Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme lack of Dio era discussion.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Extreme lack of Dio era discussion.

    I was wondering why there is no Dio era discusssion here.
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

  • #2
    I was wondering the same thing....

    Comment


    • #3
      I struggle to form a thought. There's a definite finality that pervades any thoughts directed towards this era.

      Thoughts are vague and disjointed, but here goes:

      It didn't last long enough. Lots of start-stops. There's a lack of continuity and trajectory. Heaven and Hell had a regal sort of sophistication to it, it elevated Black Sabbath and brought us to a space and time in our minds much in the way Led Zeppelin can, or the way Rainbow did. If Rainbow was the Ren Fest, Heaven and Hell was the castle of the King. The band was tight as a drum, the tone was heavy but kind of clean.

      The only consecutive follow-up, The Mob Rules, took us out of the castle and into the Dungeon. It was bloodier, but somehow a little less epic at the same time.

      But, alas, the plug was pulled and we wait for all sorts of changes in the Metal climate until we land on Dehumanizer. We're not in the Middle ages anymore, we're in the Matrix and the tone has gone very heavy, angry, dark and I think there's a feeling that we didn't quite get enough of what Middle Ages Black Sabbath had to offer.

      Then, again, plug pulled and Dehumanizer gets brushed aside. Great songs, but a hard listen, lacks the maturity they had 10 years earlier.

      Another long hiatus. During this time, Dio proceeds to underwhelm as a solo artist. Tempo and riffage gets tossed aside, replaced by generic metal beds for Dio to sing over as he attempted to keep a foothold in the changing scene. We are treated to industrial Dio which kind of bombs, and then back again to Dungeons and Dragons...seems bittersweet and maybe a bit disingenuous.

      But, finally, at last, a Masterpiece: The Devil You Know. We find ourselves in a place we've never been with this lineup. It's political, it's occult, and ITS MATURE at the same time. Nary a Dragon to be found, but with the exception of a couple of mis-steps, every song a gem. Dio's voice has aged a bit but not to vinegar, but a fine wine. A little dryer, the vibrato a little looser, the high notes not held as long but how fitting when the First song we heard is "At last, alone, his fire's dying...burn another day...."

      The Band is heavy as hell and fresh too. The riffage is top-notch. Iommi's tone sounds like a guitar made by stratovarius. (Interestingly, this album is a fine companion to Dio's last solo album "Master of the Moon" where similar themes are explored. Now that I mention it, "13" goes much in the same direction.

      But again, the rug is pulled out from under us, and there is no more.

      Dio's work with Sabbath was awesome but just never finds the momentum to sink in the way Ozzy's does. We grew with Ozzy, we watched the band develop one step at a time. Dio came and went like your older teenaged sister who ran away a couple of times, moved in with her friends, came back, went to college, moved home again, and like Jenny from Forrest Gump always had a different look and feel going on so you never really quite knew who the hell she was.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think Mob Rules is better than Heaven and Hell.


        You(William the Bloody) said that it was out of the castle and into the dungeon.

        I agree, but I like the darker sound of Mob Rules.
        You tried to suppress me
        But nothing holds me down
        Just when you think you're happy
        I come around

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
          But, alas, the plug was pulled and we wait for all sorts of changes in the Metal climate until we land on Dehumanizer. We're not in the Middle ages anymore, we're in the Matrix and the tone has gone very heavy, angry, dark and I think there's a feeling that we didn't quite get enough of what Middle Ages Black Sabbath had to offer.

          Then, again, plug pulled and Dehumanizer gets brushed aside. Great songs, but a hard listen, lacks the maturity they had 10 years earlier.
          Good points William.
          Dehumanizer gets some pretty high praise from some forum members,
          but I can't see it. Never thought it was as good as H&H or Mob.
          Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Isn't there a thread similar to this one already?
            "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
            "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
            ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Iron Wizard View Post
              I was wondering why there is no Dio era discusssion here.
              The fact that there is no future with Dio-Sabbath takes away a lot of potential for discussion.

              Also Dio fans don't necessarily visit Sabbath boards. They have their own places, usually with a Sabbath section. And those places went a lot quieter, too, in the last 5 years.

