Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Slapback" and an untitled/unreleased song became "Walk Away" (explained in video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Slapback" and an untitled/unreleased song became "Walk Away" (explained in video)

Elements from the recently-released song "Slapback" (1979) and an untitled song were combined and significantly reworked and became "Walk Away." It's all explained in this video, in which I play some of the unused riffs and earlier versions of the riffs to illustrate. I've spent the last three days making this video because it's very detailed, 25 minutes long, and has a ton of information. Some of the connections are pretty abstract, so I use music theory terminology to explain them--if you'd like to me clarify or define anything, I'm happy to. Enjoy!

Great stuff as usual Nolan!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

We have to ask Tony about this song, man..
      Do you hear the thunder raging in the sky?
      Premonition of a shattered world thatís gonna die.
      In the age of reason, how do we survive?
      The protocols of evil ravaging so many lives?

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
        Great stuff as usual Nolan!
        Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by nolanstolz View Post
          Elements from the recently-released song "Slapback" (1979) and an untitled song were combined and significantly reworked and became "Walk Away." It's all explained in this video, in which I play some of the unused riffs and earlier versions of the riffs to illustrate. I've spent the last three days making this video because it's very detailed, 25 minutes long, and has a ton of information. Some of the connections are pretty abstract, so I use music theory terminology to explain them--if you'd like to me clarify or define anything, I'm happy to. Enjoy!
          Nolan I like the theories you’re using to put together what you’re putting together, fantastic work! My encyclopedia for Sabbath song existence is pretty wide-open, so my question to you is the song your calling “Lord she’s handsome“ , Where is this music for that track located? Where is it from? And where have you heard it? Thanks buddy , Doc

PS if you included it and I missed it, please forgive me my bad.

Comment

Great job.....

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

Nolan I like the theories you’re using to put together what you’re putting together, fantastic work! My encyclopedia for Sabbath song existence is pretty wide-open, so my question to you is the song your calling “Lord she’s handsome“ , Where is this music for that track located? Where is it from? And where have you heard it? Thanks buddy , Doc

PS if you included it and I missed it, please forgive me my bad.
              Thanks Doc (and sellingmysoul)! That recording is not publicly available, unfortunately. That's one of the reasons I have that bit at the end about hoping that more rehearsal recordings are released--not just because fans want to hear them, but for study purposes as well. I've had similar difficulties studying Zappa's music. One time, I traveled to the New York Public Library to visit their special collections just to look at a Zappa score. I couldn't bring in any electronics so that it can't be copied; in fact, I couldn't even bring in blank manuscript/sheet music paper to handcopy any music. I could only use a small piece of paper some abstract ideas/notes!

Comment

Walk Away a commercially potential radio hit love it!
                "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                R. Blackmore

Comment

Thanks Doc (and sellingmysoul)! That recording is not publicly available, unfortunately. That's one of the reasons I have that bit at the end about hoping that more rehearsal recordings are released--not just because fans want to hear them, but for study purposes as well. I've had similar difficulties studying Zappa's music. One time, I traveled to the New York Public Library to visit their special collections just to look at a Zappa score. I couldn't bring in any electronics so that it can't be copied; in fact, I couldn't even bring in blank manuscript/sheet music paper to handcopy any music. I could only use a small piece of paper some abstract ideas/notes!
                  When you say not publicly available are you including trading circles and or connections ... in other words do you have it or have heard that piece of music your calling “Lord She’s Handsome” or have you only transcribed it ,,, if you have it or have heard it , what is some info on it so I can understand it and see if I have it already or can attain it. Thanks

Comment

Doc: It may be in trading circles, but I don't know. If you have it already, then you would've recognized it. If you have sources to attain recordings like that, then ask them if they have an early version of "Walk Away" or share the bits from my video to see if they recognize it.

Comment

Doc: It may be in trading circles, but I don't know. If you have it already, then you would've recognized it. If you have sources to attain recordings like that, then ask them if they have an early version of "Walk Away" or share the bits from my video to see if they recognize it.
                      My good man , I may have it but when I watch the video I’m not sure what I am looking for, if it’s you playing it on the guitar , I may not recognize it , that’s no disrespect to you , that’s just my ear being in tune to Iommi on things I don’t hear as often as other things.

When you say share the bits from your video, what bits am I looking for from the video, again is it you playing the guitar?

And yes will do, on contacting sources and bringing up early versions of “Walk Away” ....

God bless brother

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post

My good man , I may have it but when I watch the video I’m not sure what I am looking for,
                        There are two to look for:

The intro riff/solo backing riff starts at 15:33; it's pretty distinctive, regardless of who plays it (or how poorly I play it, haha) or even on what instrument (piano, guitar, etc.). It was not used for "Walk Away," but I'll have to look into seeing if was revised/reworked into another song. https://youtu.be/V8yqxRrFFOg?t=933

At 17:41 the verse riff is written out, and I play it at 17:47 in the video (this one is very similar to the one in "Walk Away," and I illustrate how): https://youtu.be/V8yqxRrFFOg?t=933

There's a third that I don't play because they just stay on the same note for the entire section--it has a "Zeppelin-y" vibe, is the best I can describe. Likely a a place-holder until they came up with something better.

Comment

There are two to look for:

The intro riff/solo backing riff starts at 15:33; it's pretty distinctive, regardless of who plays it (or how poorly I play it, haha) or even on what instrument (piano, guitar, etc.). It was not used for "Walk Away," but I'll have to look into seeing if was revised/reworked into another song. https://youtu.be/V8yqxRrFFOg?t=933

At 17:41 the verse riff is written out, and I play it at 17:47 in the video (this one is very similar to the one in "Walk Away," and I illustrate how): https://youtu.be/V8yqxRrFFOg?t=933

There's a third that I don't play because they just stay on the same note for the entire section--it has a "Zeppelin-y" vibe, is the best I can describe. Likely a a place-holder until they came up with something better.
                          Now that was a perfect answer, I will have to check if I have those two riffs and if I have the third one you’re talking about that you did not play that’s Zeppelin like. I’ll even check all live recordings from around that time frame.

Good stuff buddy.

Comment

Working...
                          X