Announcement

Collapse

Google Ads Question

Hey gang. I just posted something asking about Google Ads on my website. I'd like people's input (and help possibly) on this. Please go over here and have a read:

https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/for...ads#post645883

--- Joe
See more
See less

Honest opinion - Dio didn't sound great on the Ozzy songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest opinion - Dio didn't sound great on the Ozzy songs

Thoughts/opinions?

Massive Dio era fan, but his voice just didn't suit the Ozzy era material. Always think it's dumb when fans say about how Dio blew Ozzy out of the water vocally, when in reality, their styles were so different, and neither one of them could do justice to the others material.

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
    Thoughts/opinions?

Massive Dio era fan, but his voice just didn't suit the Ozzy era material. Always think it's dumb when fans say about how Dio blew Ozzy out of the water vocally, when in reality, their styles were so different, and neither one of them could do justice to the others material.
    I prefer Dio as a singer/songwriter over Ozzy by miles but I tend to agree that except for the song "Black Sabbath" those songs are better suited to Ozzy's voice. That said I do think Dio still sounded great just not as great. Dio and Ozzy are very different vocalists.

Comment

Originally posted by DARKEST LIGHT View Post
      I prefer Dio as a singer/songwriter over Ozzy by miles but I tend to agree that except for the song "Black Sabbath" those songs are better suited to Ozzy's voice. That said I do think Dio still sounded great just not as great. Dio and Ozzy are very different vocalists.
      I'll have to re-listen to his version of Black Sabbath.

Comment

I definitely prefer Ozzy's voice on his Black Sabbath songs. For me there were only 2 songs where Ronnie came close to or was on par to matching Ozzy: N.I.B. and Children of the Grave.

Comment

Comment

Dio* sounded fabulous on the Ozzy** era songs, just like during his whole career. But Ozzy** is the real & right voice*** on those songs, being a part of the original entirety.

* Appice
            ** Bill
            *** drummer
            "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Thoughts/opinions?

Interesting thread. When I first heard Live Evil in late 1984, I also felt that Ronnie's voice didn't suit the original lineup's material very well. To my ears, the most glaring examples from that album are Paranoid and Black Sabbath. In short order, only ONE lineup can pull off these two specific songs credibly---- Butler, Iommi, Osbourne, and Ward.

Having said that, I was happy and honored to see Ronnie perform Mach I material on the Dehumanizer tour in 1992. Being there, it sounded far superior to what Live Evil represented, in my opinion.

It should be said that as long as Ronnie was a member of Black Sabbath, he would have to sing some of the original band's material. Even if he didn't want to--- fairly or unfairly.

On the other hand, Ozzy would never have to sing a Dio-era Sabbath song, even if his life depended on it. Rightly so I might add--again--- fairly or unfairly. ...

P.S. I do agree with those who say that the Dio era indeed pulled off N.I.B. Great version!

Comment

Originally posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
                Interesting thread. When I first heard Live Evil in late 1984, I also felt that Ronnie's voice didn't suit the original lineup's material very well. To my ears, the most glaring examples from that album are Paranoid and Black Sabbath. In short order, only ONE lineup can pull off these two specific songs credibly---- Butler, Iommi, Osbourne, and Ward.

Having said that, I was happy and honored to see Ronnie perform Mach I material on the Dehumanizer tour in 1992. Being there, it sounded far superior to what Live Evil represented, in my opinion.

It should be said that as long as Ronnie was a member of Black Sabbath, he would have to sing some of the original band's material. Even if he didn't want to--- fairly or unfairly.

On the other hand, Ozzy would never have to sing a Dio-era Sabbath song, even if his life depended on it. Rightly so I might add--again--- fairly or unfairly. ...

P.S. I do agree with those who say that the Dio era indeed pulled off N.I.B. Great version!
                You make a good point. The thought of Ozzy trying to pull off a song like Computer God or The Mob Rules is actually laughable, so it's not fair to give Dio shit for not quite sounding right on some of the Ozzy era Sabbath songs. I mean, Dio never sounds bad singing these songs (Dio never sounded bad ever). It's just that some of the songs don't sound "right."

He does sound great on Children of The Grave and NIB and does a respectable rendition of Iron Man. War Pigs and Paranoid just sound wrong though, to my ears.

I know he performed Sweet Leaf too on the H&H tour, which I'd like to hear.

Dio was in an unfortunate position of having to cover this material in those 80s/90s tenures with the band, and I'm sure it was much more gratifying for him when they reformed as H&H, to just perform the songs that he helped write with the band.

Comment

Originally posted by Dante_Doomsday View Post
                  I definitely prefer Ozzy's voice on his Black Sabbath songs. For me there were only 2 songs where Ronnie came close to or was on par to matching Ozzy: N.I.B. and Children of the Grave.
                  As someone who sort of sings, I recognize the problem here immediately...this is an occasion where the band should've *raised* the key maybe a whole step. Dio is not reaching, he is used to reaching. This is almost talk-singing for him, and he's not very good in this range. The band is tight as hell in this video. Butler seems beaked out of his mind "IM EFFING GEEZER BUTLER BITCHES!"

Comment

its hit and miss mainly miss but the song BS and NIB hes very good...
                    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                    R. Blackmore

Comment

Thoughts/opinions?

Great post, only Ozzy can sing his songs properly, and yes there styles are differently, I enjoy Dio singing some of the Ozzy era songs like N.I.B. and Black Sabbath.
                      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
                      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
                      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
                        Great post, only Ozzy can sing his songs properly, and yes there styles are differently, I enjoy Dio singing some of the Ozzy era songs like N.I.B. and Black Sabbath.
                        It's interesting to hear Dio sing the songs as an anomaly, but really and truly, Ozzy owns those songs and nobody else can touch him with those original Sabbath songs, no matter how technically superior they are as singers.

Comment

The single most phenomenal live version of NIB is not sung by the Oz man ...

One of the absolute most sensational versions of the track BLACK SABBATH live is not sung by the Oz man or Dio ....

The best live version of Sweet Leaf is not sung by the Oz man ...

The best live version of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is not sung by the Oz man ...

The best live version of Neon Knights is not sung by Dio ....

The best live version of Danger Zone is not sung by Glenn (the greatest vocalist in today's world 'from the 70s' that is still singing) .....

One of the most "killer" live versions of Computer God is not sung by Dio ....

- There is sooo many fantastic live versions of Sabbath songs out there , played by Sabbath live without the original vocalist of that particular track ,,, that's what separates Sabbath from any other band in the world - quality , quality , quality within all of its diversity - astounding!

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

One of the most "killer" live versions of Computer God is not sung by Dio ....

- There is sooo many fantastic live versions of Sabbath songs out there , played by Sabbath live without the original vocalist of that particular track ,,, that's what separates Sabbath from any other band in the world - quality , quality , quality within all of its diversity - astounding!

Who else sang Computer God? Please don't say Rob Halford, because he butchered it imo.

Comment

Who else sang Computer God? Please don't say Rob Halford, because he butchered it imo.
                              Rob does a fantastic! job on computer God imo, the end is goosebumpy! I love that concert with rob Vinny butler & Iommi \m/
                              Rob does a fantastic! sotu as well, black sabbath forever \m/
                              Last edited by ronn; 12-27-2019, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X