Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

What Dio-esque song are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Dio-esque song are you listening to now?

I think this deserves a thread of its own, in honor of Ronnie James Dio. Let's post here the Dio-esque song we are listening to at any given moment of time. Also, as will be apparent on my behalf, everyone can post some of their recent & shortly upcoming Dio-esque listening experiences. All commentary welcomed.

So...let's hear it:

Rainbow - Gates Of Babylon

One of the quintessential songs with Dio's voice and, thus, one of the most important songs in the lines of Rainbow and in my whole heavy rock & metal world. This song paints an immediate & powerful scenery in my mind, taking me across the ages into the land of eternal sand and wind, on an intricate flying carpet made of Dean The Dragon's fallen scales, soaring above the endless desert...

A powerful piece of art indeed, this song is one of the cornerstones & one of the most immediately recognizable mega-classics. Fortunately I had the priviledge of hearing Dio himself perform this song 3 times during 2004 - 2005. It was a real pleasure & blessing to be there. For me, this song is the beginning of all orientally-influenced heavy metal, without this song e.g. Y.J. Malmsteen's, Axel Rudi Pell's and Iron Maiden's discographies would be lesser in terms of orientally influenced epics...This song is the Heaven And Hell of Rainbow, just like Heaven And Hell is the Gates Of Babylon of Black Sabbath, so profound & perennial is the effect if this song.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore, as a part of my healing process and in honor of Dio, I made a powerful Dio-esque classics set for my pleasure, a real reminder of who is the king of rock & metal and why:

Rainbow
    - Man On The Silver Mountain
    - Catch The Rainbow
    - Snake Charmer
    - Temple Of The King
    - 16th Century Greensleeves
    - Tarot Woman
    - Run With The Wolf
    - Stargazer
    - A Light In The Black
    - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
    - Gates Of Babylon
    - Kill The King

Black Sabbath
    - Children Of The Sea
    - Lady Evil
    - Heaven And Hell
    - Die Young
    - Lonely Is The Word
    - Voodoo
    - The Sign Of The Southern Cross
    - The Mob Rules
    - Country Girl
    - Falling Off The Edge Of The World
    - Time Machine
    - I

Dio
    - Holy Diver
    - Don't Talk To Strangers
    - The Last In Line
    - Egypt (The Chains Are On)
    - Sacred Heart
    - Rock 'n' Roll Children
    - All The Fools Sailed Away
    - I Could Have Been A Dreamer
    - Why Are They Watching Me
    - My Eyes
    - Strange Highways
    - Hollywood Black

Make no mistake: NO OTHER rock & metal artist than Dio can produce a 3-band classic set like this!
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
    I think this deserves a thread of its own, in honor of Ronnie James Dio. Let's post here the Dio-esque song we are listening to at any given moment of time. Also, as will be apparent on my behalf, everyone can post some of their recent & shortly upcoming Dio-esque listening experiences. All commentary welcomed.

So...let's hear it:

Rainbow - Gates Of Babylon

One of the quintessential songs with Dio's voice and, thus, one of the most important songs in the lines of Rainbow and in my whole heavy rock & metal world. This song paints an immediate & powerful scenery in my mind, taking me across the ages into the land of eternal sand and wind, on an intricate flying carpet made of Dean The Dragon's fallen scales, soaring above the endless desert...

A powerful piece of art indeed, this song is one of the cornerstones & one of the most immediately recognizable mega-classics. Fortunately I had the priviledge of hearing Dio himself perform this song 3 times during 2004 - 2005. It was a real pleasure & blessing to be there. For me, this song is the beginning of all orientally-influenced heavy metal, without this song e.g. Y.J. Malmsteen's, Axel Rudi Pell's and Iron Maiden's discographies would be lesser in terms of orientally influenced epics...This song is the Heaven And Hell of Rainbow, just like Heaven And Hell is the Gates Of Babylon of Black Sabbath, so profound & perennial is the effect if this song.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore, as a part of my healing process and in honor of Dio, I made a powerful Dio-esque classics set for my pleasure, a real reminder of who is the king of rock & metal and why:

Rainbow
    - Man On The Silver Mountain
    - Catch The Rainbow
    - Snake Charmer
    - Temple Of The King
    - 16th Century Greensleeves
    - Tarot Woman
    - Run With The Wolf
    - Stargazer
    - A Light In The Black
    - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
    - Gates Of Babylon
    - Kill The King

Black Sabbath
    - Children Of The Sea
    - Lady Evil
    - Heaven And Hell
    - Die Young
    - Lonely Is The Word
    - Voodoo
    - The Sign Of The Southern Cross
    - The Mob Rules
    - Country Girl
    - Falling Off The Edge Of The World
    - Time Machine
    - I

Dio
    - Holy Diver
    - Don't Talk To Strangers
    - The Last In Line
    - Egypt (The Chains Are On)
    - Sacred Heart
    - Rock 'n' Roll Children
    - All The Fools Sailed Away
    - I Could Have Been A Dreamer
    - Why Are They Watching Me
    - My Eyes
    - Strange Highways
    - Hollywood Black

Make no mistake: NO OTHER rock & metal artist than Dio can produce a 3-band classic set like this!

