Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROGER GLOVER:

Ronnie James Dio, RIP

Ronnie James Dio A huge part of my life just disappeared. Words are not enough, emotions are too much.

My sincere condolences to Ronnie's family and friends.

RG

http://www.rogerglover.com/home/6-me...s-dio-rip.html

Comment

Fellow Rainbow vocalist Joe Lynn Turner...

Such sad news about Ronnie James Dio's passing...I thought he was healing. We not only lost a legend but we lost a friend. Ronnie was a true gentleman of rock...always kind and giving. I was proud to know him....everyone he touched was raised higher. His energy and legacy will live on...and i ....as a fellow member of ...Rainbow...will continue to sing his praises and his songs. May god hold him in his hands...RIP.

Comment

I must said it really took my by surprise that in the morning news radio shows in Guadalajara, Mexico, one of the first notes they read, was about Ronnie's dead.

This city usually ignores all related to metal and rock music. Not today.

Thanks Gonzalo from RMX and the girl from Pulso Informativo (sorry, I forgot her name).

The departure of Ronnie is really moving souls...

Comment

http://www.gigwise.com/news/56382/Sl...nnie-James-Dio
          Slipknot's Corey Taylor told MTV that the music world had lost “a real talent and a genuinely great man”.

"Words cannot describe my sadness and music will never be the same without his voice and honesty,” Taylor added.

“He will always be an icon to heavy metal and hard rock.”

Slayer guitarist Kerry King, who saw Dio a month ago, said he was “lucky” to have known the singer, adding: “He will be hugely missed.”

In a statement, Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian described Dio as “the nicest man in metal”.
          http://www.gigwise.com/news/56367/KI...nnie-James-Dio
          In a statement, KISS said: "In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him.”

They added: “We will miss him."

Motley Crue’s bassist Nikki Sixx, who befriended Dio during a European tour, said in a message on Twitter that the musician had “inspired millions of us”.

He later told CNN: "Those of us that had the opportunity to know Ronnie can tell you what a wonderful and passionate man he was.”
          >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
          SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
          YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
          YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Sad, sad day. Will share some thoughts in the other thread. Some more tributes for now:

http://www.metalunderground.com/news...m?newsid=55933

Exodus' Gary Holt - "What more can be said about Ronnie that hasn't been said by so many others. He was the kindest, most humble metal god I've ever had the pleasure and honor of touring with. I first met him at Foundations forum, about two to three weeks before our tour with them during the Dehumanizer tour, for about ten minutes while he waited outside for his cab. I introduced myself, said it was an all time honor to meet and tour with him and said see you soon. Fast forward to the first day of the tour, and he sees me and says "How are you doing Gary?". I would not have been offended if he never knew my name the whole tour, but he remembered it from a ten minute chat around three weeks earlier. We had many golden moments hanging out with him, while he allowed me to relentlessly badger him for stories about Ritchie Blackmore and the time spent singing for my favorite band, Rainbow. R.I.P., your impact on me won't ever be forgotten."

Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy (pictured at left with Ronnie) - "RIP Ronnie James Dio... one of the greatest of all time. Looks like Dime ('Dimebag' Darrell Abbott]), Randy (Rhoads), Cliff (Burton) and Bonzo (John Bonham) just scored the ultimate singer... this is one of the saddest days in metal ever."

Obituary - "Obituary would just like to say what a huge influence Dio was to this band and to the face of metal! He was one of the good guys in music and will be greatly missed! We had the opportunity, only once, to actually talk with Dio. He came up to us and I was amazed that he even knew who Obituary were! In that one, short converstion it was clear what a kind person he was. We no longer have Dio here with us, but we will have his music forever in our souls!"

Wolf - "We are very sad this day. We have lost THE greatest, most powerful and biggest voices in hard rock & metal. For Wolf, Ronnie James Dio, was/is a great inspiration and we will always keep his voice alive listening to his music. Some of us met him on several occations and he was always very nice and took the time to chat about music and the world. You will be sadly missed. May your music live on and on forever."

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

From Megadeth's Shawn Drover:

http://www.megadeth.com/home_popup.php?news_id=1461

May 16, 2010 - REST IN PEACE RONNIE JAMES DIO

I am at an absolute loss right now upon hearing that Ronnie has passed away. I had the pleasure of touring both Canada and America in 2007 when Megadeth toured with "Heaven and Hell" (Black Sabbath in my eyes) and I swear to you he is 1 of the nicest human beings I have ever met, period. Many a night on that tour, Glen and myself would have amazing conversation's with Ronnie about his career, etc. fully knowing he had probably told these stories 10,000 times to people and yet he answered every question I had with a big smile. I can recall so many times making eye contact with Glen sharing the exact same thought - "Dude, I can't believe we are hanging with RONNIE JAMES DIO!!!!!" If you are lucky enough in your lifetime to actually meet 1 of your idols (let alone tour with them) and they turn out to be even nicer than you could have envisioned, that is something you would truly treasure. Lucky for me, I will cherish those memories forever...................
            And Dave Ellefson:

http://www.megadeth.com/home_popup.php?news_id=1462

May 16, 2010 - LONG LIVE RONNIE JAMES DIO

Of course our bright beam from the tour's glow was dimmed today when we learned of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. He was truly one of the 'good guys' in this business and a consummate pro, someone we can all take a que and learn from. We are all fans of his and he did many great things for Megadeth and its members, starting starting as far back as his "Dream Evil" North American tour in which we were the support band during the "So Far, So Good...So What" tour.

Our prayers go out to him and his family at this time.

Comment

From Mike Portnoy (drummer of Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Expierment + filling in on the new Avenged Sevenfold album and tour)

RIP Ronnie James Dio...one of the greatest of all time

Comment

More words from Ozzy:

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. Metal has truly lost one of its greatest voices. My heart goes out to his family and to his many fans.

