"The Devil you know" effect on Ozzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Devil you know" effect on Ozzy

Late '90s: the long awaited Black Sabbath reunion with Ozzy is a reality, and the fans can see Tony, Ozzy and co. together on stage again, and for several successfull tours. But so many Black Sabbath fans aren't completely happy, all they want is a new studio album from the original line-up. Too band the band tries to write one but doesn't go that far with the idea, Ozzy is not so focused on the project distracted by tv shows (I don't wanna rate cause I'm a classy guy..) or inspired to do one and always says he doesn't want to ruin the legacy of the band releasing a bad album though the band members got together to write new songs and told the press to have the ideas for around 6-7 songs already recorded (a new song, "Scary Dreams" is played live in some shows and brings back a bit of the old sound, though I've always thought it sounded a bit like an unfinished track that could have been even better with some adjustments)

2007: Ronnie James Dio is asked to be a part of a project called "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years", he's fine with the idea of writing some new songs with Tony for this release and the process of creating new music with Tony after such a long time is smooth and works so well that after a really successfull tour a new studio album is planned and now already recorded and soon to be released in april 2009.

What do you think will be the effect of the new Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath) album on Ozzy? To me, when the album will be released and will start to get a great feedback from the fans and the press (that's my opinion on what whill happen), most of them calling it the real new Sabbath album, Ozzy will feel like "Dio's done what I've not been able to do for a decade" and will truly do something in the direction of a new and most definitely final Black Sabbath studio album, maybe even just to have a sort of last word on the Sabbath Legacy he's helped to create from the start. Btw many fans would win if this should happen, I hope so, as much as I love Ronnie and I'm loving the idea of a new album with him (and would love even another one after that) I'd love the idea of seeing the chemistry of the original four together in studio for one final time, don't forget it, Tony, Geezer, Bill, Ozzy, it all started with them and to me it would be great to see the Black Sabbath Story ending with those four men delivering the last doom masterpiece bringing back a bit of that '70s sound that marked the very beginning of this musical genre.

What do you think? Will "The Devil You Know" give some motivation-fire to Ozzy for a possible new-last Sabbath chapter from the original line-up?

Max

I guess that would be our best-case scenario, but more than likely it is motivating Ozzy to finish his new solo album, like he did back when the Dio-reunion was announced. All of the sudden, Black Rain was fasttracked to completion. There's nothing wrong with lighting a fire under Ozzy's arse, but some other pieces need to fall into place for Sabbath fans to benefit. Namely, whether his new TV is a hit or not, how successful The Devil You Know and supporting tour are, and also the popularity of the upcoming Paranoid remaster release. The picture will be clearer after the Summer.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

Will the Heaven and Hell album give Ozzy motivation to do a new Black Sabbath album? Maybe. Capability? It's long gone

Comment

Having never seen the original line-up live, I guess a part of me hopes they re-group, make a CD and do a tour. But there is also a part of me that says they should have "The Devil You Know" be their swan song, and the members can go on to do solo projects.

Whatever happens it will be good, as we are sure to get some more awesome music!
        "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Comment

5-6 yrs when a band is in it's formative years is a life time of music. The Beatles were around from '64-70 and created an eternaty of music. Hendrix a mere 3 yrs and the impact and music he put out was hugh. Most bands durring thier "comming up" years, put out an album a year. I would say H&H could do at least a couple more albums after TDYK, so another Ozzy Sabbath record isn't out of the question. I don't understand why Ozzy doesn't think they can do something to match their legacy, surely, the other 3 play as well or better than they ever have, and Ozzy's vocal, despite alot of criticism on this board, always sounds great on his records, and in concert he can still not embarras himself or the band, unlike say Led Zep, who sound and look like they are in their 80's. Even Dio's voice has lost some of it's earlier quality live, but I didn't detect anything from the 3 Sabbath tracks on the DIo years that led me to believe he still can't sing quality stuff. It's all up to Ozzy if the original 4 ever record again. Balls in his court.
          "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
          R. Blackmore

Comment

Originally posted by blackblood View Post
            What do you think? Will "The Devil You Know" give some motivation-fire to Ozzy for a possible new-last Sabbath chapter from the original line-up?

