Any news from Jimmy Bain? Is he ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news from Jimmy Bain? Is he ok?

I have not heard from Jimmy Bain on the internet at all. Is he okay?

Originally posted by Dr. Tewari View Post
    Maybe this is why (its old though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyHfd21oABQ

Comment

I'd heard a bit about this before, as far as Jimmy complaining about his financial set up with Ronnie. I was wondering if Jimmy was going to make a comment about Ronnie's passing, but I guess there is some bad blood there, much like with Vivian. It's too bad, but this shit is sort of common in the music industry.

Comment

I guess the way to look at it is: How many people have nice things to say about their bosses??
        As an employee it sucks that the boss is making way more money off your hard work.
        $150 doesn't sound like much but in 1983?? and surely that was spending money, food/accommodation/travel were obviously taken care off. Kinda sounds like ex employee taking a pop, but who knows? What were other people getting paid at the same time? Vivian, Jimmy & Vinnie wouldn't have taken a pay cut to join Dio so $150 must've been good or at least fair back then!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellbery View Post
          I guess the way to look at it is: How many people have nice things to say about their bosses??
          As an employee it sucks that the boss is making way more money off your hard work.
          $150 doesn't sound like much but in 1983?? and surely that was spending money, food/accommodation/travel were obviously taken care off. Kinda sounds like ex employee taking a pop, but who knows? What were other people getting paid at the same time? Vivian, Jimmy & Vinnie wouldn't have taken a pay cut to join Dio so $150 must've been good or at least fair back then!!
          It sounded to like Jimmy's complaints were the same as the Bob Daisley/Lee Kerslake complaints about Ozzy. Jimmy expected to be part of a band, not a solo project, yet no one but Ronnie saw money from album sales and merchandise. Instead of cutting members in on the money he just let them go and replaced them with people who, in Jimmy's opinion, were inferior. I think those are valid complaints if you were led to believe you were a part of something and not just a hired gun for a solo act.

Comment

Lets put this into perspective for a moment here.

Accounting for inflation 150.00 a week in 1983 dollars is $350.00 a week in today's economy. Lets consider an average week of writing Holy Diver took roughly 40 - 50 hours a week. A liberal estimate, they were getting paid roughly the U.S. minimum wage (equivalent to McDonalds wages) to cover their personal expenses. That might Fly for a 19 year old Vivian Campbell. But Bain was 36 by that point. Vinny was 32. Kind of a hard pill to swallow after you've toured the world to make $150 a week.

But ok since they had no idea how the HD album was going to do, I'm sure the guys weren't complaining too much. However the promise was made that when they started on Last In Line they were supposed to be equal partners - get a cut from sales, merch, publishing etc. And that never happened as promised. Sure if you're on tour for 9 - 11 months a year you get meals and a place to sleep 150 a week will go far enough. What if you have kids? How do they get what they need?

It was the same exact complaint Vivian spoke about in an interview in 2003. They were told they'd be equal partners (or Co bosses to use your analogy Ellbery) after the 2nd album. Vivian had a baby on the way when he left Dio. He couldn't really afford to stay with Dio.

It's a valid gripe.

Not knowing Dio's side of things, it would be unfair to speculate how much he took home from each album etc. I've known a few members of touring bands over the years. While it may look like theyre on top of the world, it takes a few albums worth of consistent sales to really start paying off and each has to almost do better then the last for you to really start rolling in it. Last in Line, Sacred Heart, Dream Evil all sold less then HD. Also being the boss Wendy had to make sure they had funds to pay for everything else on top of the guys. So in reality perhaps it wasn't lucrative for anyone. Perhaps they couldn't make anyone a partner because the band was having to spend so much money on costuming, stage sets & all the rest of it. That Dragon just didn't just show up for that tour. And nobody bought that FOR Dio. It came out of Dio's touring budget to pay for it & the prototypes that DIDN'T work.
            Last edited by devstorm; 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM.
            The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Tewari View Post
              Jimmy (and Rowan Robertson) played at the after party at the Cat Club:

http://www.rainbowfanclan.com/

(click on the link 02/06 Photos: More Exclusive photos of Ronnie James Dio's Memorial Service and scroll down to the bottom of the page)

Comment

WOW! Jimmy didnt look to well in those photos hopes hes allright

Comment

I wouldn't exactly fit the Daisley/Kerslake analogy here.

Wendy Dio hasn't erased Jimmy Bain's or Vivian Campbell's tracks from the albums they played on.

What Jimmy Bain also seemed to neglect in his YouTube bit is admission that he had a bad drug problem, and that will certainly eat up your money.

Ronnie James Dio pulled Vivian Campbell out of obscurity, and Bain out of semi-obscurity. Campbell was playing in a bar band (Sweet Savage) in Belfast. Bain hadn't done much of anything since Rainbow except for some sessions with Thin Lizzy ("Sarah," on the Black Rose album) and trying to get Wild Horses going with Brian Robertson (great guitar player, but another walking Molotov cocktail, at least at that time). He had a higher profile than any of them and could have picked almost anyone (he almost chose John Sykes), and he almost formed a band with Kerry Livgren (Kansas had just split up). That would have given Dio a triple-threat: a brilliant guitarist, keyboardist and songwriter.

I remember reading an interview with Campbell in one of the many guitar magazines in 1986, not long after he got fired from Dio. He said that basically he got tired of all the knights, armour and other associated imagery...but didn't he know that was Ronnie's modus operandi when he signed up?

Other than the now-infamous YouTube opinion RJD gave about Campbell I never read anything in print where Ronnie ever really slagged Campbell. When Campbell joined Whitesnake Dio said something like "Viv deserves to make good music...but I'm not sure how he'll be able to as Adrian Vandenberg's guitar partner."

