Question about ending of Hole In The Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ending of Hole In The Sky

Does everybody else's copy have the song ending 'totally abruptly' to immediately go into the very next instrumental?

Was this an error or how the song is supposed to end (similar to a Beatles song where Mccartney just cut the song tape and that is how it ended)

Yes, all copies of Sabotage have the song ending that way, and seeing as how they spent most of a year in the studio working on that album I would have to say it was not an error. Taken overall, there are elements to the production where it might sound "sabotaged" so to speak. I think that was the idea behind things like the countdown at the beginning of Hole in the Sky, the Blow on a Jug outtake, and other little noises, effects, and unsettling screaming at different points of the album. Works for me, and what also works is not only how Hole in the Sky leads into Don't Start (Too Late), but how it then leads right into Symptom of the Universe. Back in '75 people probably felt like it was just one long song with a tiny acoustic break in the middle. Cutting edge for the day and one of the all-time greatest albums ever.
    Last edited by Damian; 02-17-2009, 05:26 PM.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

I always felt Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath were the best vocals Ozzy laid down in the studio too. His high pitch wail was never better.
      "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
      R. Blackmore

Comment

I always felt it was titled Sabotage because of those little annoying things.
        The biggest one for me, and still a mystery, is why the beginning of "Symptom" is sorta muted for the first minutes, then gets drastically clean? Only my vinyl copy is like that. All the cd versions I've heard are clear from beginning to end.
        Anybody got a clue on this?

Comment

Sounds like another Friday after lunch pressing job...
          "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

So, since it is the second time I mention this and never got an answer, I'll ask it in a different way....
            Can anyone with an original press of Sabotage tell me how the sound on Symptom is from start to finish?
            as in, muffed,muted, clear, sparkling, varies, same, etc, ....

Comment

Perhaps, the song just ended as they entered the "Hole in the Sky"...
              "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Comment

Originally posted by Saboteur View Post
                I always felt it was titled Sabotage because of those little annoying things.
                The biggest one for me, and still a mystery, is why the beginning of "Symptom" is sorta muted for the first minutes, then gets drastically clean? Only my vinyl copy is like that. All the cd versions I've heard are clear from beginning to end.
                Anybody got a clue on this?
                Sorry, I meant to respond to this post before...yes, both a friend of mine and I (I believe we both had vinyl copies of Sabotage) noticed that, to my ears it almost sounded like one of the channels wasn't clear (or even present) until a certain point in the song. My friend thought it might have been a change in tone. I bought an Italian vinyl issue (Earache) of Sabotage several years ago, I'll have to pull it out and listen for it on there. I think 'Blow on a Jug' is on it.

Ted

Comment

Ah! Finally someone that can confirm this exists!
                  Thanks Ted! Please check the Earache remaster too! They probably used the cd master for that one! lol!

And I just re-checked it, and you're right. It's like the left channel isn't clear up to the 2:29 mark. It gets clearer during the drum fills before the 3rd verse. The right channel also gets a little boost, but not as much!

So can anyone else with an original copy confirm this? I have the canadian first press, incl. Blow on a Jug

Comment

Originally posted by Saboteur View Post
                    Ah! Finally someone that can confirm this exists!
                    Thanks Ted! Please check the Earache remaster too! They probably used the cd master for that one! lol!

And I just re-checked it, and you're right. It's like the left channel isn't clear up to the 2:29 mark. It gets clearer during the drum fills before the 3rd verse. The right channel also gets a little boost, but not as much!

So can anyone else with an original copy confirm this? I have the canadian first press, incl. Blow on a Jug
                    I have a Canadian pressing that I bought new in '85 or '86 or so and I've always wondered about this as well.
                    montreal '86 / montreal '92 / montreal '94 / toronto '99
                    montreal '07 / quebec '07 / ottawa '07 / toronto '08 / philadelphia '13 / ottawa '14

Comment

I'll probably be able to check my copy of Sabotage this weekend.

Ted

Comment

Sorry about the delay again, I checked my vinyl issue of Sabotage (detailed above) today and I didn't hear the 'change' in Symptom of the Universe but 'Blow on a Jug' is included at the end of side 2. I may have to try listening to 'Symptom' again with headphones to see if I can hear the change that way, if it's there. I know it was on the vinyl issue of Sabotage I bought back in 1985 I believe but unfortunately I don't have that issue any more.

Ted

Comment

Thanks for checking Ted. You would have heard it even without headphones!
                          Like I said....They probably used the cd master for that one! Same version as the Black Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                            I always felt Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath were the best vocals Ozzy laid down in the studio too. His high pitch wail was never better.
                            I would agree about Sabotage, the best vocals of his career, save for Bark At The Moon and The Ultimate Sin. But Sabbath Bloody Sabbath not so much, the chorus to Looking For Today and the Coda for Killing Yourself To Live is dreadful.

But yes like others have said, all copies I've ever heard of Sabotage, Hole In The Sky ends abruptly. I think they should have put Don't Start Too Late after Symptom of The Universe, that way the heavy material starts right as HITS ends, and after SOTU ends acoustically, have DSTL finish it off.

Comment

blow on a jug

the castle communication -miniture lp/cds(uk import)
                              has blow on a jug, just a bit of info to those who dont know

Comment

Working...
                              X