Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Tributes (Musical World)

RITCHIE BLACKMORE-

On the sad news that Ronnie James Dio passed away May 16th.

Ritchie had this to say : "Ronnie had a unique and wonderful voice. He will be sadly missed in the rock and roll world."- Ritchie Blackmore
    Last edited by Damian; 05-16-2010, 09:04 PM.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

David Coverdale

"[I was] so very sad to hear of Ronnie's passing... My thoughts, prayers and condolence to his family and friends."
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

When was the last time RJD spoke to Blackmore?

Comment

a class act the 2 of them

Comment

Other Tributes (Musical World)

From Glenn Hughes

RONNIE JAMES DIO

It is a very sad day today... I have lost a very dear friend.

Ronnie was a true Leader of Heavy Metal... an Icon and a Visionary... there will never be another like him.

Ronnie gave me wisdom, and showed me great compassion when he was in ELF, all those years ago, when we were on tour together in my time in Deep Purple. He was a beautiful Soul, kind, considerate and a wonderful teacher.

Someday I'll be bringing your Microphone up there with me, and we'll sing a song, and share a Vindaloo together...

I'll miss you mate.

Your Pal,
          Glenn Hughes

And from good friend, DJ Eddie Trunk

16-May-10
          RONNIE JAMES DIO, Rest In Peace
          5/16/10: This is a blog I truly wish I was not writing. My hands are shaking on the keyboard so excuse the typos. I lost a dear friend today, someone who I loved way beyond just the brilliant music he gave the world for decades. Sadly it has been confirmed that Ronnie James Dio has lost his battle with cancer. In my 27 years in the business I have never met anyone like Ronnie. I am fully aware of people that I deal with, and people that deal with me, because it's the business and what we do, but Ronnie was way beyond that. Nobody ever gave me the public show of support and respect back like Ronnie, and our friendship went way beyond the business. I will never forget the first time I did a TV interview with him. I had done years of radio but when I first started as a host at VH1 Classic doing interviews under the show name "Hangin With..." Ronnie was one of the first to come in. I was wrapping up the interview and thanked him for coming by when he stopped me in mid sentence and said, "no, thank you, more artists should be thanking you because your the real deal and you keep us alive". On camera, out of nowhere, early on in my TV career. That was Ronnie James Dio. One of the classiest, most sincere, real people you could ever know. Sometimes it's hard to find nice things to say about people when they pass, not Ronnie, I could go on forever with similar stories and so can anyone else that had the honor to call him friend. I have memories and stories for a lifetime that I will cherish forever, way to many to get into here, especially in my current state as I type this. Video of the last time I saw Ronnie is on the home page of this site. It was at the Golden Gods in L.A. April 8th of this year. I had asked him to be a guest on TMS a few days earlier. Wendy called me the day before this interview and said he was not well and they were headed to the doctor. You could imagine how thrilled I was to see him on the red carpet for the awards the next day. He told me he had a bad reaction to a treatment but was okay. Needless to say I was hoping the same recovery would happen when news came my way early this morning that he was not well. Tragically it didn't. The man fought this as bravely as anyone could as you can see by how he looks and sounds in the clip. Ronnie and I spoke on the phone when he was first diagnosed privately. It was a great conversation. I always knew how he felt about me and after we spoke he knew how I felt about him. I really need to process this, it is a tough one to say the least. Between Rainbow, Dio and Sabbath his voice was consistently the most heard on my radio shows, and that will never change, the music truly will live on forever and I will see to that on my end for sure. To his fellow fans, friends and family I express my deepest sympathy for your loss and I shed the same tears as all of you today. My radio show this Friday night will be entirely dedicated to the music of Dio. I am working to rearrange some things to do the same for my satellite show tomorrow, however both Triumph and Michael Monroe who were schedule already arranged travel specific to be on. If I can reschedule I will, and tomorrow will be all Dio as well. If not I will still dedicate as much of the show as I can do RJD around the interviews. Either way we will celebrate his music and memory, for the next week or so, and for as long as I do what I do. We have lost a legend. A brilliant musician but way beyond that, and more importantly, one of the classiiest nicest people you could ever hope to know. Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed, but know I and so many more you touched will be sure you are never forgotten through your music and love and friendship you gave us all.

