Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike146
    replied
    NIB could have been written by Ronnie, that is how good that track is with him. War Pigs and Children of the Grave are both better with Ronnie as well. IMHO of course. Black Sabbath was hit or miss...Live Evil think a bit much, but the version from Hammersmith on disc 2 of mob rules deluxe is awesome. Iron Man and Paranoid just are not suited for him. The song does not leave room to breathe...and for Ronnie to truly sing a song with conviction, he needs that space. It was great they played them when they did as part of Black Sabbath...but these two just never seemed to work.

Ian Gillan did a great job on the song Black Sabbath as well. Ray Gillen was great and sang the songs very much in the Dio image in my mind.

Songs not played live with Ronnie that I think would have a chance of being great versions would have included....
    The Wizard - hello, wizard is the name of the song...stargazer...whole rainbow catalog...LOL.

Fairies Wear Boots - well maybe not...but just one of my all time favorite songs, not just favorite BS song, so would have liked him to try.

All in all...definitely some hits and some misses when he had to sing original Ozzy songs, but even the ones that weren't in his wheelhouse, were still listenable.

Leave a comment:

• architect
    replied
    Originally posted by Towelie View Post
    Does anyone have a list of all the Ozzy-era Sabbath songs Dio sang live?

I know of:
    War Pigs
    Paranoid
    NIB
    Black Sabbath
    Children Of The Grave
    Iron Man

Were there anymore?
    He also sang Sweet Leaf on the Heaven and Hell tour 1980. Didnt sound so good though the song not suitable to his voice, but I like Dio singing N.I.B. Black Sabbath, Iron Man and Children of the grave.

Leave a comment:

• Tromafreak
    replied

I know of:
    War Pigs
    Paranoid
    NIB
    Black Sabbath
    Children Of The Grave
    Iron Man

Were there anymore?
    I have no idea if there were, but was just thinking, the songs I do know of that he's covered are really the problem. Iron Man and Paranoid doesn't exactly give his voice room to shine. Perfect for Ozzy, but it's not far-fetched to think Dio might have made more of an impression on something like Spiral Architect or Wheel Of Confusion. Way too many songs they didn't make use of live before and after Dio.
    Last edited by Tromafreak; 01-06-2020, 11:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Towelie
    replied

I know of:
    War Pigs
    Paranoid
    NIB
    Black Sabbath
    Children Of The Grave
    Iron Man

Were there anymore?

Leave a comment:

• maestro
    replied
    Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I have Ozzy Meets The Priest Bootleg CD, which I believe is the Live and Loud Reunion and the DVD Costa Mesa, Orange County, CA November 14TH 1992 and the DVD Live at Tweeter Center, The Waterfront, Camden, N.J. August 26th 2004 shows.
    Yeah. That was live and loud. Id love a copy of that officially released in all its glory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by maestro View Post
    I have pretty good copies of them but an official release. From the soundboard would make my day. I’m sure they were recorded. Especially the Costa Mesa show where they recoded the Sabs reunion for Live And Loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have Ozzy Meets The Priest Bootleg CD, which I believe is the Live and Loud Reunion and the DVD Costa Mesa, Orange County, CA November 14TH 1992 and the DVD Live at Tweeter Center, The Waterfront, Camden, N.J. August 26th 2004 shows.

Leave a comment:

• maestro
    replied
    I also have the shows Rob did with Priest, I enjoyed his performances on the classic Sabbath songs, both the Ozzy and Dio ones.
    I have pretty good copies of them but an official release. From the soundboard would make my day. Im sure they were recorded. Especially the Costa Mesa show where they recoded the Sabs reunion for Live And Loud

Leave a comment:

• OzzyIsDio
    replied
    Originally posted by maestro View Post
    I LOVE THE 3 Sabbath shows Rob did with Sabbath. So great. I wish the officially released one of them.

I also have the shows Rob did with Priest, I enjoyed his performances on the classic Sabbath songs, both the Ozzy and Dio ones.

Leave a comment:

• maestro
    replied
    Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    100% without question ,, Rob Halford does a magnificent version live - with COMPUTER GOD ,, in fact Rob does a commendable job across the board live with Sabbath both night's ,, the 14th and 15th ,,, he also does an incredible COTS as well ,,, We can even throw 8-24-04 into the mix for good measure - live Sab rules!

Ronnie Boy , you be 100% correct my good brother , Rob Halford does a splendid job with SOTU ,, absolutely splendid .... cementing his name in Sabbath lore - as you said , forever!
    I LOVE THE 3 Sabbath shows Rob did with Sabbath. So great. I wish the officially released one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Towelie
    replied
    100% without question ,, Rob Halford does a magnificent version live - with COMPUTER GOD ,, in fact Rob does a commendable job across the board live with Sabbath both night's ,, the 14th and 15th ,,, he also does an incredible COTS as well ,,, We can even throw 8-24-04 into the mix for good measure - live Sab rules!

Ronnie Boy , you be 100% correct my good brother , Rob Halford does a splendid job with SOTU ,, absolutely splendid .... cementing his name in Sabbath lore - as you said , forever!

Don't get me wrong, I love Rob Halford and am a massive Priest fan, but I just hate hearing other people sing Dio's songs. He was such a unique singer and so hard to cover.

Leave a comment:

• BACK TO EDEN
    replied
    Who else sang Computer God? Please don't say Rob Halford, because he butchered it imo.

Originally posted by ronn View Post
    Rob does a fantastic! job on computer God imo, the end is goosebumpy! I love that concert with rob Vinny butler & Iommi \m/
    Rob does a fantastic! sotu as well, black sabbath forever \m/
    Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 12-27-2019, 08:09 PM. Reason: GOD BLESS .... !

Leave a comment:

• ronn
    replied
    Who else sang Computer God? Please don't say Rob Halford, because he butchered it imo.
    Rob does a fantastic! job on computer God imo, the end is goosebumpy! I love that concert with rob Vinny butler & Iommi \m/
    Rob does a fantastic! sotu as well, black sabbath forever \m/
    Last edited by ronn; 12-27-2019, 06:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Towelie
    replied

One of the most "killer" live versions of Computer God is not sung by Dio ....

- There is sooo many fantastic live versions of Sabbath songs out there , played by Sabbath live without the original vocalist of that particular track ,,, that's what separates Sabbath from any other band in the world - quality , quality , quality within all of its diversity - astounding!

Leave a comment:

• BACK TO EDEN
    replied
    The single most phenomenal live version of NIB is not sung by the Oz man ...

One of the absolute most sensational versions of the track BLACK SABBATH live is not sung by the Oz man or Dio ....

The best live version of Sweet Leaf is not sung by the Oz man ...

The best live version of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is not sung by the Oz man ...

The best live version of Neon Knights is not sung by Dio ....

The best live version of Danger Zone is not sung by Glenn (the greatest vocalist in today's world 'from the 70s' that is still singing) .....

One of the most "killer" live versions of Computer God is not sung by Dio ....

- There is sooo many fantastic live versions of Sabbath songs out there , played by Sabbath live without the original vocalist of that particular track ,,, that's what separates Sabbath from any other band in the world - quality , quality , quality within all of its diversity - astounding!

Leave a comment:

• Towelie
    replied
    Great post, only Ozzy can sing his songs properly, and yes there styles are differently, I enjoy Dio singing some of the Ozzy era songs like N.I.B. and Black Sabbath.
    It's interesting to hear Dio sing the songs as an anomaly, but really and truly, Ozzy owns those songs and nobody else can touch him with those original Sabbath songs, no matter how technically superior they are as singers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X