Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RONNIE JAMES DIO Tribute Album And Los Angeles-Area Concert In The Works

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RONNIE JAMES DIO Tribute Album And Los Angeles-Area Concert In The Works

    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=143554

    Former DEEP PURPLE vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes, who took part in this past weekend's tribute concert to Ronnie James Dio at the High Voltage festival in London, has revealed exclusively to Express & Star that there will be a Dio tribute album, "with some megastars," to raise funds for to the Ronnie James Dio "Stand Up And Shout" Cancer Fund, as well as a major show in Los Angeles in March 2011.

    Hughes and Norwegian vocalist Jorn Lande joined surviving HEAVEN & HELL members Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice for Saturday's concert, the proceeds of which will also go to the "Stand Up And Shout" charity....

  • #2
    That's great for the cancer fund, but as far as tribute shows and tribute bands, enough already. There's an old saying in Italian, "Tre giorni" (three days), "Tre giorni" and we dance. RJD was honored with a great funeral, a tribute concert, it's now time to move on.
    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, i hope Metallica gets involved somehow .........

      here's a little impromptu jam session shortly after Ronnie died. None of them knew the lyrics or songs ~ but could you imagine if they were to rehearse some of it ??? "Die Young" would be an absolute killer, Metallica ~ ized !!!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVa4-d3Xi0

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sahand View Post
        Hey...Wait a Minute...is it going to be just them? Tony,Geezer,Vinny,Jorn and maybe Glenn? Isn't it going to be an all metal star concert with guests like what they did in FREDDIE MERCURY's tribute?
        Well Sahand, you're prayers have been answered. A little later in fact, but on a CD, in the studio.

        I'm glad this is happening, but I can see Wicked's point. But in my opinion, if Michael Jackson had a year long stand after his death in remembrance, I don't see why Ronnie shouldn't have the same treatment. Sure, Ronnie is not as popular as Michael was, but Dio has had a longer tenure in Rock N' Roll, and that says something.
        Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM.
        "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
          That's great for the cancer fund, but as far as tribute shows and tribute bands, enough already. There's an old saying in Italian, "Tre giorni" (three days), "Tre giorni" and we dance. RJD was honored with a great funeral, a tribute concert, it's now time to move on.
          Completely agree Wicked. It's probably not a popular view point, but I have no interest in watching Tony, Geezer and Vinnie become Steel Dragon (Judas Priest? Life imitating art imitating life?). I loved Dio's music, and I'm glad I got back into him in time to see his second to last show, but an album with, say, Don Dokken performing "I?" No thanks. My family's been touched by cancer, as I suspect many people's has, so I'm all for donating to any charity fighting it though.
          "But I don't want to go among mad people."
          "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
          "How do you know I'm mad?"
          "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by The Rules Mob View Post
            Completely agree Wicked. It's probably not a popular view point, but I have no interest in watching Tony, Geezer and Vinnie become Steel Dragon (Judas Priest? Life imitating art imitating life?). I loved Dio's music, and I'm glad I got back into him in time to see his second to last show, but an album with, say, Don Dokken performing "I?" No thanks. My family's been touched by cancer, as I suspect many people's has, so I'm all for donating to any charity fighting it though.
            Tony and Geezer won't become Steel Dragon, these guys wrote the rules.
            They're two of the most seasoned musicians in the world.

            I'd like to see them write some new music, tour and play all the Sabbath music they created together and Heaven and Hell music. The music they made with Dio was great because of
            their contributions as well and it deserves to be heard.
            The time it is coming when all life will end,
            With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
            Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
            The future has ended before it's begun.

            Comment


            • #7
              This is great news indeed! Ronnie deserves this and so much more...His contribution to the metal/hard rock world has been so huge over the years...

              I can't wait to learn more about this...especially about the memorial concert...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
                if Michael Jackson had a year long stand after his death in remembrance, I don't see why Ronnie shouldn't have the same treatment.
                It's precisely because Ronnie is not Michael Jackson that he shouldn'T have the same treatment.

                I think there's a difference between mourning and celebrating the dead and then turning things into freak shows and mercantile opportunities.

                Dio deserves better. Increasingly, I have the impression some people are using his death for ulterior motives and that rubs me the wrong way.
                Riffs
                ________

                If I had to make a list, I'd write Cozy Powell somewhere on there and then 43,084 drummers later, Vinnie Appice - hipster doofus

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Hell_Awaits View Post
                  Tony and Geezer won't become Steel Dragon, these guys wrote the rules.
                  They're two of the most seasoned musicians in the world.

