regarding the Devil Horns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regarding the Devil Horns.

Jinx Dawson of Coven is recognized as the first to do the horns onstage. Coven toured with Rainbow. Jinx claims though that the horns she does are different from the "hex" sign RJD said he got from his Italian grandmother.

" Lars Ulrich was once asked who he thought invented the horns and said "That’s got to be Ronnie James Dio. I remember Rainbow used to play in Denmark about every half hour, so I used to go see it every half hour. And Ronnie James Dio did a lot of that."

https://metalinjection.net/shocking-...r-gene-simmons

And this is from Curl's biography:
    Ronnie’s first cousin Bill Padavona remembers the first time he and Ronnie witnessed their grandmother use the malocchio. “There was an old woman that lived just a few houses from Ronnie’s house,” said Bill. “She was an old Sicilian lady, always wore black—black socks, black bun in her hair. I remember her first name was Concetta, and my grandmother always said Concetta was like the local ‘witch doctor.’ And Ronnie and I were sitting on the front porch of our grandmother’s house and she went by and she was barking off something in Italian and I guess our grandmother didn’t like what she said, so she gave her the ‘evil eye,’the finger thing to ward her off. So then Ronnie and I picked up on it and we would do it to people we didn’t like; we were just kids. So that’s how that whole thing really got going.” Dio "... I've been flashing the sign that I use before that, even in Rainbow days, so in Sabbath I felt it was a good connection between the darkness of the music and the darkness between what that symbol supposed to be ...."

https://alternative-zine.com/interviews/en/51

RoughEdge.com: After all these years, how does it feel to have kind of started a subliminally funny revolution with the horns-up sign?
    Ronnie James Dio: Well, once again it’s one of those things that come completely unexpected. It’s just a natural gesture of something I did that I saw as a kid from my grandmother, you know? She brought it from Italy as a superstitious gesture that’s been used, as you suggested with Egyptian times so long ago. Of course, I never invented it but for some reason that gesture happened to pop up. I was watching a Rainbow video the other day as a matter-of-fact, and I noticed I did it in that one too, though not very often. So it was always inherent there, but I think Sabbath was certainly a vehicle to be able to do something that I knew was a little bit more kind of an evil sign—not trying to give it that meaning—but it just worked and once I started to do it, it just happened to balloon more and more. People expected me to do it and I’ve used it so much I’ve become synonymous with it, but no, I didn’t invent it. To answer your question, it’s pretty cool, really, to have invented something like that! Really cool.

http://www.roughedge.com/features/dio2005.htm

https://youtu.be/eE50NlWSk4k?t=291 rainbow 1976 Reduce the speed to 0.5. That's the horns, isn't it?

also this photo I think is Rainbow. I don't think Dio wore that shirt in Sabbath or in his Dio band. (I looked around and can confirm its a sabbath pic)
    https://www.pinterest.de/pin/526991593883033662/

I also think Dio didn't steal the sacred heart and magica idea from Geezer, Dio was very much into that stuff and religion.
    Last edited by Dehumanizer3000; 03-30-2021, 12:09 AM.

Originally posted by Dehumanizer3000 View Post
    Jinx Dawson of Coven is recognized as the first to do the horns onstage. Coven toured with Rainbow. Jinx claims though that the horns she does are different from the "hex" sign RJD said he got from his Italian grandmother.

" Lars Ulrich was once asked who he thought invented the horns and said "That’s got to be Ronnie James Dio. I remember Rainbow used to play in Denmark about every half hour, so I used to go see it every half hour. And Ronnie James Dio did a lot of that."

https://metalinjection.net/shocking-...r-gene-simmons

And this is from Curl's biography:
    Ronnie’s first cousin Bill Padavona remembers the first time he and Ronnie witnessed their grandmother use the malocchio. “There was an old woman that lived just a few houses from Ronnie’s house,” said Bill. “She was an old Sicilian lady, always wore black—black socks, black bun in her hair. I remember her first name was Concetta, and my grandmother always said Concetta was like the local ‘witch doctor.’ And Ronnie and I were sitting on the front porch of our grandmother’s house and she went by and she was barking off something in Italian and I guess our grandmother didn’t like what she said, so she gave her the ‘evil eye,’the finger thing to ward her off. So then Ronnie and I picked up on it and we would do it to people we didn’t like; we were just kids. So that’s how that whole thing really got going.” Dio "... I've been flashing the sign that I use before that, even in Rainbow days, so in Sabbath I felt it was a good connection between the darkness of the music and the darkness between what that symbol supposed to be ...."

