Ronnie James Dio - 2010-05-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie James Dio - 2010-05-16

The first anniversary of Ronnie's passing is near, May 16th 2010 was the day we had to say goodbye to the greatest of them all. An untimely event of sadness, a moment of bitter loss. What all would have been if Ronnie was still here? Many wonderful things.

It feels like a distant past & at the same time like it was today. It's indescribable.

Where there's a dark, black shadow...there's always the shining light. Ronnie has passed away, but we still have him here with us in the immortal riffs, melodies & lyrics of his music. Ronnie's music will never die. Ronnie's presence will never go away. Ronnie's influence will keep burning like a flame in the hearts of those who appreciate him.

I know things are bound by many other things, legal & commercial etc. but so far I feel we haven't got nearly as many post-humous releases of Ronnie's music as we would want to get. We've got the Neon Nights Live at Wacken, Donington 1983/1987 & Feinstein's Bitten By The Beast releases and that's good...but not enough! Hopefully new releases of his music will soon emerge, starting with the tribute album played by legendary artists, continuing with some more classic live material, even more of the recent live material. Hopefully Craig & co. can do something good with Ronnie's archives...

Same thing with the tributes, not nearly as many tributes as we would want to happen. In addition to the Heaven & Hell tribute concert in London, there have been numerous bands out there playing some songs in Ronnie's honour, plus 2 weeks ago I saw Angry Machines playing their tribute show. Dio's Disciples will play their tribute shows this summer, consisting of Dio's own troops & none other than Ripper Owens. I'm hoping for some (set of?) huge tribute concert(s?) in Ronnie's honour, soon. A combined effort with well-known artists who know & love Ronnie & his music...captured for a live release.

I will always remember Ronnie James Dio & breathe magic from his music. Ronnie is metal and Ronnie will never die!!!

"He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Amazing post as always Sabbathman, your passion for the mans music is incredible. And I've actually pondered about the very same thing recently...

Anniversaries always make on realize how fast time passes by. As one of my biggest musical idols Dio's passing was a shock in the truest sense of the word. It's still hard to believe that he's gone, but I'm glad - and most of all grateful- that I got to witness the power and grace of the man atleast once. And on his final glorious tour with the mighty Sabs! I know that on the 16th of May I will cranck up the finest material of the greatest vocalist ever, the King Of Rock & Roll Ronnie James Dio.

LONG LIVE ROCK'N'ROLL
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Comment

Fuck man... I can't believe we're already coming up on a year... I remember it just like it was yesterday. The day I found out...
      I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Comment

May 16th will be a sad day indeed. I am having a scan of my stomach and gall bladder that day, as I have been having pains in my stomach. I am hopeful it is just a gallbladder issue, but having the scan on this day is eerie for me.

As for more music, I am hopeful there will be some type of career spanning box set that is put out that cover from 1958 - 2009. How cool would that set be? I would buy one in a heartbeat.

On another note, a buddy and I drove from Detroit, MI to Atlantic City to see what would end up being Dio's last show. As a remembrance of this awesome weekend we had, he and I are doing a trip this year as well. It is May 12 - 13th, and we are planning on listening to Dio both days as we drive. The shows we are going to are Alter Bridge w/ Black Stone Cherry and Asia. Not really Metal shows, but all 3 bands are bands we enjoy, and we are looking forward to the fellowship, and the remembrance of Ronnie on this journey.
        "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

I have probably listened to more RJD music this past year (since May 16) than any other year in my life. Of course Ronnie shined on the studio albums he recorded, and we all know Ronnie sang great live, but I have developed an even greater level of love, admiration, respect, and sheer awe for this man's live performances after listening to just about every Dio-Rainbow, Dio-Sabbath, and Dio bootleg from over the years. Ronnie was on fire every fucken performance! If you're a RJD fan and you think you've exhausted the RJD catalog, listen to the bootlegs, from all the bands and eras. In fact, the tour that really caught my attention was the Lock Up the Wolves tour...whoa!!! P-o-w-e-r-f-u-l shit! Ronnie was amazing during this period...well, yeah, I know, he was amazing during every period, band, tour, show.

Comment

hmm, there's been extremely many new releases!!! Too many to list here... re-editions of this that and everyting else, a lot in vinyl, then a lot of previously unknown material surfaced, like the 1973 Elf concert (and I have 4 1/2 hrs more Elf live material waiting for permission... I posted two songs in youtube), etc etc etc...

but you got the Manowar tribute, which has a fantastic guitar version of Nevermore (plus Manowar's own version of Heaven and Hell), then also the Dio Live We Rock semi-boot CD+DVD, but the CD has Dio in top 1983 and 1984 form, I was listening to it in my car, it's fantastic. We got Metal will never die, and The Code about to be released (it's already out there). We got the Dehumanizer and Rising deluxe editions with some really nice extras. And as I said, more re-releases than I care to mention, or, for that matter, to buy.

Oh, we got the demo of LL RnR with alternative takes as well...

