Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

What Dio-esque song are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Diver.

On a later note: Dio went to Heaven, maybe if there is one, but I know for sure he would reign and rule in the Brütal Legend world. Long Live Rock N' Roll.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

I am listening to the Black Night Mediation 5 hour Dio tribute, while counting down to 5PM

http://www.blacknightmeditations.com/

Rest in peace Ronnie!
      We love you!

Milan

Comment

I took the easy way out and stuck all of the Dio albums plus Live Evil onto an mp3 disc and stuck it on random play in my works van.

Comment

Now I got up to Lock Up The Wolves and the song is called Hey Angel...

This has always been my least favourite Dio album, but it has some gems in it as well, and it seems that Hey Angel is yet again one of those songs that has a whole different meaning now after Ronnie became a Rock 'n Roll Angel...

How Do You Feel Right Now? Is a pretty damn good question....And I have come to the realisation that I never really understood just how much Ronnie really meant to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
            Now I got up to Lock Up The Wolves and the song is called Hey Angel...

This has always been my least favourite Dio album, but it has some gems in it as well, and it seems that Hey Angel is yet again one of those songs that has a whole different meaning now after Ronnie became a Rock 'n Roll Angel...

How Do You Feel Right Now? Is a pretty damn good question....And I have come to the realisation that I never really understood just how much Ronnie really meant to me...
            This is one of those albums you've gotta be in a certian mood for in order to enjoy it. You're right though it does have some gems though like Wild One, Hey Angel, Between Two Hearts, Night Music, My Eyes and the title track. "My Eyes" is another song that takes on a new meaning as well now.

I was just listening to my favorite Dio solo track earlier, "All The Fools Sailed Away". It's such a beautiful song with some fantastic lyrics.
            Nobody will ever let you know
            When you ask the reason why
            They just tell you that you're on your own
            Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Indeed Sabbathfan78 you are right. My Eyes just became another favourite of mine off the album.

Now I went on to Strange Highways...just started actually with the awesome Jesus, Mary & The Holy Ghost, another one of my all time favourite Dio tunes. Tracy G's very unique playing style, the brilliant lyrics and the power in Ronnie's voice all make this a classic.

The whole album is an absolute masterpiece...There isn't a single bad song on the album, but a heck of a load of masterpieces...Jesus, the title track, Hollywood Black, Evilution, Give Her The Gun and the anthem-like Here's To You!

Well Here's To You Ronnie! UP!

Comment

Wonerworld rules forever...

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                Wonderworld
                Ronnie should be regarded as THE definitive voice of Heavy Metal, but Wonderworld will be my forever Fav from Ronnie James Dio.

If you took Wonderworld & Blanche (Elf), Black Sheep of the Family (Rainbow) and I (Black Sabbath)- put them in a blender- they make up who I am. I am SOOOOOOOOO hoping there are unfinished demo's out there so we can hear more music from this legend.

Peace be to the friends and family of Ronnie James Dio.
                The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
                The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
                As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
                We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
                  I think this deserves a thread of its own, in honor of Ronnie James Dio. Let's post here the Dio-esque song we are listening to at any given moment of time. Also, as will be apparent on my behalf, everyone can post some of their recent & shortly upcoming Dio-esque listening experiences. All commentary welcomed.

So...let's hear it:

Rainbow - Gates Of Babylon

One of the quintessential songs with Dio's voice and, thus, one of the most important songs in the lines of Rainbow and in my whole heavy rock & metal world. This song paints an immediate & powerful scenery in my mind, taking me across the ages into the land of eternal sand and wind, on an intricate flying carpet made of Dean The Dragon's fallen scales, soaring above the endless desert...

A powerful piece of art indeed, this song is one of the cornerstones & one of the most immediately recognizable mega-classics. Fortunately I had the priviledge of hearing Dio himself perform this song 3 times during 2004 - 2005. It was a real pleasure & blessing to be there. For me, this song is the beginning of all orientally-influenced heavy metal, without this song e.g. Y.J. Malmsteen's, Axel Rudi Pell's and Iron Maiden's discographies would be lesser in terms of orientally influenced epics...This song is the Heaven And Hell of Rainbow, just like Heaven And Hell is the Gates Of Babylon of Black Sabbath, so profound & perennial is the effect if this song.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore, as a part of my healing process and in honor of Dio, I made a powerful Dio-esque classics set for my pleasure, a real reminder of who is the king of rock & metal and why:

Rainbow
                  - Man On The Silver Mountain
                  - Catch The Rainbow
                  - Snake Charmer
                  - Temple Of The King
                  - 16th Century Greensleeves
                  - Tarot Woman
                  - Run With The Wolf
                  - Stargazer
                  - A Light In The Black
                  - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
                  - Gates Of Babylon
                  - Kill The King

