"The Devil you know" effect on Ozzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike146 View Post
    I don't think Ozzy and Tony connect on the same level musically anymore.

It seems to be the case. I'm just wondering if ozzy could even sing on the new riffs tony has put out in the past years. I didn't like the studio songs that came out with reunion too much. ozzy didn't sing well IMO. But hey Ronnie can sure lift up his vocals on those riffs. I really Like the Devil Cried on The Dio Years.
    Saboid Dubh - “The sun, the moon, the stars all bear my seal”……“Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved”…… “I don't want no one to tell me where I'm gonna go when I die”……“I am the world that hides the universal secret of all time”……“Nobody will ever change my ways……“Here I go again from the start and to the end”……

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Priest View Post
      I think mike146 summed it all up very nicely. Couldn't agree more. The first time I saw The Last Supper DVD, the part where Tony forces Ozzy to sing Paranoid til it is perfect. You can clearly see that Ozzy isn't feeling comfortable. That told me that Tony sets higher standards than Ozzy is capable of fulfilling.
      I think that's another example of the "musical disconnection."

Since 1979 Tony has been used to working with singers who can sing about anything he gives them.

Also, since Ozzy has had a solo career where none of the other musos can tell him what to do (only Sharon can do that!), how to sing, what to sing, etc., when he got back in the Sabbath situation and Tony's (whom Ozzy once called "Darth Vader") perfectionism, of course he was uncomfortable.

Randy Rhoads has been the closest Ozzy has had to another band member giving him cues, but that was in a totally different way. Rhoads would re-arrange songs in different keys that Ozzy's voice could handle.
      He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

I don't think "The Devil You Know" will have any effect on Ozzy. I think since they aren't calling the band Black Sabbath he doesn't care. It doesn't matter who "thinks" of it as Black Sabbath. As long it's not called Black Sabbath, Ozzy can tell himself it's really not Black Sabbath and/or they aren't "pretending" to be Black Sabbath and he's fine.
        Last edited by VikingChrist; 03-20-2009, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Plus, the Osbournes can't make any money off anything to do with Heaven and Hell, so it's not a blip on their radar screen.

The most I can see happening is $haron still reiterating that "only the original is Black Sabbath."
          He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Siegler View Post
            That's not going to happen, either.
            after what went down, Martin won't work with Iommi again. Ever. Can't say I blame him. Martin was always there for the band (barring of course the Cosa Mesa show, not his fault) and still Iommi sold him down the river for Ozzy and what would become of the BS milking train of lame releases (Past Lives, etc) and numerous greatest hits albums recycling the same stuff everyone else was already listening to.

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
              Since 1979 Tony has been used to working with singers who can sing about anything he gives them.
              That is so true.

Comment

Originally posted by sabbozzy
                It would be great to see Ozzy do an album with Sabbath, and bring back some of that old magic back, the fifth member.
                Yeah, getting Geoff Nicholls back on board would have been great!
                "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

Ozzy doesn't have it vocally and in other ways. To late. Love all the Sabbath singers, but a "final" won't happen because Oz waited to long. And they'd want to be equal (makes sense) but think Sharon would want some "Ozzy the most" push.

Live with and be happy with the Ozzy stuff available.

And prepare yourselves for the new Heaven and Hell release. I think that will make Oz mad he waited to long, past when his vocals were all there.

Comment

I can't believe that there'll be another Black Sabbath album with Ozzy. Tony Iommi now took the last chance to work with Dio. This guy is already 67 and also wants to release more Solo albums, so the time is right just now.

I also guess that it was Iommi's aim to show all the world that the band which started all this Metal thing still is able to release a true masterpiece. For realising this, I think he wanted to have Dio involved because he still has this powerful and strong voice.

You can't rely on Ozzy's health. It's possible to make his voice sound good in the studio but his big problem is the live situation. He can't reproduce his special kind of singing for many shows on stage.
                    Maybe that's the reason Iommi decided to work with Ronnie again.

In my opinion "The Devil you know" is the last album that will ever be released under the label "Black Sabbath" or "Heaven and hell".
                    Program the brain not the heartbeat

Comment

I'm not so sure we won't see another H&H or even 2 or 3 more H&H records before it's all said and done. Dio, in an intervirew I found in these forums, said they wrote a song every 4days and had they kept going would have had another album's worth of material. I think that's why they love playing together, it comes fairly easy for this group. Tony seems to be an endless well of riffs, and Dio loves writing over his music. Geezer doesn't have to write and just gets to play his ass off, as does Vinnie. As for another BS album? I don't see it happening, it would have happend by now if it was, with all the shows they did together in recent past.
                      "Music is so sacred to me that I can’t hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
                      R. Blackmore

Comment

That would be awesome! But I have doubts about it. These guys are quite old...can you imagine Ronnie James Dio on stage at the age of 80? I can't. In my opinion, there will be a last tour and that's it. Iommi, Dio and Butler will all release some solo records and then retire. You can't play Metal til you die on stage.
                        Program the brain not the heartbeat

Comment

Geezer comment

”If we’d written this album with Ozzy,” Butler quipped in the May issue of Decibel, “we’d still be working on the first track.”

http://www3.timeoutny.com/newyork/th...aven-and-hell/
                          Now Playing: Heaven and Hell | The Volume | Time Out New York

Comment

That made my day.
                            "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

Originally posted by Scar View Post
                              You can't play Metal til you die on stage.
                              Watch me.

Also - in regards to the earlier comment about Sharon letting Ozzy participate in a "Black Sabbath Proper" reunion - I was watching the Biography channel this morning, a 1-hour show on Ozzy. When they had footage of the "Jubilee" concert, Sabbath was playing Paranoid, but was the band introduced as "Ozzy Osbourne!!!!" ? If not, it was definitely edited to look that way. And if they DID, then why did the rest of Sabbath stand for that? I didn't see who all was playing, but it was definitely Tony on guitar...

Back on topic, I'd love to hear anything Sabbath does, whether that lumbering oaf is singing or not. If he WAS involved, I think it would tend to be a little more stripped-down in terms of melody, since Dio is a singer whereas Oz is more of a vocalist if you catch my drift. But yeah, I do think it's possible for Shozzy to want to do it (reunion LP) out of sheer ego, but it's got to be on hiser terms.

I thought Scary Dreams was aces, just great. Sorry there wasn't more, but only too happy that this failure to follow through cleared the deck for H&H to carry the torch.

All the best,
                              PAULIE
                              http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UoulA6r90n...ill%2Bward.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie 88 View Post
                                Also - in regards to the earlier comment about Sharon letting Ozzy participate in a "Black Sabbath Proper" reunion - I was watching the Biography channel this morning, a 1-hour show on Ozzy. When they had footage of the "Jubilee" concert, Sabbath was playing Paranoid, but was the band introduced as "Ozzy Osbourne!!!!" ? If not, it was definitely edited to look that way. And if they DID, then why did the rest of Sabbath stand for that? I didn't see who all was playing, but it was definitely Tony on guitar...
                                If I remember rightly, it was Phil Collins on drums.
                                >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
                                SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
                                YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
                                YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Working...
                                X