! It was amazing looking up at the clouds moving over the full moon as Sabbath did an amazing version of Southern Cross. Great way to spend my 35th birthday!
                      That was a great concert, I was freaking exhausted afterwards. Sign of The Southern Cross was truly something special that night, felt like pure magic.

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

Originally posted by scorpio 2000 View Post
                      Thats a very nice picture!!!
                      Thanks man, I got pretty damn lucky with the lights flashing on at exactly the right moment with that one.
                      "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Saw him many, many times, I guess the most special to me was the last concert he ever gave. I look back on that night sometimes and wonder why I was so lucky, my all-access pass had me inside the stage barrier, where only photogs and security are. After the third song, the camera guys have to leave, so I got to watch most of his last performance closer to him then anyone in the building. And then after the show I was able to get an exclusive chat with him, which turned out to be his last after-concert interview ever. I remember his assistant was on the fence about letting us talk to him, and we had to wait until he was finished signing autographs for VIP fans and time spent with others who were mingling around backstage. He was hugging some people, picked up a baby and kissed it, chatted with Rudy Sarzo, who stopped by after a gig with Blue Oyster Cult a few blocks away. We just watched and waited. I just thought it was the typical rockstar/reporter thing, if you want a favor you have to play the game and hope you will end up being accommodated. After his diagnosis I realized that his health was a real concern at the time and probably played a part in how he was being looked after at the end of the tour.

After everybody left, it was just me, my cameraman, Ronnie, and his tour manager. I was ready just to do a stand-up type of interview, but Ronnie said, "Let's go over here and sit down, I'll just move Geezer's beer out of the way." (At some point during the meet and greet, Geezer had ducked out, leaving his nearly full cup of beer still on the table). It was kind of funny, because he said it like a parent lamenting having to pick up after his son. His manager told us to keep it short, so I rattled off a few questions and when I was closing it out on camera I went to shake Ronnie's hand and he extended the devil horns back, which was awkward but very cool, and then he just hugged me.

I guess it would have been the most special Dio performance for me regardless, but the fact that it was his very last one and the extent to which I got to experience it makes that whole evening one of the most incredible events of my life.
                        Damian
                        Super Moderator
                        Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

I saw him twice with Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell.

1992 - Chicago, with Danzig supporting. Good show, although there were sound problems (I couldn't hear a thing RJD said between songs) and they had a false start of "Die Young."

2009 - Detroit, Coheed and Cambria supporting (did a blinder version of Iron Maiden's "The Trooper"). Excellent throughout. Outdoor gig, good weather and the band at the top of their form. I remember telling my wife that it looked like Dio had lost weight and she said "where FROM, his toes?" Could be the cancer was starting its work already. It sure didn't affect his voice or stage presence though.
                          He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

heaven n hell 2007. the first and only time i got to see Dio, Butler,Iommi and Appice. a truly magical night, i stood and sang along to every song , it was like ronnie was singing just to me, that's how magical he was performing. i'm sure everyone there felt the same way.

Comment

Feb. 82- Hollywood Sportatorium, I worked security there, and was hugely excited when the show was announced for the venue. Ended up being in the pit right in front of Geezer, and ended up with a baby blue bass pick, which had "Geezer Butler" written on it in small black letters. My most vivid memory of the night was the 10-12 man brawl that broke out right in front of the stage as they just started playing the "Mob Rules" Dio and Iommi are standing there together about 8 feet away from the melee, just cranking it out, and never stopped playing. At the age of 17, it was about the most bad azz thing I'd ever seen.

Was also at the RCMH show as well, fretted that the band wouldn't be as good as before. Was unamazed by the start of the show, but the band soon hit its stride, and while the new tunes didn't do much for me, I had never heard "I" or "Computer God" off Dehumanizer before. I was flat out floored with Iommi's solo during "CG" very Judas Priest like, I remember thinking at the time. Another cool moment was when they launched into the part in H&H where the tune picks up steam, crowd got very into, and the mezzanine where I was at felt like it was shaking, another very cool moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X