Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Ronnie James Dio the GREATEST Metal Singer Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DARKEST LIGHT
    replied
    Without a doubt- yes.

Leave a comment:

• William_the_Bloody
    replied
    [quote:diommi]
    Charisma?
    [/quote]

I'm not sure you understand what Charisma is. Nothing you described is an attribute of charisma. You described showmanship, which draws on Charisma, but is not limited to Charisma. How he sounds on stage versus studio has nothing to do with anything at all related to what I said. Do you like Dio better than Ozzy? Because that's okay, nobody is trying to take that away from you, however don't let one word in my well crafted comment get you derailed from what I actually said. Go ahead and re-read it and get back to me.

Leave a comment:

• phathaithaihaorg
    replied
    I've loved everything he's ever done

Leave a comment:

• Wheels Of Confusion
    replied
    He had an incredible voice but overdid things, particularly in a live setting.
    As a singer, sometimes you need to shut up and let the instruments do the talking.

I'm talking about the ad lib stuff- Ozzy is guilty of this too with his bellowing.

Leave a comment:

• Diommi
    replied
    A lack of Charisma? Have you ever witnessed a live performance? He always had a crowd eating out of his hand. His obvious appreciation for the crowd and his love for them permeated every performance. He was one of a very few singers that actually sounded better live than in the studio.

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    he and Ozzy are the 2 greatest HM voices and Sabbath had them both!
    Very true Wicked, and agreed!

Leave a comment:

• Wicked Cricket
    replied
    he and Ozzy are the 2 greatest HM voices and Sabbath had them both!

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    My favorite singer of all time is Ozzy Osbourne, from the moment I heard his voice I fell in love with it, and I've loved everything he's ever done, both in Sabbath, solo and guest appearances on other Artist's albums.

This is a hard topic for me, because I also love Ronnie's voice and everything he's ever done, Elf, Rainbow, Sabbath and even his earlier stuff, the doo wop type stuff.

So for me it would be a tie between Ozzy and Dio, and I'd prefer to leave it like that.

Leave a comment:

• A Sabbath Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    Dio is the greatest singer of all. However, there is something about him that keeps him from claiming the title, truly. I don't know what it is...I think there's a lack of Charisma, perhaps, and when you hear how great he was with the Elf stuff, which is sort of a Modern Tin Pan Alley thing...well, you wonder if Dio was truly metal or if he just nicked it, you know? Left to his own devices, Dio tended to kind of suck a bit...lame music beds with endless space for nonsense lyrics. Hell, even he knew that he was better with Sabbath and always jumped at every opportunity to get back with the boys. (And he was right)

A certain amount of ego was well earned and deserved but also comes off as a little douchey sometimes.

For these reasons, Dio is NOT the greatest singer of all time, even though nothing I said has anything to do with his actual talent or vocal ability.

----

Who is it then, if not Dio?

Nobody...it's Dio.
    I can understand your viewpoint on this W_t_B. Regarding Ronnie's return to Sabbath in 1992---- to be fair---- I would add though that Tony and Geezer weren't exactly setting the rock world on fire either.

If the time wasn't right for the original lineup at that point, Iommi and Butler knew that the "next best thing" would be to reunite with Ronnie. And frankly, I was more than happy with that.

The return of Dio-era Sabbath was inevitable in some ways, although still a little surprising in retrospect. That said, I agree that when "left to his own devices" Ronnie indeed fell into his own trap of self-parody, and an unfunny one at that.

Finally, I agree ---and firmly believe--- that even Ronnie himself felt at his best artistically with Black Sabbath---- without question. Great post W_t_B.

Leave a comment:

• William_the_Bloody
    replied
    Dio is the greatest singer of all. However, there is something about him that keeps him from claiming the title, truly. I don't know what it is...I think there's a lack of Charisma, perhaps, and when you hear how great he was with the Elf stuff, which is sort of a Modern Tin Pan Alley thing...well, you wonder if Dio was truly metal or if he just nicked it, you know? Left to his own devices, Dio tended to kind of suck a bit...lame music beds with endless space for nonsense lyrics. Hell, even he knew that he was better with Sabbath and always jumped at every opportunity to get back with the boys. (And he was right)

A certain amount of ego was well earned and deserved but also comes off as a little douchey sometimes.

For these reasons, Dio is NOT the greatest singer of all time, even though nothing I said has anything to do with his actual talent or vocal ability.

----

Who is it then, if not Dio?

Nobody...it's Dio.

Leave a comment:

• Diommi
    replied
    Dio was the best singer ever...of any genre!

Leave a comment:

• Was Ronnie James Dio the GREATEST Metal Singer Ever?

For better exposure/as we are on the Sabbath site, I present this here:

Was Ronnie James Dio the GREATEST Metal Singer Ever?

[Vocal Coach Analysis]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOh8DwdX7v4

Working...
X