Black Sabbath
                  - Children Of The Sea
                  - Lady Evil
                  - Heaven And Hell
                  - Die Young
                  - Lonely Is The Word
                  - Voodoo
                  - The Sign Of The Southern Cross
                  - The Mob Rules
                  - Country Girl
                  - Falling Off The Edge Of The World
                  - Time Machine
                  - I

Dio
                  - Holy Diver
                  - Don't Talk To Strangers
                  - The Last In Line
                  - Egypt (The Chains Are On)
                  - Sacred Heart
                  - Rock 'n' Roll Children
                  - All The Fools Sailed Away
                  - I Could Have Been A Dreamer
                  - Why Are They Watching Me
                  - My Eyes
                  - Strange Highways
                  - Hollywood Black

Make no mistake: NO OTHER rock & metal artist than Dio can produce a 3-band classic set like this!
                  if you added his stuff from Elf you'd actually make 4.

I personally think that they should release a huge box set of his entire career for his birthday next year that has everything from his earliest recording with The Prophets, then Elf, then Rainbow, then Sabbath, then Dio, then Heaven and Hell. Have a bonus disc with all the covers like Dream On, Welcome to My Nightmare, that Dio did for tribute albums and even his guest appearances IE I Spy off of Girlschool's last album. That would be enormously epic.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

and to add to my last post, they should sell that box set for around $200 and send most of the proceeds to Dio's 'Stand Up and Shout' Cancer Fund.
                  "I don't care which god you follow, whose promises you swallow" - Ronnie James Dio
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/breakingintoheaven?#!
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaki...916616&ref=sgm

Comment

Yeah, this was just one set among the many that I've made during the years, including 3 of my old favourite bands that have the one and same singer...it's unbelievable.

Hey, now listening to the very nice song from Elf...

When She Smiles

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

The masterpiece "Wonderworld"...oh God, it's almost too much, the vocals are pure brilliance...
                    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Here's something intresting I did on my iPOD a few months ago. I was trying to make a Dio playlist but I realized with so many great songs it was going to be rediculously long and I might have a hard time getting through it all in one sitting. So what I did was I made a seperate playlist for every solo studio album he toured for. It's kind of like a fantasy setlist for each one of his tours and it captures that particular part of his career very well. Therefore the playlists aren't extremely long and all the great songs he's recorded get their proper due doing it this way. Now that he's passed away it's actually a little more special to me that I decided to do that.
                      Nobody will ever let you know
                      When you ask the reason why
                      They just tell you that you're on your own
                      Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Now its Heaven And Hell - The Sign Of The Southern Cross live in Bournemouth UK, the last date of the 2007 tour.

The Sign is one of the best songs in the entire catalog of Black Sabbath, the riff is just beyond brilliant, and Geezers Bass line is pure perfection....and the lyrics...awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                          Now its Heaven And Hell - The Sign Of The Southern Cross live in Bournemouth UK, the last date of the 2007 tour.

The Sign is one of the best songs in the entire catalog of Black Sabbath, the riff is just beyond brilliant, and Geezers Bass line is pure perfection....and the lyrics...awesome.
                          I was actually listening to SOTSC while reading your post Truly one of Sabbaths best and most epic songs, I have been listening to it quite a lot lately.

Just watched few songs from the Radio City DVD. The version of Lonely is the Word is mindblowing...
                          Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM.
                          "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                          "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                          "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

i just put on the dio years collection and let it play really..
                            plus stargazer, long live rock n roll and holy diver... :(

Comment

It's kinda weird... the evening of 15 May I went to sleep and as I always crash to music I was looking through my playlists on iTunes trying to decide what to crash to that night. I chose a list titled: Rules Of Hell. It's Sabbath/Dio from all four albums and when I awoke the next morning I was greeted w/ Children Of The Sea... not a bad way to wake up.

After waking up though I saw the news about Ronnie. At first it was false, but the outlook wasn't too good. As the day dragged on the word was confirmed that he was gone. Since then I haven't listened to anything Dio related... just a little too much, if you know what I mean.

Finally, today, I am listening to Dio and still just in awe of his gifts. Bible Black and Follow The Tears from TDYK just rock, but now I am listening to Dehumanizer. This album is such a favorite of mine. So many great tracks...

Computer God - After All {The Dead} - Sins Of The Father - Too Late - I - Buried Alive

Coming here and reading everyone's thoughts makes this time a little easier.
                              Let me go I've found addiction
                              And it makes me feel alive...
                              + Take me back +
                              I must have the Bible Black...

Comment

Ah, the sweet bluesy waves...with Dio in my ears I can see the deep blue starlit sky through those bleak clouds of rain...

The Elves - You Shook Me-Rocks Boogie

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-24-2010 at 11:00 PM ----------

Streetwalker, sweet talker...Ronnie James Dio, you've been so good to me...
                                "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Working...
                                X