Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have really negative first impressions of Heaven & Hell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I first got it in 1981 and it was an instant addiction that remains to this day.

Prior to that, I had only heard Paranoid at a girlfriend's house, played by her uncle. At that time I was too into KISS and Hendrix to notice.

I heard some carping at the time that it said it sounded like Rainbow, but as at that time I had not heard any Rainbow albums I couldn't confirm or deny that.

I just thought "this is so cool and this singer is fantastic!"

I got Blizzard Of Ozz not long after. I remember some who had the bullshit attitude that if you liked one you couldn't like the other but I didn't care...I liked them both, though I liked Heaven And Hell​ better.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
      I remember some who had the bullshit attitude that if you liked one you couldn't like the other but I didn't care...I liked them both, though I liked Heaven And Hell​ better.
      I never had that attitude, I always liked both, never got into the Dio/Ozzy wars, my preference is Ozzy and Ozzy/Sabbath, but always loved Ronnie's material, both in and out of Sabbath.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Maybe because I was never (at that point) a fan of the original band and had never owned any of their albums I was more open to RJD, plus he became my favourite singer of all time.

That was the first Sabbath album I ever owned. Paranoid was second. Mob Rules was third (we're talking about mid-late 1981). Owning H&H motivated me to check out the original lineup.

As a guitarist my "allegiance" ended up being to Tony Iommi rather than to any singer, though Randy Rhoads did blow me away when I heard him.

Comment

Maybe because I was never (at that point) a fan of the original band and had never owned any of their albums I was more open to RJD, plus he became my favourite singer of all time.

That was the first Sabbath album I ever owned. Paranoid was second. Mob Rules was third (we're talking about mid-late 1981). Owning H&H motivated me to check out the original lineup.

As a guitarist my "allegiance" ended up being to Tony Iommi rather than to any singer, though Randy Rhoads did blow me away when I heard him.
          That's great Heaven And Hell motivated you to check out the original line-up, what did you think back then when you checked out the originals?

Randy blew me away too when I first heard Blizzard, he still does to this day, he's in my top 3, of all time, Randy was phenomenal.
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
            That's great Heaven And Hell motivated you to check out the original line-up, what did you think back then when you checked out the originals?

Randy blew me away too when I first heard Blizzard, he still does to this day, he's in my top 3, of all time, Randy was phenomenal.
            Well, the atmosphere was perfect.

I was 15 years old, there was a thunderstorm going on and I put Paranoid on the turntable.

Scared the shit out of me (in a good way!) I thought, "Man this is heavy!"

Of course my stepfather ended up calling upstairs "WILL YOU TURN THAT SHIT DOWN?"

Rhoads was one-of-a-kind. Edward Van Halen has carped that Rhoads ripped him off but I really don't think he did.

Comment

Well, the atmosphere was perfect.

I was 15 years old, there was a thunderstorm going on and I put Paranoid on the turntable.

Scared the shit out of me (in a good way!) I thought, "Man this is heavy!"

Of course my stepfather ended up calling upstairs "WILL YOU TURN THAT SHIT DOWN?"

Rhoads was one-of-a-kind. Edward Van Halen has carped that Rhoads ripped him off but I really don't think he did.
              Thanks for sharing, The debut album had the same effect on me.

If Rhoads copied Eddie, then he did a better job than Eddie himself.

Comment

Working...
              X