Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of Rainbow

I just thought of this but this is also the end of Rainbow

Rainbow has been dead for a long time. I assume you mean that Ronnie was that carried on the great Mk I Rainbow, and that with his passing, we will no longer hear it as it was originally intended.

Over the Rainbow is out there making music as "Rainbow," however I feel they are not much more than a glorified tribute band. I know that is harsh, however Ritchie is/was Rainbow. It was his band.

Has anyone seen OTR live? Are they decent? I like all incarnations of Rainbow, however it was the MK I line-up that was the best.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Agreed it was Richie's band, after it all WAS Blackmore's Rainbow.... but I would have preferred Richie to have been playing with Ian Gillan when I saw him a couple years ago, then I would have felt better about him calling it Deep Purple!
      Thanks Ronnie
      Heaven and Hell - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiLtInN8EM
      Die Young - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41NOVVyqS0

Comment

Rainbow's been dead since Dio left them in 1979. Where have you been?
        Nobody will ever let you know
        When you ask the reason why
        They just tell you that you're on your own
        Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Well, of course the only person qualified to sing Dio-era Rainbow songs is no longer with us, so with that said, the Dio-era Rainbow songs, as they should be heard, that is, sung by RJD, have been silenced, at least live, but the band itself, yeah, that was done 30+ years ago. It would have been cool if Ronnie and Ritchie could have collaborated again, but it wasn't to be.

Comment

I always held out a faint glimmer that there would one day be a Rainbow reunion with Ritchie and Ronnie. My head knew it wasn't going to happen, as Ritchie has said he's tired of Rock N Roll and seems happy to do his Blackmore's Night thing.

It's been over, but Ronnie's passing just drives the point home.

Comment

The only way there could be a true Rainbow reformation now would be with one of the Turner lineups, or with Doogie White.

Cozy Powell and Gary Driscoll are both dead, so none of the RJD lineups could reform, even before Ronnie died. Nor could the Graham Bonnet Down To Earth lineup reform, since Cozy played on that album.

I would have much preferred one of the RJD/Bonnet lineups, of course, but I wouldn't mind the Difficult To Cure lineup getting together as a one-off:

Ritchie Blackmore - guitar
              Joe Lynn Turner - vocals
              Roger Glover - bass
              Don Airey - keyboards
              Bobby Rondinelli - drums
              He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Yeah i was more think about any sort of reunion between ritchie and Ronnie either studio or live

Comment

If Ritchie wanted to "reform" Rainbow it would be him & anyone he pleased, & you know what?

IT WOULD STILL BE RAINBOW.

Rainbow became more successful after RJD "left"... in my opinion they released their best albums (Down To Earth & possibly Bent Out Of Shape) after RJD...

Turner & White both sang Dio songs pretty well, though Bonnet lacked the necessary subtlties...

It's Blackmore's band... everyone else was on wages.

As for OTR... Turner still has the pipes... JR Blackmore is workmanlike at best...

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 AM ----------

Originally posted by H&H View Post
                  I like all incarnations of Rainbow, however it was the MK I line-up that was the best.
                  Really? Did they even play live? Most people would go for the Blackmore/ Dio/ Powell/ Bain/ Carey line-up... though to be honest I loved every Rainbow line-up that I ever saw...

Comment

I've never really gotten into Rainbow after Dios departure, with the exceptions of few songs such as Eyes of the World. IMO it is generally poppy, hollow and overly simplistic music without any true feelings, just catchy choruses. The band lost it's core dentity and soul, which were at times achieved in the form of few songs there and there. Bonnet is a great vocalist, White mediocre at best and JLT... well, I don't like my Rainbow with female vocalists

And about Over the Rainbow, I think one thing speaks for itself. A review I once read concerning their gig had one, massive con in it: JLT + Stargazer. Nuff said.

And of the topic: I think that Rainbow, like many of you have already stated, has been dead for a long time. Ritchie could assemble any kind of line-up and It would be Rainbow, but It won't happen.
                    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 05-23-2010, 06:37 AM.
                    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
                    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
                    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
                      JLT + Stargazer. Nuff said.
                      JLT actually manged it better than Bonnet... The vocalist isn't the problem... It's the guitarist!
                      Last edited by devilmaycare; 05-23-2010, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
                        JLT actually manged it better than Bonnet... The vocalist isn't the problem... It's the guitarist!
                        Actually JLT didn't do a bad job singing the other eras of Rainbow when I saw the Straight Between the eyes tour in San Antonio - he sang Long Live Rock N Roll pretty good & did a great job on All Night Long

I always thought the one chance for the Dio/Blackmore Rainbow to reform was in the early 90's when Blackmore had just left Deep Purple & Dio left Sabbath after the Dehumanizer tour - this is what I was hoping for when I heard a rumor that Ritchie was putting together
                        a new Rainbow lineup - instead we got Doogie White & one pretty good CD in Stranger in us all - really hoped they would tour & record more with this lineup but instead we got Blackmore's night which I actually like a lot - Blackmore's night has played a few covers of old Rainbow/Deep Purple numbers & I do like the way Candace sings on them - I know it's not for eveyone but here are some links

16th century Greensleeves - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgTC5LzpzKY

Child in Time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thqnI...eature=related

Street of Dreams - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpaa1EN65Rk
                        At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Comment

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
                          Really? Did they even play live? Most people would go for the Blackmore/ Dio/ Powell/ Bain/ Carey line-up... though to be honest I loved every Rainbow line-up that I ever saw...
                          OK, I big time messed that up. The line up you listed above is the one I was thinking of as MK I, however I mis-spoke, as the original line-up was essentially "Elf" sand Feinstein, and Blackmore on guitar.. So, I should have said to say Mk II.
                          "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

I was happy to find the Rainbow Live In Munich DVD at FYE today. I never bought it (only had the CD version before), so I'll watch it when I feel the time is right. I felt Richie spent too much time on solos on the CD, but now I have a different motivation to watch the DVD.

I prefer Rainbow with Dio, but I like Joe Lynn Turner and Doogie White as well. As others have stated, Rainbow simply became more radio-friendly after Dio's tenure, which isn't a bad thing in itself. I just prfer the Dio material. I tried listening to Blackmore's Night, before but couldn't get into it at the time, though I may try again someday. The older I get, the more open I become.

Comment

To me Rainbow didn't exist anymore after the departure of Ronnie...the songs became more pop songs than hard rock songs...all about love and shit like that...

Never liked Joe Lynn Turners vocals either...I've tried to listen to some of the Over The Rainbow stuff but JLT just does absolutely nothing for me..

Comment

Working...
                              X