Max
            It maybe too late. H&H has already been a success, a solid new record backed up by a huge tour will probably lead to a followup record by H&H. he should have cashed in when the rest of sabbath were ready.
            Saboid Dubh - “The sun, the moon, the stars all bear my seal”……“Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved”…… “I don't want no one to tell me where I'm gonna go when I die”……“I am the world that hides the universal secret of all time”……“Nobody will ever change my ways……“Here I go again from the start and to the end”……

Comment

Ozzy will start crying after the awesomeness of the new album crushes his sanity! (I like Ozzy sabbath BTW!)
              http://wickedinquisition.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I still wish after this Ozzy will realize and would like to give a last shot to do an album with other Sabbath members as this could be their last opportunity.

Not sure about how the new album of Ozzy will turn out, since it again has Zakk Wylde as the guitarist, I wish Ozzy had this time tried a new guitariest. But lets see...
                http://www.facebook.com/cosmicchants
                https://soundcloud.com/cosmicchants
                http://www.myspace.com/cosmicchants

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
                  ...the other 3 play as well or better than they ever have, and Ozzy's vocal, despite alot of criticism on this board, always sounds great on his records, and in concert he can still not embarras himself or the band, unlike say Led Zep, who sound and look like they are in their 80's. Even Dio's voice has lost some of it's earlier quality live, but I didn't detect anything from the 3 Sabbath tracks on the DIo years that led me to believe he still can't sing quality stuff. It's all up to Ozzy if the original 4 ever record again. Balls in his court.
                  I hope you aren't suggesting that Ozzy doesn't embarrass himself live while Robert Plant does. While I haven't seen either of these performers live, youtube gives a pretty good impression and Plant mops the floor with Ozzy's wheezing live performances. Granted, all of these guys are old and some have done more drugs than most (Ozzy), but they must be held accountable for their performances. Studio recordings are irrelevant. I read a quote from Dio talking about pro tools saying, "You can shine shit with that program."

I agree with Wicked Cricket on the matter of the original four reuniting. It's all on Ozzy/Sharon. Tony, Geezer, and especially Bill have been ready since 1997 to get the album rolling but much like the late 70's, Ozzy was unreliable. Instead of drugs, Ozzy felt it was more important to put out mediocre solo albums and a reality tv show.

Oh well, The Devil You Know is coming out!
                  If you tried to give Heavy Metal another name, you might call it "Tony Iommi."

Comment

Well , I definitely want Sabbath to end their career on top of the world , and with Dio and 'The Devil You Know' there couldn't be any better scenario to put the final chapter in the history of world's greatest heavy metal band of all time ! I believe Ronnie certainly derserves to be the one to end up this chapter along with Iommi , Geezer and Vinny , Ozzy had his shot and he screwed it more than once ! plus Ozzy can bearly talk these days not mentioning singing ! nothing could top the current line-up and everyone knows it ! I dont want another Ozzy /Sabbath colloboration just because Sharon & Ozzy feels that they should be the ones having the last laugh , that would be embarrasing .....

Comment

I believe that the mere fact that Tony has decided not to use the name Black Sabbath for "The Devil You Know" record says that deep down he's keeping the door open for a final tour-record with Ozzy, I don't buy the fact that the only motivation for the use of that band name is avoiding the Dio era stuff to be confused with the Ozzy era classics, I mean that may be one of the musical reasons for the "Heaven and Hell" monicker (awesome band name btw) but not the only one, that's my opinion. To everyobody saying Ozzy doesn't have it anymore I say (to me) the man could still deliver the goods in a studio (Black Rain wasn't bad at all) where he can re-sing his vocals till his parts are fine, and live just two years ago he's impressed me with a really good show, we know he's no Ronnie, he's not that kind of singer, but in a way he doesn't need to be, he's just Ozzy, and until he's still alive I'll keep on hoping though I'm enjoying immensely the line-up with Ronnie, actually if this album sells really well and the tour is as successfull as the previous one, well never say never, I would love to see this Black Sabbath Mark with Dio lasting a couple of years, this is such a great time to support this band. To me the only thing truly embarassing Ozzy's done is some of the stuff he's done on tv if you ask me, when he steps foot on stage the crowd always appreciates his efforts, he's such a limited singer but still such a unique one, his voice can't be replaced, and so many Sabbath (or Ozzy solo songs), he's still very effective doing them live. Cheers,

