Announcement

Collapse

Logins with New Software

If you are having problems staying logged in since the Jan 15 change to the new version of vBulletin, please go to your browser's configuration area, and delete the cookies for this website, and reboot your browser.

-- Joe
See more
See less

Did Ritchie Blackmore do any tributes to Dio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Ritchie Blackmore do any tributes to Dio?

Did he???

I hadn't heard of any...
    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Comment

Ritchie's not one to do tributes, really.

But he did something better; he introduced him to the world stage by first having Elf open for Deep Purple on tour, and later hiring him in Rainbow. If these things had not happened, maybe only people in Courtland, NY would know who Dio was.

Comment

I remember him saying some words after Ronnie passed but other than that there was nothing I know of. I know he performed a few old Dio era Rainbow tunes with Blackmore's Night before. I'm guessing he might do that again as a tribute to him which i'm fine with.
        Nobody will ever let you know
        When you ask the reason why
        They just tell you that you're on your own
        Fill your head all full of lies

Comment

I think the only tribute that Blackers will pay is the gracious words he offered upon Dio's death. I'd love to see Ritchie adapt another RJD-era classic; the BN covers have been interesting, if not always entirely successful.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they will do something for the upcoming BN tour...I too have enjoyed the BN versions of some of the classics...granted they haven't all worked but some have worked pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryHeart View Post
              Ritchie's not one to do tributes, really.

But he did something better; he introduced him to the world stage by first having Elf open for Deep Purple on tour, and later hiring him in Rainbow. If these things had not happened, maybe only people in Courtland, NY would know who Dio was.
              Good point, although truth be told, Roger Glover got that ball rolling first. Then Ritchie took him to the next level.
              Damian
              Super Moderator
              Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

Maybe we'll see him at the tribute show in LA next year? I'm not holding my breath on that one, but it would be a nice gesture.
                http://www.last.fm/user/sirkenneth

http://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

God how I wish Ritchie Blackmore would man up and return to rock with a set of his Purple and Rainbow favourites, especially few Dio-era Rainbow classics in Dio's honour & memory. Get Doogie White to sing, call Bob Daisley as well. The drummer could be either Bobby Rondinelli or maybe Tommy Aldridge if available. Keyboards & organ...maybe David Rosenthal. Just a small scale tour, just the important capital cities in his career. And call it plain & simply RITCHIE BLACKMORE, no Purple & Rainbow affiliations in the moniker, just a solo project for the one last run of classic rock that we all love.

This project would surely get me going, ferociously.
                  "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post
                    God how I wish Ritchie Blackmore would man up and return to rock with a set of his Purple and Rainbow favourites, especially few Dio-era Rainbow classics in Dio's honour & memory. Get Doogie White to sing, call Bob Daisley as well. The drummer could be either Bobby Rondinelli or maybe Tommy Aldridge if available. Keyboards & organ...maybe David Rosenthal. Just a small scale tour, just the important capital cities in his career. And call it plain & simply RITCHIE BLACKMORE, no Purple & Rainbow affiliations in the moniker, just a solo project for the one last run of classic rock that we all love.

This project would surely get me going, ferociously.
                    I'd love to see it Sabbathman... But "man up"? Surely what he's doing right now takes more balls than wheeling "Smoke On The Water" & "Long Live Rock'n'Roll" around the world all over again?

Comment

Originally posted by J Hillenburg View Post
                      I think the only tribute that Blackers will pay is the gracious words he offered upon Dio's death. I'd love to see Ritchie adapt another RJD-era classic; the BN covers have been interesting, if not always entirely successful.
                      I would have liked to have heard Ronnie team up with BN and re-do "The Temple Of The King."

But it's true, that we owe a heavy debt to Ritchie Blackmore for bringing Dio to so many people's notice.

Otherwise he might have still been Ron Padavona, working a day job in upstate NY and gigging with Elf in bars when they could get gigs, and putting out albums when they could get studio time.
                      He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                        I would have liked to have heard Ronnie team up with BN and re-do "The Temple Of The King."

But it's true, that we owe a heavy debt to Ritchie Blackmore for bringing Dio to so many people's notice.
                        I personally owe a debt to Blackmore for the solo in Stargazer. Wow....just....Wow......
                        Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Has Ritchie Blackmore done anything in the last 27 years worthy of my notice? Just curious.
                          How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
                          --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                            Has Ritchie Blackmore done anything in the last 27 years worthy of my notice? Just curious.
                            I understand its rhetorical, but why would you be asking us if someone has done something worth your notice? I would think your question answers itself in much fewer words than you produced attempting to be dismissive and clever.

For the record, Perfect Strangers was released 26 years ago and that, at the very least, should be worthy. But there's a lot more worthy, much more, if someone will listen with an open mind and has a willingness to search.
                            Last edited by J Hillenburg; 09-30-2010, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin View Post
                              Give him a break, he's had Minstrel Cramps......
                              Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Comment

Working...
                              X