Bain is a good bass player to be sure, but I don't think he's the best Dio ever played with...to me he's not on the same level as Bob Daisley, Jeff Pilson and, of course, the Geez. But that's just a personal opinion.

Granted, I don't know much about the inner politics that were happening with Dio (the band). But based on other, similar situations where one person's name is the band name, has there ever really been a full-shares all-are-equal situation?

I'm thinking of Gillan and, of course, Ozzy.
                  He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

DiosSword, I think you're right on with this analysis. The situation really was not comparable to Daisley/Kerslake vs. the Osbournes.

Comment

I could not of said it any better DiosSword. People need to remember that Ronnie him self in the late nineties and early 2000's he himself was playing much smaller places. I have a video of a place in England Ronnie was playing it looked like a club I think it was 2004 wasn't a very nice place. In the video it shows Tony Iommi talking to Ronnie if I am not mistaken (someone correct me) I think this is where Tony Iommi had spoken about getting together again. I think Tony Iommi spoke about this in an interview. Let's face it RJD got another chance to play with Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler again I would rather work with these guys also and take a break from my own band. Since Dio was his band if he wanted to do other projects then why not. Sometimes you need a break from working with the same people.
                      As you walk this path of life may you be greeted with kindness,compassion and happiness!

Comment

My thoughts on this is, if it sucked so bad, why did he stay? Why didn't he look for another opportunity. He was with "Dio" from at least 1983 - 1987 (release wise). Then in 2000 - 2002 he came back and was on the Magica & Killling the Dragon albums. Why come back if it was that bad and the pay sucked?
                        "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                          I wouldn't exactly fit the Daisley/Kerslake analogy here.

Wendy Dio hasn't erased Jimmy Bain's or Vivian Campbell's tracks from the albums they played on.
                          Yet the argument between Lee/Bob & Ozzy stems from the same identical dispute. They were told Blzzard Of Ozz was to be a band, not a solo project which it turned out to be. The tracks on the debut album being erased is all secondary to the cause of the dispute.

What Jimmy Bain also seemed to neglect in his YouTube bit is admission that he had a bad drug problem, and that will certainly eat up your money.
                          Whats that got to do with his complaint? If Bain was promised to be cut in as a partner, and wasn't, the way in which he spends the money he does make, is irrelevant. Unless Ronnie made that partnership conditional to Bains sobriety (Which very well could have been the case). Sure if he had an expensive habit, money would be an issue. But if he was made a promise and it wasn't kept his addictions aren't pertinent.

I remember reading an interview with Campbell in one of the many guitar magazines in 1986, not long after he got fired from Dio. He said that basically he got tired of all the knights, armour and other associated imagery...but didn't he know that was Ronnie's modus operandi when he signed up?
                          He was probably being polite with not disclosing the finances in the band. That would have revealed Jimmy & Vinny's situation, theyt were still in that band at that point. It also divulges Craig Goldy's situation at the time. It's called being discrete... and tactful, if not Vivian covering his own butt. Ronnie could have made Vivian sign a non disclosure contract when he left. But I mean telling the world Ronnie not being able to pay his band members millions of dollars isn't very flattering.

I also remember reading an issue of Guitar for the Practicing musician magazine from this period in time, and I always recalled Vivian stating that he left DIO voluntarily. Not fired.

Granted, I don't know much about the inner politics that were happening with Dio (the band). But based on other, similar situations where one person's name is the band name, has there ever really been a full-shares all-are-equal situation?

I'm thinking of Gillan and, of course, Ozzy.
                          Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Tin Machine (Even though it didn't bear David Bowies name), and that guy ... ..Jethro Tull.

Originally posted by H&H View Post
                          My thoughts on this is, if it sucked so bad, why did he stay? Why didn't he look for another opportunity. He was with "Dio" from at least 1983 - 1987 (release wise). Then in 2000 - 2002 he came back and was on the Magica & Killling the Dragon albums. Why come back if it was that bad and the pay sucked?
                          I wondered the same about Bob Daisley. I suppose at least its a high profile job.
                          Last edited by devstorm; 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM.
                          The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Comment

I'm not sure what Jimmy is so upset about? His name is on numerous songs on Dio's first five albums as co-songwriter alongside Dio. So i'm sure he made some decent money off the album sales just based on that alone. Plus, the band was Dio's baby, it went by his stage name, so did he really think he was gonna be making around the same as Ronnie was?

I'm not gonna act like Ronnie did no wrong here because it's possible he did. But like others said, if it was so bad, why stick around for so long? Also, why on earth would you come back and play with him a second time? I'm gonna make a wild guess here and say that playing with Dio was probably the most money Bain ever made in his career.
                            Nobody will ever let you know
                            When you ask the reason why
                            They just tell you that you're on your own
                            Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbathfan78 View Post
                              I'm not sure what Jimmy is so upset about? His name is on numerous songs on Dio's first five albums as co-songwriter alongside Dio. So i'm sure he made some decent money off the album sales just based on that alone. Plus, the band was Dio's baby, it went by his stage name, so did he really think he was gonna be making around the same as Ronnie was?

Apparently he did think was going to be paid the same as Dio. I believe that he said in that interview that he didn't make money off of the album sales, only the publishing (which means he'd get money when those songs were played on the radio or releases on compilations and live albums). You guys are way too hung up on the name. If Jimmy joined the band with the promise that after 2 albums he'd be an equal member and then, after those first 2 albums, he wasn't given equal status, then he has a right to be mad. It doesn't matter what the band is called.

Comment

Working...
                              X