I'm currently listening to a setlist that includes, Hungry for Heaven, Better in the Dark, Push, One More For the Road, Shivers, Bible Black, Too Late, Golden Rules, and Along Came a Spider.

Comment

I too have been listening to Dio all day, everyday since hearing the sad news. I put together a "dream" Dio concert set list and have been listening to it at work today.

E5150/Mob Rules
      The Last in Line
      All The Fools Sailed Away
      Man On The Silver Mountain
      Rainbow In The Dark
      The Sign of The Southern Cross
      Holy Diver
      Kill The King
      Push
      Bible Black
      Rock N' Roll Children
      Stargazer
      One More for The ROad
      Children of the Sea
      Long Live Rock n' Roll
      Fever Dreams
      Follow The Tears
      Killing the Dragon
      Master of the Moon
      Fear
      Master of Insanity
      Hoochie Koochie Lady
      Electra
      Computer God
      We Rock
      This is your life

ENCORES
      Heaven and Hell
      Breaking Into Heaven
      Magica(Reprise)/Lord of the last Day(reprise)
      Last edited by H&H; 05-20-2010, 09:51 AM.
      "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

I've always been a Stargazer...

...a lone watcher of the eternal sky...Dio made one of the perfect songs for me, a song that I was destined to take as my own...

Comment

Why no love for Master of The Moon ???

imo /

The Eyes
          Living A Lie
          Death By Love
          In Dreams
          Shivers

are absolute killer tracks and are in my rotation daily

Comment

Originally posted by geezerbutler View Post

imo /

The Eyes
            Living A Lie
            Death By Love
            In Dreams
            Shivers

Just a list I put together yesterday. I had a couple more that I was listening too as well. Both of them included Shivers.
            "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

imo /

The Eyes
              Living A Lie
              Death By Love
              In Dreams
              Shivers

I like Master of the Moon. Some of the demo tracks from MotM that appeared awhile ago sounds pretty damn good too. I saw Dio on the Master of the Moon tour. I managed to record three songs, "Gates of Babylon," "The Eyes," and "One More For The Road." I'm working on getting the two Master of the Moon songs up, but I've got "Gates of Babylon" listenable on YouTube now:

Gates of Babylon, Live 2004

Comment

I haven't been playing anything else but Dio all week when ever I get the chance.

Went through the albums Holy Diver, The Last In Line, Sacred Heart and now Intermission is playing, song is Rainbow In The Dark...

I'll be going through the Dio catalogue then Rainbow and then Sabbath.

Comment

I just caught Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me, Baroness, and Valient Thorr last night in concert. It's maybe the second time that I actually enjoyed the entire show (first time = Iron Maiden, Dio, and Motorhead, but that's to be expected.) Mastodon is my second fav band at the moment, they played Crack the Skye in its entirety, and needless to stress I loved it.

Why am I posting all of this in this thread? Because despite having one of my most memorable nights last night, today I have HOLY DIVER stuck on repeat in my brain!

Comment

Mob Rules album non-stop in my car - my favourite Dio performance of all time.

I've been looking at loads of old Ronnie & The Prophets and other early stuff on YouTube, all with a genuine smile of appreciation, what an absolute genuine LEGEND he is - for some reason it just seemed right to return to some of this material.

I don't need wings to reach the sky
                    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...
                    ~~~ Coroner ~~~

Comment

Rainbow Eyes

It's almost unbearable now, this song is just so beautiful...shows the delicate high-end of Dio's voice.

Comment

As I said in the main thread in the RIP forum, since I first learned the news, I have been listening to all of my Dio-fronted albums from beginning to end (sometimes more than once) in chronological order.

Currently, I just finished "Inferno - Last in Live" and am moving on to "Magica."

Comment

I've been listening to Ronnie James' work all week long: in the morning before school, on school etc. etc. On saturday from 22 p.m to midnight I will listen to the finnish station Radio Rock and their two hour show "In memoriam Ronnie James Dio". It was aired originally on tuesday.

But lately, even before Dios passing, I've been listening a lot to the Dio song This Is Your Life (from Angry Machines 1996) , which I "discovered" during the spring. Only pure ballad of Dio, and extremely beautiful one. I also posted the aforementioned song to my Facebook profile after hearing the sad news. Means a lot more to me now than it did before...
                          "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                          "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                          "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

imo /

The Eyes
                            Living A Lie
                            Death By Love
                            In Dreams
                            Shivers

Just wait for it until I get there too...there's much, very much love for the final Dio album! Many great songs on that one. I remember my very first Dio concert back in 2004, Dio performed the super-heavy song "The Eyes", it was my first-ever experience of that song...it rocked big-time. I purchased the album not long after the show.

Dio has so many great albums and songs, it's a caleidoscope of excellence.

Comment

For me I have been listening mainly to the first Rainbow album. Just starts off with the greatest song of all time, in my opinion, Man On The Silver Mountain. I can listen to that over and over. I also love Black Sheep of the Family.

When I am not listening to that one I always go back to Heaven and Hell.
                              "Dumb Ass" Red Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

Working...
                              X