X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Siegler's Tribute to Ronnie

Check it out.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/20...te_to_dio.html

Includes the video of Heaven & Hell doing "Mob Rules" filmed by Damian at Dio's last gig on August 2009. A direct link to the video on Youtube is available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqMyEalm-JI&fmt=18
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 06-05-2010, 06:42 PM. Reason: typo.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Hallelujah.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

Great write up Joe and a great video.

I'm 31 now, and I got into Sabbath much later than you, around 1997. I didn't know much about the band's history, but I picked up a lot of the early Ozzy era stuff and it rocked my world. One day that summer, I went to the record store and saw "Live Evil". I thought it would be a live album with Ozzy. I put it on and...who was this Dio guy? Gimme a break!

Well it turns out that Dio guy was pretty damn good and I still have a soft spot for that live album. It introduced me to Ronnie James Dio and I got a chance to explore his whole career. What a treasure for the ears!

I also saw Heaven and Hell in 2007 in Cincinnati. Very interesting how from the time I first put on Live Evil and got into Dio, 10 years later to the year I'm standing two or three rows from the stage with Ronnie in front of me, fronting that same line up and playing those same songs I fell in love with 10 years before. Life is full of interesting circles of time and coincidence.

Thanks again for the tribute and doing what you do.

-David

Comment

Why did Ronnie get so upset over the T Shirt ??

Comment

Originally posted by geezerbutler View Post
          It was a Philadelphia Eagles T-Shirt. Ronnie was a notorious NY sports fan. He's a NY Giants fan, so it's more of a sports rivalry than anything else.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Comment

It's awesome. Every second of it. Thanks guys. R.I.P. Ronnie.
            The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by geezerbutler View Post
              1. The guy balled it up and threw it at his head, which is what set him off to begin with.

2. Ronnie was a big NY Giants fan, and the T-Shirt was for the Philadelphia Eagles broadcast station 94WYSP. The front of it said something about being green and Merril Reese, who is the long-time radio announcer for the Eagles in Philly. Maybe if it was a Giants shirt Ronnie wouldn't have been as pissed, I don't know.

When the song ended, Ronnie specifically said he had no problem with 94WYSP, just with the idiot who threw the shirt. The crowd roared its approval.
              Damian
              Super Moderator
              Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

Very nice tribute guys, I especially love the video.
                "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

The heartfelt tribute from Joe brought a tear to my eye.

It's very similar to how I discovered this man's unequalled voice and lyrical vision. However, I got Heaven and Hell first in 1981 (I traded some other album to a friend for it, I'm not sure what I traded, and it doesn't matter anyway!), right after my Grade 9 year had let out for the summer. I got Mob Rules later, then Rainbow Rising, then...

The video (thanks Damian & Co.) was shot not long after I saw Black Sabbath (for that is what they were) in Detroit. It was an outdoor gig, and in Michigan the sun doesn't go down until well after 8.00 PM that time of year. Even after Coheed and Cambria's commendable opening set, the sun was still shining. Ronnie joked that, "come on, we can't have sunshine, you can't sing about creepy things when the sun is shining!" Again I have to thank my dear wife for urging me to see this gig...she said, "those guys are getting up in years, and you don't know if you'll see them again." Little did we know.

I am privileged to have seen Ronnie three times: twice with Black Sabbath ('92 and '09) and once with Dio ('85). I almost got to see him at a club gig in '97 but I was suffering from probably the worst case of the flu that I've ever had.

Joe's comments on Live Evil are interesting. I still like it, but I haven't heard Live At Hammersmith. I give Live At Radio City Music Hall a slight edge. It's curious to me that in the VHS of Part 2 of The Black Sabbath Story that album isn't even mentioned. I dearly wish an official DVD of the 1980 Black And Blue Tour with Blue Oyster Cult would be released.

Ronnie, you'll always be missed but never forgotten.

I'm not sure how authentic these pictures of Ronnie's resting place are...maybe someone who knows more than me can confirm or deny their authenticity:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=52461224

He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

A nice tribute and an excellent video!
                    Don't care which God you follow, whose promises you swallow.

Comment

That was a really great tribute...It brought tears to my eyes again reading it...and not to mention the video. The funny t-shirt incident aside...it really got me crying again seeing how great Ronnie was at his last ever show...he sang totally flawlessly...

Thanks so much Joe and Damian for this...it was truly a great tribute for a great man.

Comment

Hats off & heads down for Joe & Damian. Thank you very much for this tribute.
                        Last edited by Sabbathman; 06-06-2010, 08:08 AM.
                        "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Joe & Damian ... THANK YOU !

Comment

This remarkable footage should definitely be added as a bonus feature to the upcoming Heaven & Hell live DVD set. The full show from wherever it was filmed, the new interviews, some vintage live footage from the '80 - '82 era...and this footage, the very last live footage of Ronnie James Dio. Also the backstage & interview footage that features Damian.
                            "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
                              This remarkable footage should definitely be added as a bonus feature to the upcoming Heaven & Hell live DVD set. The full show from wherever it was filmed, the new interviews, some vintage live footage from the '80 - '82 era...and this footage, the very last live footage of Ronnie James Dio. Also the backstage & interview footage that features Damian.
                              Gloria Butler mentioned that they might want to use the footage in some capacity. Whether or not it ACTUALLY happens is unknown.

Given the nature of the material, I offered it to 'em for use for free. Didn't want to try and make a buck off of it - especially now. I think that footage needs to be SEEN, not caught up in endless negotiations over how much money I wanted to make off of it.

Sadly, Damian was prevented from filming anything more than that, so there isn't any more to use. :(

Comment

Working...
                              X