But yes, I agree, not enough...

Comment

I decided directly after knowing about His death that May 16th would be the most sacred day of the year for me. I will not forget to honor Him on that day for as long as I live, that I can promise you all. Sometimes it is still hard to think that he really is gone, to the Temple of the King...
              "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
              -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
              - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
              http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

Originally posted by H&H View Post
                As a remembrance of this awesome weekend we had, he and I are doing a trip this year as well. It is May 12 - 13th, and we are planning on listening to Dio both days as we drive. The shows we are going to are Alter Bridge w/ Black Stone Cherry and Asia. Not really Metal shows, but all 3 bands are bands we enjoy, and we are looking forward to the fellowship, and the remembrance of Ronnie on this journey.
                I'm actually going to see Alter Bridge / Blackstone Cherry Sat May 7 in Charlotte, NC as part of the Carolina Rebellion Festival and then again on the 10th in Knoxville, TN. Like you said, they may not be metal, but some of the newer groups have renewed my faith in straight-forward rock'n'roll again.

Comment

I know many are saying it doesn't seem like a year, but to me it seems like about 5.

RIP Ronnie, your music will outlive all of us!
                  Thanks Ronnie
                  Heaven and Hell - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiLtInN8EM
                  Die Young - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41NOVVyqS0

Comment

I'm challenging you all with the following:

On Monday the 16th of May you should choose your favourite album from each of Dio's famous band entities Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath and Dio and listen them through in his memory & honour. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much, I'm sure Dio himself will be pleased too.

My choices:

Elf - Trying To Burn The Sun
                    Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
                    Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
                    Dio - Holy Diver

In today's world, there are always some bonus tracks too, so I'm choosing these four:

Roger Glover's The Butterfly Ball & The Grasshopper's Feast feat. Dio - Love Is All
                    Dio & Malmsteen - Dream On (Aerosmith cover)
                    Kerry Livgren feat. Dio - To Live For The King
                    Eddie Ojeda feat. Dio - Tonight

Ronnie James Dio
                    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Of course this could change on any given day....

Rainbow - Rainbow Rising
                      Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
                      Dio - Holy Diver
                      Thanks Ronnie
                      Heaven and Hell - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiLtInN8EM
                      Die Young - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41NOVVyqS0

Comment

RIP Ronnie.....You'll live on forever, miss you so much. I'm going to be having a minute silence with another Dio follower at 12:00 on the 16th....

But he is a Holy Diver, a Rainbow In The Dark, he will Stand Up and Shout for us all....He lives in Heaven and Hell and goes Over and Over. It feels like he is Falling Off The Edge Of The World, he says Lonely Is The Word while Turning Up The Night. The Neon Knight, the Stargazer, But as he once said Long Live Rock N' Roll. He said it while Dehumanising everyone in he path, the Master of Insanity to us all and he doesn't live in Fear, but is Following the Tears. May you RIP Ronnie James Dio, lay in the Temple of the King at Peace......

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post

On Monday the 16th of May you should choose your favourite album from each of Dio's famous band entities Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath and Dio and listen them through in his memory & honour. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much, I'm sure Dio himself will be pleased too.

My choices:

Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
                          Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
                          Dio - Holy Diver

In today's world, there are always some bonus tracks too, so I'm choosing these four:

Roger Glover's The Butterfly Ball & The Grasshopper's Feast feat. Dio - Love Is All
                          Dio & Malmsteen - Dream On (Aerosmith cover)
                          Kerry Livgren feat. Dio - To Live For The King
                          Eddie Ojeda feat. Dio - Tonight

Ronnie James Dio
                          Yes! Good idea, I don't know mine yet, although Heaven and Hell is for the Black Sabbath one, my favourite Black Sabbath album out of them all....

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbathman View Post

I'll be doing that without a doubt! And will throw in some live stuff too!

It is hard to believe it's been a year...I remember getting the news like yesterday...I literally had to sit down and let the news sink in...it was that tough. Just like losing a member of a family...He had been in my life for so long and his influence just grew and grew over the years. I can't really honestly say that about anybody else.

Monday will be a tough day but instead of crying and feeling sad, I'll try to celebrate Ronnie's life and enjoy his music and lyrics!

Ronnie, love ya and miss ya...the world is not the same it was with you in it.

Comment

Subconsciously, I picked a day off from work on this date so I could go to my doctor's appointment, forgetting about his time he left this world. Doctor had to cancel, so now I'm stuck. But I'm not stuck am I? It's Ronnie James Dio Appreciation day. For that, I'm going to see how far I can get in his entire works, sit back and listen in any chair, listening to the great man.

To end this post, I shall quote a Youtube Member who said this funny wishful thinking saying: Ronnie James Dio didn't let Cancer win. Instead, he took it with him to send it to Hell. Rock on Ronnie James Dio!

UPDATE: Oh, and I'm going to do this in order of release date.
                              Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM.
                              "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Comment

Working...
                              X