                  I'd like to see them write some new music, tour and play all the Sabbath music they created together and Heaven and Hell music. The music they made with Dio was great because of
                  their contributions as well and it deserves to be heard.
                  I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. If Tony, Geezer and Vinnie decide to get someone who sounds like Ronnie and try to continue the Dio era Sabbath they'd be making a mistake. When Ozzy left they went out and got someone who was different, and they continued to make great, but unique, music. It's a mistake to try and get someone to "be" Ronnie. I'm all for them working together, because they have great chemistry, but let the Dio era rest with Ronnie. I agree the music deserves to be heard. That's what CDs are for.
                  "But I don't want to go among mad people."
                  "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
                  "How do you know I'm mad?"
                  "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Rules Mob View Post
                    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. If Tony, Geezer and Vinnie decide to get someone who sounds like Ronnie and try to continue the Dio era Sabbath they'd be making a mistake. When Ozzy left they went out and got someone who was different, and they continued to make great, but unique, music. It's a mistake to try and get someone to "be" Ronnie. I'm all for them working together, because they have great chemistry, but let the Dio era rest with Ronnie. I agree the music deserves to be heard. That's what CDs are for.

                    I never said they should get a Dio clone, I just think they(Iommi/Butler) should continue to make new music together, tour and play all the music they made together with Ozzy, Dio, Gillan, and Martin.
                    The time it is coming when all life will end,
                    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
                    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
                    The future has ended before it's begun.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hell_Awaits View Post
                      I never said they should get a Dio clone, I just think they(Iommi/Butler) should continue to make new music together, tour and play all the music they made together with Ozzy, Dio, Gillan, and Martin.
                      Forget about it.

                      Iommi and Butler are never, ever going to play Martin/Gillan era songs. These albums do not have a decent enough following to be worth revisiting and even the guys themselves (Iommi, Butler) do not seem to care about this material in the least.

                      And this doesn't come from a complete hater. I consider Born Again one of the most underrated heavy metal album in history. It has some of my favorite Sabbath songs.

                      But yeah, gotta be realistic. I've got more chance of banging Megan Fox on top of Mount Everest than of attending a concert where Iommi and Butler burn through Zero the Hero.
                      Riffs
                      ________

                      If I had to make a list, I'd write Cozy Powell somewhere on there and then 43,084 drummers later, Vinnie Appice - hipster doofus

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Riffs View Post
                        Forget about it.

                        Iommi and Butler are never, ever going to play Martin/Gillan era songs. These albums do not have a decent enough following to be worth revisiting and even the guys themselves (Iommi, Butler) do not seem to care about this material in the least.

                        And this doesn't come from a complete hater. I consider Born Again one of the most underrated heavy metal album in history. It has some of my favorite Sabbath songs.

                        But yeah, gotta be realistic. I've got more chance of banging Megan Fox on top of Mount Everest than of attending a concert where Iommi and Butler burn through Zero the Hero.
                        You and I have had this arguement before dude. Just because you don't care for these eras doesn't mean that they aren't worth any one's time. You are parading your opinion as a fact. You don't know the future, and you don't know what these guys will do, or how they feel about certain eras.
                        I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by cwilder86 View Post
                          Just because you don't care for these eras doesn't mean that they aren't worth any one's time.
                          ...
                          Originally posted by Riffs View Post
                          I consider Born Again one of the most underrated heavy metal album in history. It has some of my favorite Sabbath songs.
                          Sure is lack of reading comprehension in here guise

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Butt View Post
                            ...

                            Sure is lack of reading comprehension in here guise
                            What do you mean?
                            I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Riffs View Post
                              Forget about it.

                              Iommi and Butler are never, ever going to play Martin/Gillan era songs. These albums do not have a decent enough following to be worth revisiting and even the guys themselves (Iommi, Butler) do not seem to care about this material in the least.

                              And this doesn't come from a complete hater. I consider Born Again one of the most underrated heavy metal album in history. It has some of my favorite Sabbath songs.

                              But yeah, gotta be realistic. I've got more chance of banging Megan Fox on top of Mount Everest than of attending a concert where Iommi and Butler burn through Zero the Hero.
                              I read an article with Iommi shortly after Fused came out and he was discussing touring
                              on that album with Glenn and covering all eras of Sabbath including Born Again. This was right before the Heaven and Hell thing got going.
                              Last edited by Hell_Awaits; 07-28-2010, 06:47 PM.
                              The time it is coming when all life will end,
                              With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
                              Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
                              The future has ended before it's begun.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X