Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaven and Hell tribute gig Setlist for High Voltage festival!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devilmaycare View Post
    I was wondering that myself... Was there a "gold ticket" affair at the front? I have never seen a festival audience that close to the stage being so... well... LAME!
    Haha, right? I remember storming the front of the stage many a times in the past and it had nothing to do with camera angles. Times they are a-changin'
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Comment

Originally posted by hipster doofus View Post
      Haha, right? I remember storming the front of the stage many a times in the past and it had nothing to do with camera angles. Times they are a-changin'
      Ha! Yeah, people seem to be respecting each others... PERSONAL SPACE! Jesus! I've had Doc Martins, studded belts, even carving knives (yes really, luckily handle first) hit me in the head at festivals... Now, I'm saying I would prefer that but this crowd seems a little quaint!

Comment

The memorial concert must have been something powerful & memorable indeed...

...the tears turned into a massive rain, the heavy riffs turned into a brutal thunder & lightning...a once-in-a-lifetime storm just passed over my town from south to north!!!

"He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Funnily. I'm thinking exactly the opposite about the vocalists... I think Jorn just sounds & looks so... Pedestrian... Hughes (whilst not the star he thinks he is!) just has the class, voice & charisma to pull it off.
          Agreed. Listening to them doing Heaven and Hell together, I think it's evident that Hughes does Dio much better than Lande. I do like both of them though Lande doesn't seem to be much of a showman compared to Hughes. Judging from those clips alone, he really should leave the bass at home more often
          http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

It's like Glenn's personal Tosh.0 Web Redemption, had he had some live footage from the 1986 shows. Way to go Glenn.
            "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Ha! Yeah, people seem to be respecting each others... PERSONAL SPACE! Jesus! I've had Doc Martins, studded belts, even carving knives (yes really, luckily handle first) hit me in the head at festivals...
              What band was that?
              http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Funnily. I'm thinking exactly the opposite about the vocalists... I think Jorn just sounds & looks so... Pedestrian... Hughes (whilst not the star he thinks he is!) just has the class, voice & charisma to pull it off.
                I have yet to see and hear these clips but I agree with you that generally talking Glenn Hughes is much more emotional and charismatic than Jorn. I've seen Hughes several times, even singing when he was sick just after really talented and young rock singers and there was no comparison, Glenn's voice may not be liked by some by his charisma and ability to excite people from a stage is quite unique. The Fused line-up with Geezer on bass and Hughes just singing would be much better than Jorn-Iommi-Butler-Appice imo.

Comment

The Fused line-up with Geezer on bass and Hughes just singing would be much better than Jorn-Iommi-Butler-Appice imo.
                  Agree with that. Though Glenn might be the better bass player for that material.

Comment

Agreed. Geezer would be a third wheel on that stuff. And Hughes just works better with a bass strapped round his neck!

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Originally posted by Sir Kenneth View Post
                    What band was that?
                    The belt was Reading '82... three stitches in the back of the head because some twat thought it would look good to twirl it around over his head.

The knife was Donnington '81 during Blue Oyster Cult's set. I mean, yeah... They were shit & all kinds of crap was airborne & headed stageward... but it takes a special kind of psycho to

i) Take a carving knife with an 8" blade to a rock concert

And (I think, far more importantly)

ii) Throw the fucking thing into the most densely populated part of the crowd! As my dearly departed old Dad said when i told him... "What a cunt!"

The DM? That could have been any BIG DAY OUT in Sydney during the 90's...

Comment

Hughes is a really good bass player but his abilities as showman and frontman probably have been underrated partially cause he was always even a bass player. I've seen Hughes live several times, always playing bass and singing and he was always great. Then I've recently seen Glenn performing in a huge Guitar heroes festival in Italy, with Malmsteen, Aldrich, Lynch, Batten and many others, during some songs he came on stage as the sole singer, without the bass guitar (played by Neil Murray) and he showed how great he is even without the bass guitar. I wouldn't want to see Tony without Geezer and I don't think Geezer would be any less important than he was with Ozzy or Ronnie in the band. In a way he's always been the third weel though he's always been very important with his deep bass lines (and often even his lyrics). The contrast of styles is one of the things that can be really interesting in music. I could see Glenn singing on some Dio era tunes like Children of The Sea, Heaven and Hell, even Bible Black, and doing lots of Fused with some Glenn era Sabbath tracks like Seventh Star. I think Geezer could fit really well. And it would be something different for Glenn that could be a frontman 100% just focusing on singing and keeping the crowd hot (something he manages to do well even when he does the double duty vocals-bass).

ps: just think about the song "The Spell" from "Fused"with Geezer Butler on bass, musically talking it's obviously a Tony Iommi track that would have been a GREAT Black Sabbath song on a new Ronnie-Ozzy fronted Black Sabbath studio album.

I would love to see Iommi-Hughes together even with Glenn on bass, I just think it would have less appeal for some of the stuff they could play and for some of the territories they could follow. There's a kinda heavy and painted black A.O.R./melodic rock vein even in Tony's blood and even Geezer has some unexplored chops he could focus on working with somebody like Hughes.
                      Last edited by blackblood; 07-26-2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

i found another review of the gig HERE with some footage and this paragraph in it
                        Moments after coming off stage, Hughes revealed exclusively to the Express & Star that there will be a tribute album, “with some mega stars”, to raise funds for the charity, as well as a major show in Los Angeles in March.

Comment

That would be good for sure ! Although Iommi did say that HV festival would be H&H's only tribute.

I've listened to the show and I'm note quite sure of what I really think for the moment : I've heard stuff that I found amazing, weird, and a lot of other impressions... It looked very emotional altogether.

Glenn Hughes seemed to be a bit too show-offy for me at times.

Without blowing my own trumpet, I was somehow convinced that they'd do Turn Up The Night, sung by Jorn. It was really great as expected and he proved that he's really a worthy singer.

Overall, the combination of Hughes's unique style and Lande perfect Dio imitation was very fitting for this tribute

Comment

Originally posted by LeCroix View Post
                            i found another review of the gig HERE with some footage and this paragraph in it

Moments after coming off stage, Hughes revealed exclusively to the Express & Star that there will be a tribute album, “with some mega stars”, to raise funds for the charity, as well as a major show in Los Angeles in March.
                            Thanks for sharing this info, LeCroix.

A tribute album "with some mega stars" will surely get my money.

I reckon the "major show" in Los Angeles will also be filmed & released on a DVD.

I guess this High Voltage Festival show will be released at some point too, maybe as a bonus feature on the upcoming Heaven & Hell live DVD set along with the newly engineered Heaven & Hell show from 2009...God I already want that release to become reality, full of material, heavy to the bone.
                            Last edited by Sabbathman; 07-27-2010, 03:19 AM.
                            "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
                              Reports say Anselmo came on stage and "grabbed" the mike from Hughes. I asked Geezer if it was planned. No reply yet.
                              Even if it wasn't, Phil's a really good guy that got along well with Dio. Dio probably would've been rocking it the fuck out in Heaven, watching him.

Comment

i'd say that planned show will not be just about Sabbath. it will be mix of everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X