Max

Comment

Originally posted by nunoni View Post
                        Will the Heaven and Hell album give Ozzy motivation to do a new Black Sabbath album? Maybe.
                        I don't see that happening, because for that to occur, Ozzy will have to admit his share of guilt for not making the promised and touted original Black Sabbath album. I doubt he can do that, and Sharon won't approve this either. Whatever camaraderie and chemistry existed between the original members is long gone. Ozzy's (or Sharon's) attempts to divert attention from the Heaven and Hell announcement back in 2006 proves that business is now first priority for him. And was for years.

Of course, Ozzy will now attempt to record another solo album in haste to steal attention and sales from the new Sabbath album, like he did a few times in the past. I'm glad he can't hope to record and release it before The Devil You Know hits the stores, or even shortly thereafter. Now, if only the true band name was there to help the sales, we might not have had to fear Ozzy's counteractions at all...

capability? It's long gone
                        Keeping that in mind, I would rather have the band continue with Dio beyond TDYK album and tour. Unless Dio wants to bail out for Magica II, I think it's a solid possibility. So, the boat for the original lineup's album has sailed.
                        Last edited by Rover; 03-16-2009, 06:05 AM.
                        "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          So, the boat for the original lineup's album has sailed.
                          To me, this boat has sailed since 2001, when Ozzy refused to record what the band had written. This whole "I don't want to record anything that would tarnish Sabbath's legacy" was only a way for him (and when I say him, I mean $haron) not to have to stay with Sabbath to promote the album and tour while he would make more money by releasing solo albums with hired guns who won't get cuts from the sales. Today, Ozzy's live voice is weak, Bill is more or less retired and Geezer won't write lyrics anymore.

My belief is that Tony Iommi and Geezer know it and the change of name to Heaven and Hell is not only to say they will only play songs from the Dio era. I think they were glad that in 1997 they had managed to recreate the line-up that had started the band, they are glad this original line-up was reunited to be inducted in the Hall of Fame, but now that this line-up will not record anymore, then Black Sabbath is over. Changing the name into Heaven and Hell is a way to put all the bad blood and politics attached to the Sabbath name since the early 2000s behind and start afresh.
                          Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies don’t use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of “Dehumanizer”.
                          "Black Sabbath : la Bęte venue de Birmingham"

Comment

Quote: "Changing the name into Heaven and Hell is a way to put all the bad blood and politics attached to the Sabbath name since the early 2000s behind and start afresh".

AMEN to that!
                            "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                            R. Blackmore

Comment

"Black Sabbath" as a band concept is history. It became history when Sabbath became a "greatest hits jukebox" for Ozzfest and ceased being a creative force.

Actually, to me it became history when Iommi broke up the Forbidden (I like that album!) lineup to go down memory lane.

Heaven and Hell are the original creative spirit of Black Sabbath. The three songs on The Dio Years, to me, crapped all over the two studio tracks on Reunion.

I would be very, very, very surprised if there were ever another album of new material under the Black Sabbath name, for financial reasons if nothing else.
                              • Tony Iommi owns the name "Black Sabbath." It cannot be used, including by $haron Arden Osbourne, without his consent.
                              • $haron is extremely unlikely to allow any new release that does not have Ozzy front and centre; i.e., the band being called "Black Sabbath featuring Ozzy Osbourne."

Ain't gonna happen.
                              He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Working...
                              X