Love and respect.
                source

Comment

Holy Fucking shit. this is unreal. I remember seeing heaven and hell (black sabbath) at the bell center on the reunion tour and crying when everyone was chanting the heaven and hell riff,i didnt know that would be the first and last time i would ever witness legends of the heavy metal genre. I fucking miss you Dio,WE ROCK!
                  R.I.P. Ronald Padavona,Ronnie James Dio,DIO,Legend.

Comment

More coming...from Lizzy Borden:

http://www.metalunderground.com/news...m?newsid=55960

Los Angeles act Lizzy Borden has checked in with the following remembrance of Ronnie James Dio, who passed away due to stomach cancer:

"So sorry to hear about Ronnie James Dio…We played some festivals with Dio over the years and at everyone my band and I would always be in the audience after our show watching the master at work, and he was always perfect… One of my great memories of Ronnie was the first night we ever got played on the radio; it was at a Dio show. He was playing 2 shows in one night and we were out in the parking lot waiting for the 2nd show to start along with a few thousand others, and then bam! Our song came blasting on the radio out of every car in the lot. It was a night I will never forget and the Dio show that followed was magical!

"I’ve seen Ronnie perform many times and ‘em grateful that I had the opportunity to be on the side of the stage at the last Heaven and hell show in CA. Ronnie’s voice was so loud, so powerful and pitch perfect, it was truly an amazing thing to witness. We recorded our version of 'long live rock and roll' way back on our first ep and we still close our show with it most nights… There will never be another like him; Ronnie was a master of his trade, a true original and every time I flash those horns, (which is a lot) I will be thinking of the Man on the silver mountain, Ronnie James Dio."
                    And King Diamond...

http://www.metalunderground.com/news...m?newsid=55961

King Diamond has checked in with the following thoughts about the recent departure of famous metal musician Ronnie James Dio:

"It’s with a heavy heart that I pay my respects to Ronnie James Dio. What an amazing singer and entertainer. Throughout my career, he has always been in my top 10 list of vocalists. The mystery and emotion in his vocal style always lured me in for more. Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure to meet him in person, but fortunately I did have the extreme pleasure of experiencing his uncanny frontmanship in concert so many times I can’t even count it.

"I saw him with ELF, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and almost had one of my wishes fulfilled when Heaven and Hell asked King Diamond to go on tour with them in the USA last year. Unfortunately my back problems prevented that dream from coming true. I always had the highest respect for him and he will forever have his music playing in my home. My deepest sympathy goes out to Ronnie’s family. I WISH YOU A SAFE JOURNEY TO THE OTHER SIDE."

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

From Bob Daisley's site:

Today, with the sad passing of my friend and colleague, the world has lost a great man. Not only was he a unique singer, musician and writer, he was a very special human being. Long live Rock ‘n’ Roll and long live the memory of the great Ronnie James Dio. He’ll be sadly missed in many ways, bless him.

Comment

Originally posted by necrospasms View Post
                      More words from Ozzy:

source
                      I think that was very classy of Ozzy.

On the other hand, I was a little... underwhelmed by what Ritchie Blackmore had to say.

On another note, New Yorkers will recognize Fingers (from the old "Fingers Metal Shop"). He had some nice things to say about Dio this afternoon on WBAB.

Comment

"Ozzy looks solemn following Ronnie James Dio`s death
                        Ozzy Osbourne shopped solemnly for clothes just hours after learning of rocker Ronnie James Dio’s death.

Osbourne, Dio’s Black Sabbath predecessor, was stony faced as he accompanied wife Sharon to the Malibu Country Mart in California.

Dressed in his trademark black clothes and sunglasses, the British singer carried bags of shopping from the James Perse boutique. Sharon, also in black, followed behind.

“Ozzy did not seem himself at all,” one eyewitness said.

“He was walking in and out of the shop, clearly agitated. Sharon was really having to look after him and lead him around.

“He didn’t smile once. It was obvious something was wrong.”

Heavy metal legend Dio died yesterday (Sunday), aged 67, after losing his battle with stomach cancer at a hospital in Houston, Texas.

The singer replaced Ozzy in Black Sabbath in 1979.

Ozzy took to his Twitter page to pay tribute to Dio, writing: “Rest in peace Ronnie.” "

i know this has been posted before, but i believe that the way ozzy was acting was of shock, like "bloody hell i thort i would of gone before him" as do i think that too.... i honestly thought that ozzy would of died first..... listening to dio atm, its so hard to not get emotional, even though he was 67 its still a fucking waste..... a fucking waste of such a great talent and man!
                        SDMF - CEMS for life!

Comment

It always is when something like this happens. It doesn't matter when it happens.

Comment

From Biff Byford (Saxon):

Today I heard my friend Ronnie dio has lost his battle, it is a great loss to us all.

I first met Ronnie in the early eighties when we played with Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult, the infamous black and blue tour. I first heard him sing on butterfly ball and from that moment I understood what great singing was all about, he was at the top of his game from then on.

His voice was always powerful and soaring his phrasing was uniquely his, copied by many but never bettered. I will miss him as we all will. The last time we met was in Finland last year, both bands stranded in an airport with flight delays what do you do ,go to the bar get drunk and tell rock and roll stories, he told great stories. Deepest condolences to his family

Somewhere in the night a candle burns for you

To absent friends

Biff byford
                            http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

I await some kind of statement from Jack Black. He's the reason some of us - a small but not insignificant number - are into Dio.
                              "hungry for another bite of wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by TD Fan Tam View Post
                                I await some kind of statement from Jack Black. He's the reason some of us - a small but not insignificant number - are into Dio.
                                He is???

Shit. That's scary!

Comment

Working...
                                X