https://alternative-zine.com/interviews/en/51

RoughEdge.com: After all these years, how does it feel to have kind of started a subliminally funny revolution with the horns-up sign?
    Ronnie James Dio: Well, once again it’s one of those things that come completely unexpected. It’s just a natural gesture of something I did that I saw as a kid from my grandmother, you know? She brought it from Italy as a superstitious gesture that’s been used, as you suggested with Egyptian times so long ago. Of course, I never invented it but for some reason that gesture happened to pop up. I was watching a Rainbow video the other day as a matter-of-fact, and I noticed I did it in that one too, though not very often. So it was always inherent there, but I think Sabbath was certainly a vehicle to be able to do something that I knew was a little bit more kind of an evil sign—not trying to give it that meaning—but it just worked and once I started to do it, it just happened to balloon more and more. People expected me to do it and I’ve used it so much I’ve become synonymous with it, but no, I didn’t invent it. To answer your question, it’s pretty cool, really, to have invented something like that! Really cool.

http://www.roughedge.com/features/dio2005.htm

https://youtu.be/eE50NlWSk4k?t=291 rainbow 1976 Reduce the speed to 0.5. That's the horns, isn't it?

also this photo I think is Rainbow. I don't think Dio wore that shirt in Sabbath or in his Dio band. (I looked around and can confirm its a sabbath pic)
    https://www.pinterest.de/pin/526991593883033662/

I also think Dio didn't steal the sacred heart and magica idea from Geezer, Dio was very much into that stuff and religion.
    As I understand one form of the Malochio wards off the evil eye and the curse bestowed upon you and the other form puts the hex on you, from what I read once, Dio saying the version he does is to ward off evil not to bestow it upon someone as Jinx Dawson did, her form was to ward evil onto people as she is a Satanist, it's all how you form your fingers, how you use your thumb over your middle and ring finger or put your thumb under your middle and ring finger.

That's ridiculous Geezer claiming to be the first, first Gene Simmons now Geezer? Jinx Dawson was the first that I can remember and just for the record, that's not an Italian thing, that's a Southern European thing, I didn't know it had it's origins all the way back to Egyptology.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 04-05-2021, 07:13 AM. Reason: Typo
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________Sabbath Forever, Forever Sabbath!______OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

Isn't Italy part of southern Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by SDMF Jon View Post
        Isn't Italy part of southern Europe?
        Yes, so is Portugal, Spain, and France and I believe Greece.
        "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
        "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Right... I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I was just curious. Obviously, I'm not from Europe, so I'm not trying to speak from a place of experience or local knowledge (although I have been to Europe, which is cool).

Is it like we say stateside...? "Florida is southern United States, but it's not 'The South'."

Comment

Originally posted by SDMF Jon View Post
            Right... I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I was just curious. Obviously, I'm not from Europe, so I'm not trying to speak from a place of experience or local knowledge (although I have been to Europe, which is cool).

Is it like we say stateside...? "Florida is southern United States, but it's not 'The South'."
            I'm not from Europe either, I am born and raised here in the the U.S. but as majority of Americans am descended of European ancestry, so yeah I guess you can say that.

Though in America it's different as we are a Country made up of 50 States and territories,as in Europe it's a Continent made up of different sovereign countries, like Portugal, Spain, Italy, France and Greece are all sovereign countries belonging to the southern part Europe, but don't quote me on the Southern European countries, I am only certain of Portugal, Spain and Italy, France and Greece might not even be part of the Southern European part, I'm not an expert on European Geography, perhaps there are other members on here who are from Europe who can clarify this.
            Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 04-05-2021, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X