Remembering Ronnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
    I can't get over how powerful this performance is. The whole band is on fire, but RJD's performance is just mind blowing. The power, the vibrato, the emotion...Live Evil is a prime example of his phrasing and ad libbing abilities. Every performance was a little different from the previous one.

Yeah I completely agree with you, that version of "Voodoo" is really 100% what I mean when I say that a band is "on fire". Dio's ad libbing is not only fitting in melody and timing, but also in the words he uses which are just so right for the song. Sure there's nothing poetic about "there's evil there, somewhere" at all, but he says it in such a way that he really means it, similar to what I was getting at in another thread on Ozzy's ability to pull off the song "Black Sabbath".

As for Children of the Sea, that version was the first one I heard (off the Dio Years album) and I still have some issues listening to the studio version haha :D This one is simply superior in every way, Live Evil could have been a really big record if they had wanted to stay together.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Comment

In case anyone missed it, Geezer visited RJD's grave on May 16th (from his facebook official page) .

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
      Sadness felled the supernaut....

Comment

Four years ago today. I remember hearing the news on 93.3 KDKB while driving. Stunned to say the least. As I write this I'm listening to 'Eddie Trunk Rocks' on Q104.3. 'Man On the Silver Mountain', 'Neon Knights', and 'Stand Up And Shout' are played back-to-back. Gone but NEVER forgotten! Ronnie James Dio: R.I.P. ...
        Last edited by A Sabbath Historian; 05-16-2014, 09:29 PM.

Comment

R.I.P. Ronnie, you are gone only in the physical sense, not in the musica and joy you conveyed, that will always live on forever in our hearts and souls.

You were and always will be the King Of Rock-N-Roll!!!
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
          ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

R.I.P. Ronnie - your music will last forever
            Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Comment

Originally posted by Josef_K View Post
              Yeah I completely agree with you, that version of "Voodoo" is really 100% what I mean when I say that a band is "on fire". Dio's ad libbing is not only fitting in melody and timing, but also in the words he uses which are just so right for the song. Sure there's nothing poetic about "there's evil there, somewhere" at all, but he says it in such a way that he really means it, similar to what I was getting at in another thread on Ozzy's ability to pull off the song "Black Sabbath".

As for Children of the Sea, that version was the first one I heard (off the Dio Years album) and I still have some issues listening to the studio version haha :D This one is simply superior in every way, Live Evil could have been a really big record if they had wanted to stay together.
              Very true! Live Evil, H&H and Mob Rules would have kept on selling had this lineup not broken up so soon. The video would have been released too.

Comment

8 years have gone since the Man went back to the Silver Mountain...

This playlist is compiled from 20 releases and shows why Dio will always be one of the greatest titans of rock & metal...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8xoh-VbpiEhVzc

"He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Comment

Of course the day is dedicated to our beloved vocalist and i will make and hear a mix from his Rainbow, Sabbath and solo career days.

Dio is one of my favorite artists and i really like his work. The albums which did with Rainbow and Black Sabbath, belong in my favorite albums of all time. H&H, Mob rules, did the 1-2 punch for me. It is remarkable that the same lineup (except the drummer), gave us two astonishing albums the one after the other and those two albums are splendid.

Both of these albums are full of gems but the most definitive for me which shows the peak of everyone in the band back then, is this:

Comment

Working...
                  X