Comment

From Lars Ulrich -

Dear Ronnie, I just got off stage in Zagreb. I was met with the news that you've passed on. I'm kind of in shock, but I wanted you to know that you were one of the main reasons I made it onto that stage to begin with. When I first saw you in Elf, opening for Deep Purple in 1975, I was completely blown away by the power in your voice, your presence on stage, your confidence, and the ease with which you seemed to connect to 6000 Danish people and one starry-eyed 11 year old, most of whom were not familiar with Elf's music. The following year, I was so psyched when I heard the results of you joining forces with my favorite guitar player. You guys sounded so right for each other and I instantly became Rainbow's #1 fan in Denmark. In the fall of 1976, when you played your first show in Copenhagen, I was literally in the front row and the couple of times we made eye contact you made me feel like the most important person in the world. The news that you guys were staying in town on your day off somehow embedded itself in my brain and I made the pilgrimage to the Plaza Hotel to see if I could somehow grab a picture, an autograph, a moment, anything. A few hours later you came out and were so kind and caring... pictures, autographs and a couple minutes of casual banter. I was on top of the world, inspired and ready for anything. Rainbow came to Copenhagen a couple more times over the next few years and each time you guys blew my mind, and for a good three years were my absolute favorite band on this planet. Over the years I've been fortunate enough to run into you a half dozen times or so and each time you were as kind, caring and gracious as you were in 1976 outside the hotel. When we finally got a chance to play together in Austria in 2007, even though I may not have let on, I was literally transformed back to that little snot nosed kid who you met and inspired 31 years earlier and it was such a fucking honor and a dream come true to share a stage with you and the rest of the legends in Heaven and Hell. A couple of weeks ago when I heard that you were not going to be able to make it to the Sonisphere shows that we would be sharing this June, I wanted to call you and let you know that I was thinking of you and wish you well, but I kind of pussied out, thinking the last thing you needed in your recovery was feeling obligated to take a phone call from a Danish drummer/fan boy. I wish I'd made that call. We will miss you immensely on the dates, and we will be thinking of you with great admiration and affection during that run. It seemed so right to have you out on tour with the so-called “Big Four” since you obviously were one of the main reasons that the four bands even exist. Your ears will definitely be burning during those two weeks because all of us will be talking, reminiscing and sharing stories about how knowing you has made our lives that much better.
            Ronnie, your voice impacted and empowered me, your music inspired and influenced me, and your kindness touched and moved me. Thank you.
            Much love,
            Lars
            The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Ozzy

Nice to see Ozzy posting the following on his Twitter page

Rest in Peace Ronnie

Simple. Classy. Nice.

Comment

From SLASH's Facebook

Ronnie died at 7:45am this morning, but his music will live for eternity. \m/

RIP Ronnie James Dio, one of the best Heavy Metal singers of all time.

And Tom Morello from RATM? Audioslave has been Tweeting all day...

Rip Ronnie James Dio. One of rock's greatest singers. Cranking Mob Rules in his memory. Thanks Ronnie for rocking me like crazy.

CRANKING Dio in his memory. Neon Knights/Sign of Southern Cross/Mob Rules/Heaven n Hell/Holy Diver/King of Rock n Roll/Man on Silver Mountn

Fave Dio quote on his diminutive height: "It's not the size of the pencil, it's how big you write your name."

Lots of respect from the rock world.
                Last edited by devilmaycare; 05-16-2010, 08:45 PM.

Comment

RE: OZZY--Biting my tongue. Lots to say about it, but another day.

edit--PLEASE do not post about this. By biting my tongue it may seem like I'm starting a debate, but I'm not. If my comment makes you want to weigh in, please DONT. This thread is now for us to share tributes that those in the music industry make, and Ozzy's is one of them. If you have a negative thought to share, please hold it for another time.

Thanks,
                  D.
                  Last edited by Damian; 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM.
                  Damian
                  Super Moderator
                  Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

Concur with Damian.
                    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

Kiss

REMEMBERING RONNIE JAMES DIO

We mourn the tragic passing of the great Ronnie James Dio. In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him. We will miss him.

Comment

From GIRLSCHOOL

ON BEHALF OF ALL OF GIRLSCHOOL, R.I.P. RONNIE JAMES DIO, YOU WERE A TRUE ROCK AND ROLL LEGEND, YOU WILL BE SORELY MISSED, OUR HEART GOES OUT TO RONNIE AND WENDY'S FAMILY AND FRIENDS AT THIS SAD TIME xxxx

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

And from his friends in JUDAS PRIEST

We are filled with great sadness at the terrible news about our friend Ronnie James Dio - our condolences and love go to Wendy and Ronnie's family - Ronnie was a wonderful man and will be sorely missed.

ROB, GLENN, K.K., IAN & SCOTT
                        16th May, 2010

Comment

Girlschool, I believe were one of the support bands for Dio's first Black Sabbath UK tour back in 1980.

I wonder if he's going to be jamming with Kelly Johnson.
                          He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Geezer Butler:

"GOODBYE MY DEAR FRIEND"

Comment

Originally posted by Mats GBG View Post
                              Geezer Butler:

"GOODBYE MY DEAR FRIEND"
                              Awww, that really sucks. It's bad enough that Ronnie's gone, but my man Geezer's pain makes it all the worse. Many people with good taste suffer mightily now.

Comment

Working...
                              X