Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Read on Making of Heaven and Hell

http://books.google.com/books?id=bOS...20mess&f=false

Was doing some browsing on Heaven and Hell while listening to the album for the 43509348503850395th time. I found this excellent read, interview style, which includes input from all 4 (including Ward).

Truly a remarkable album.

I also can't stress enough but if you have not heard the recordings of the August 1980 Hartford show please do! It is amazing to hear such high quality recording and not to mention one of Ward's last performances with the lineup to include an epic drum solo during Sweat Leaf!

Here is Children of the Sea from that show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiEN54OUmHk

That was an interesting article. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Would have bene interesting if Martin Birch had produced TDYK been involved with the project... I bet we would have got a much better album... they needed someone to say "keep this, get rid of that, needs more work..." ... at least we got a couple great tours out of the band... no denying, those shows from 2007 on we're killer...
      "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
      R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
        Would have bene interesting if Martin Birch had produced TDYK been involved with the project... I bet we would have got a much better album... they needed someone to say "keep this, get rid of that, needs more work..." ... at least we got a couple great tours out of the band... no denying, those shows from 2007 on we're killer...
        First off very good to have you back ..... it amazes me that your obsessed with this same reoccurring theme of some how believing that the sabbath you love is even remotely better then the sabbath others love .... In no way are the first 5 better then Dehumanizer , 70 - 78 is no better then 83 - 95 , 13 is in no way better then TDYK , more time recording may have ruined what makes Tdyk one of the very best albums in Sabbath's catalog ..... it's like not loving born again or some how believing 7th star is a watered down sabbath , when it's just as breath taking as your introduction into the Sab .... Tony Martin a poor man's Dio , please!

As for touring , we'll you got that right , THE DIO YEARS and TDYK tours are in the top 4 tours that Sabbath has EVER been involved in!!

God bless my brother

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
          First off very good to have you back ..... it amazes me that your obsessed with this same reoccurring theme of some how believing that the sabbath you love is even remotely better then the sabbath others love .... In no way are the first 5 better then Dehumanizer , 70 - 78 is no better then 83 - 95 , 13 is in no way better then TDYK , more time recording may have ruined what makes Tdyk one of the very best albums in Sabbath's catalog ..... it's like not loving born again or some how believing 7th star is a watered down sabbath , when it's just as breath taking as your introduction into the Sab .... Tony Martin a poor man's Dio , please!

As for touring , we'll you got that right , THE DIO YEARS and TDYK tours are in the top 4 tours that Sabbath has EVER been involved in!!

God bless my brother
          Thx BTE... I was off line for a while... my standards are rather high for the Sabs... I like to have the hair on the back of my neck stand up... too many things after Sabotage and even TE that were not the adreniline rushers I was accustoned to... but if those TM era records give you a lift, or you'd just as soon spin Dehuman or TDYK over H&H or the Mob... more of God's power to ya brother...
          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

Thx BTE... I was off line for a while... my standards are rather high for the Sabs... I like to have the hair on the back of my neck stand up... too many things after Sabotage and even TE that were not the adreniline rushers I was accustoned to... but if those TM era records give you a lift, or you'd just as soon spin Dehuman or TDYK over H&H or the Mob... more of God's power to ya brother...
            No problem , I'm just glad your good .... right before you took some time away , you were very sentimental with a lot of your post about life in general , so wasn't sure if anything had happen , glad to see you here again!!

Standards are only about a "moment" and a "time" , that's what is so incredible about Sabbath , every moment and time is of the highest standard in quality .... nothing in music has achieved such a feet to this degree before or since , and for so long!

I hear ya , the first 6 are brilliant , no doubt there at all .... but do yourself a favor , if only for a "song" and / or a moment ... listen intently to YOU WONT CHANGE ME and A HARD ROAD ... LONELY IS THE WORD and SOTSC .... DISTURBING THE PRIEST and DANGER ZONE ... ETERNAL IDOL and NIGHT WING .... THE SABBATH STONES and VIRTUAL DEATH ... KISS OF DEATH and IM GONE ... COMPUTER GOD , AFTER ALL , SINS OF THE FATHER , TOO LATE and BURIED ALIVE .... PSYCHO MAN and MEAT ... DONT YOU TELL ME and I GO INSANE .... SHADOW OF THE WIND and BREAKING INTO HEAVEN ... OUT OF MY MIND and DAMAGE SOUL ........

...... and trust me when I say , every friggin hair on your body will stand up!!!!! ,,,,, and that's just the beginning , EVERY other track found through out these gems are just as incredible!!!

Stay well brother!!

Comment

LOL..! Yes, your right about most of those songs you hilighted above, they have and do make the hair on my neck stand up... no doubt one thing is for sure, a Sabbath record wil always produce memorable moments, as long as Tony Iommi is on that SG... And thx for your concern again, I had access to view from where i was at, but could not join in the conversations.... but I'm well and in good spirits... thx bro..
              R. Blackmore

Comment

You are absolutely correct because i have high expectaions for the sabs as well!

Comment

A great, informative read - it's great to have the perspectives of all 4 Members as well as Craig Gruber's recollections. Thanks for the link.

Ted

Comment

It was great to read facts about the recordings from the people who were there and not have it ruined by some snotty know it all hack writer interjecting his opinions about the songs. Probably some of the best Sabbath related stuff I have ever read. Thanks for posting.
                    Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Heaven & Hell is Epic

I like how you can hear Geezer's bass riffs loud in the mix.

I wish Martin Birch produced The Devil You Know or at least mixed and Mastered it.

Comment

Great read!

Comment

Lonely Is The World is one of the best songs on Heaven and Hell.

Tony's epic guitar solos are some of his best ever and

Bill Ward's drumming is legendary all the way till the very very end of the song!

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

God bless my brother
                            Good post! Too many Ozzy dickriders on this site. The Ozzy and Dio years are equally great. TDYK is a fantastic album. Everywhere outside of this site it gets raves from listeners. BUT I have to disagree that the other eras are as great as Ozzy/Dio. Born Again is a production mess and the Martin albums are too sterile. Tony's voice was just too clean for the band.

Comment

Very good read!

Comment

Working...
                              X