"Children of the Sea"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Children of the Sea"

When I first heard this, age 14 or so, 1986, I loved it and ranked it very highly with the other solid songs from HH. Loved it Live too, from LE. Heavy rotation.

I'm not sure when it happened, exactly, but COTS fell out of rotation and never came back.

That is, until the last month or so. Now at age 45, COTS is making a big impact again. Not sure what has changed. Can't really think of any other BS song that has gone down like this for me.

Thought I'd share.

That's fair enough, our tastes change all the time.

I really liked Gillan's "Future Shock" when it first came out. I didin't listen to it for a while (no turntable!), and when I finally got round to getting it on CD... well... I was really dissapointed, not bad but nowhere near as great as I remembered. Haven't listened to it in a few years, but my taste could have changed again .
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
      When I first heard this, age 14 or so, 1986, I loved it and ranked it very highly with the other solid songs from HH. Loved it Live too, from LE. Heavy rotation.

I'm not sure when it happened, exactly, but COTS fell out of rotation and never came back.

That is, until the last month or so. Now at age 45, COTS is making a big impact again. Not sure what has changed. Can't really think of any other BS song that has gone down like this for me.

Thought I'd share.
      Sounds like my experience exactly, except I haven't gone back to listening to it again, yet. I was thinking of COTS yesterday when I was going through different songs in my head that I might like to make as a backing track for guitar and wondered, if that would be a good one to do. As far as other songs falling out of rotation, it's mostly the "hits" (Iron Man, Paranoid, Sweet Leaf etc) that I'm burnt out on. Fortunately for me, Sabbath has such an enormous catalogue, I doubt I'll ever be sick of everything, Unlike Zeppelin, which there's not to much left I can enjoy without that "Heard this too many times already" feeling.
      We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Axe fiend View Post
        Sounds like my experience exactly, except I haven't gone back to listening to it again, yet. I was thinking of COTS yesterday when I was going through different songs in my head that I might like to make as a backing track for guitar and wondered, if that would be a good one to do. As far as other songs falling out of rotation, it's mostly the "hits" (Iron Man, Paranoid, Sweet Leaf etc) that I'm burnt out on. Fortunately for me, Sabbath has such an enormous catalogue, I doubt I'll ever be sick of everything, Unlike Zeppelin, which there's not to much left I can enjoy without that "Heard this too many times already" feeling.
        Yeah, the problem with Zeppelin is there's just nowhere to run. You can't go to Coda or ITtOD or even Presence. That's 3 albums of basically garbage, and the deep, deep cuts on most of their other albums are really unlistenable. With Sabbath, everything is at the very least listenable and if you get fatigue (shame on you...) you can always explore the family tree a bit, do some Solo stuff, all roads lead back to Sabbath.

Zeppelin is strictly Zeppelin.

Comment

Here's some Zeppelin, just before they were Zeppelin, backing up P.J. Proby:

We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Comment

Presence is one of Page's favorite Zep albums, I like it to, it was a guitar album, after a so so Houses OTH (which paled terribly to IV) and the over indulgent PG which should have been condensed into a single album.
            "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
            R. Blackmore

Comment

I find myself turning to Willie Dixon's stuff when I get in a mood for Zeppelin. Then I start listening to Big Joe Turner and Little Richard... lots of stuff from the fifties that is truly evergreen.

Being able to listen to so much new stuff via YouTube and Bandcamp, good and bad, allows me to refresh and make myself ready to hear the classics again and really appreciate them for what they were. There are a lot of bands that get close, but just drop the ball and wander around cluelessly.

There are a lot of albums that are now famous for being famous, but I find unlistenable as single entities. I want to pick and choose and toss out tracks. I listened to Patti Smith's Horses the other day and thought that was a masterpiece. Then I went for The Velvet Underground with Nico and I'm sorry, but the drummer really sent me up the wall.

Grand Funk used to spark my plugs all the time, every time. Now, I'm pickier with my GFR and a little less forgiving when Farner and Brewer can't harmonize on a tune. I used to think both were good on vocals, but now I'm definitely more partial to when Brewer is singing.

Comment

Working...
              X