              Comment


              • #8
                Personally, I don't feel that way at all. Just do a search and perhaps you may find something that you missed. You'll be surprised at the amount of past threads there are regarding the Dio era.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As we approach the 5-year anniversary of Ronnie's passing, I'm sure there will be an increase in dialogue here, especially since I believe Wendy has some surprises for the fans coming up.
                  Damian
                  Super Moderator
                  Black-Sabbath.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There really isn't a lot to discuss that hasn't already been discussed. I agree with Damien that as May approaches there will be more activity.
                    "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
                      I struggle to form a thought. There's a definite finality that pervades any thoughts directed towards this era.

                      Thoughts are vague and disjointed, but here goes:

                      It didn't last long enough. Lots of start-stops. There's a lack of continuity and trajectory. Heaven and Hell had a regal sort of sophistication to it, it elevated Black Sabbath and brought us to a space and time in our minds much in the way Led Zeppelin can, or the way Rainbow did. If Rainbow was the Ren Fest, Heaven and Hell was the castle of the King. The band was tight as a drum, the tone was heavy but kind of clean.

                      The only consecutive follow-up, The Mob Rules, took us out of the castle and into the Dungeon. It was bloodier, but somehow a little less epic at the same time.

                      But, alas, the plug was pulled and we wait for all sorts of changes in the Metal climate until we land on Dehumanizer. We're not in the Middle ages anymore, we're in the Matrix and the tone has gone very heavy, angry, dark and I think there's a feeling that we didn't quite get enough of what Middle Ages Black Sabbath had to offer.

                      Then, again, plug pulled and Dehumanizer gets brushed aside. Great songs, but a hard listen, lacks the maturity they had 10 years earlier.

                      Another long hiatus. During this time, Dio proceeds to underwhelm as a solo artist. Tempo and riffage gets tossed aside, replaced by generic metal beds for Dio to sing over as he attempted to keep a foothold in the changing scene. We are treated to industrial Dio which kind of bombs, and then back again to Dungeons and Dragons...seems bittersweet and maybe a bit disingenuous.

                      But, finally, at last, a Masterpiece: The Devil You Know. We find ourselves in a place we've never been with this lineup. It's political, it's occult, and ITS MATURE at the same time. Nary a Dragon to be found, but with the exception of a couple of mis-steps, every song a gem. Dio's voice has aged a bit but not to vinegar, but a fine wine. A little dryer, the vibrato a little looser, the high notes not held as long but how fitting when the First song we heard is "At last, alone, his fire's dying...burn another day...."

                      The Band is heavy as hell and fresh too. The riffage is top-notch. Iommi's tone sounds like a guitar made by stratovarius. (Interestingly, this album is a fine companion to Dio's last solo album "Master of the Moon" where similar themes are explored. Now that I mention it, "13" goes much in the same direction.

                      But again, the rug is pulled out from under us, and there is no more.

                      Dio's work with Sabbath was awesome but just never finds the momentum to sink in the way Ozzy's does. We grew with Ozzy, we watched the band develop one step at a time. Dio came and went like your older teenaged sister who ran away a couple of times, moved in with her friends, came back, went to college, moved home again, and like Jenny from Forrest Gump always had a different look and feel going on so you never really quite knew who the hell she was.

                      Thoughtful post.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I wish RJD would have sang on all the Tony/Geezer albums that Ozzy didn't sing on and Tony's solo albums too!!!

                        RJD would have sounded really good singing those Tony Martin sung songs!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by thewizard View Post
                          I wish RJD would have sang on all the Tony/Geezer albums that Ozzy didn't sing on and Tony's solo albums too!!!

                          RJD would have sounded really good singing those Tony Martin sung songs!!!!
                          In a perfect world...

                          Though the only Tony/Geezer album Tony Martin sung on was Cross Purposes, so other albums where Iommi was the sole original member would be included to get Dio to replace Tony Martin in our hypothetical situation here.
                          Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Icy Sun View Post
                            In a perfect world...

                            Though the only Tony/Geezer album Tony Martin sung on was Cross Purposes, so other albums where Iommi was the sole original member would be included to get Dio to replace Tony Martin in our hypothetical situation here.
                            In a perfect world . . . Ozzy never leaves.
                            Nobody I know is gonna take my rock & roll away from me.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Typhon View Post
                              In a perfect world . . . Ozzy never leaves.
                              I disagree.... well maybe except if neither Dio nor Blackmore leave Rainbow.
                              Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X