Greatest legacy of Ronnie James Dio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest legacy of Ronnie James Dio?

I'm posting a poll about what you believe will be the greatest legacy of RJD? In other words, what will he will be remembered the most for?

I will remember Ronnie James Dio the most for his contribution to Black Sabbath. H&H, The Mob Rules, Live Evil and Dehumaniser will remain for me the pinnacles of his achievement. Rainbow's Rising album is equal IMO to the greatest he did in Sabbath, but that was only one great album compared to a number of great albums in Sabbath. I never really got into Dio solo in a big way. I have the best of Dio and I enjoy it, but that's about all I felt the need to explore his solo career. I've already posted my thoughts on TDYK which represents the first new music for Heaven and Hell. For me, his greatest legacy was in Black Sabbath proper, second only to Rainbow.

I'm especially grateful to RJD for plucking Sabbath out of potential obscurity during their decline in the late 70's. The Born Again album initially accrued large commerical success because of the novelty of Ian Gillan. But soon fell into disrepute. And although I loved the Tony Martin era, Sabbath continued to decline slowly. RJD was the only one to take Sabbath and make it a genuine rival for the Ozzy era. For that, there is a special place in my affections for Ronnie James Dio. He created magical rock that rivalled the finest music of the Ozzy era Sabbath. Only RJD could rival the Ozzy Sabbath era for both commerical success and critical acclaim. And he gave Sabbath a decent live album-regardless of what anyone says. Something that did not happen with the Ozzy era until the Reunion album.

I've also included in this poll an easy answer of "His overall contribution to music during his career" for those that can't pick between his involvement in Rainbow, Sabbath, Dio solo and Heaven and Hell. In other words, for those that genuinely loved all his music of these bands equally.
    Rainbow
    3.48%
    Black Sabbath
    18.26%
    Dio solo
    1.74%
    Heaven and Hell
    3.48%
    His overall contribution to music during his career
    72.17%
    Other (please specify)
    0.87%
    Last edited by WheelsOfConfusion; 05-17-2010, 04:51 AM.

Had to vote Heaven and Hell. His legacy lives on in this album, and, no matter what any of the Ozzy elitists may say here, It was better then most other Sabbath albums, and an amazing album to leave us with.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

I voted for just his overall contribution and everything he did during his career. It's hard for me to pinpoint the greatest legacy, so many things he did were just so great. If I really was pressed on it, I would choose his tenure in Black Sabbath.
      If the magic comes between us
      And we never meet again
      Take a part of me away
      'Cause maybe it's all above love
      ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Comment

He did his best work with Black Sabbath but the Rainbow years is where most of his fans first were introduced to him. During the solo years he met many of the fans after the show at all the clubs he played at. Everone in Metal always said great things about him, his music and the influence he had on them.

Comment

I picked Black Sabbath but I didn't immediately see the "His overall contribution to music during his career" option which is what I should have picked
          http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

His over all contribution was so great, greater than any other person in metal..no one ever even come close to him.

Comment

His over all contributions.. certainly a worthy HOF'er.
              "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
              R. Blackmore

Comment

I choose his overall contribution, as he has left quite a mark on hard rock and heavy metal. I also feel Ronnie's best work was in Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell.
                "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

I voted 'Other' to be more soecific on his contributions!

Which are of course his 'Voice' and the 'Devil Horns'!!!!

The proof of this is just to mention Dio and some one will undoubtedly give you the 'devil horns' in honor!

RIP

Comment

I think he generated his best work with Tony but his overall contribution will, and should be, his legacy.

Comment

I will pinpoint it even further: I will say Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell.

Comment

He will be a cultural icon forever. I voted overall contribution...

Comment

His overall contribution to music during his career.
                          The man breathed music.

Comment

I had to throw one vote in for Rainbow.
                            I thought Ritchie Blackmore was insane leaving Deep Purple.
                            Little did I know that he had Ronnie's superb voice as his ace in the hole for his Solo group.
                            It's interesting that two members of the "Rising" crew played with Black Sabbath.
                            In my opinion, Cozy Powell did some of his best work for Tony.
                            It's a shame Cozy and Ronnie never appeared together on a Sabbath album.
                            And now, with both of them gone Blackmore might as well spend the rest of his life playing the strange midevil stuff he's been doing.
                            A Rainbow reunion without Ronnie would be pointless.

BTW - I was in the Philadelphia audience for the Heaven and Hell tour. It was great and since the last Sabbath concert (before that) featured Ozzy so wasted he seemed to be speaking in tongues, Dio was a BIG improvement. For some reason, Ozzy fanatics forget that Ozzy was screwing up badly (and he really did have to go).

Comment

I voted overall contribution. All his studio output from Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and up to Last In Line was so good that I find it hard to single out one band and say THIS was his best.
                              http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Working...
                              X