"The Devil you know" effect on Ozzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuzuWlUeMwo

Yes, it was Phil on drums. This is one of the few videos in which I have ever seen Ozzy not cursing.
    http://www.last.fm/user/MusicFan91

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Priest View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuzuWlUeMwo

Yes, it was Phil on drums. This is one of the few videos in which I have ever seen Ozzy not cursing.
      Look at one of the comments:

Who cares? They're all British rock stars. They all rock. They all are legends. Cool to see Phil playing with Ozzy and Tommy.
      "Tommy"
      >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
      SHIP ERTH THIS IS
      YR CPTIN SPEKING
      YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Comment

Devon and Hull or whatever their calling themselves sound like very tired old men running through the same old cliches, and Ozzy would rather be doing the osbournes relocated or whatever its called.

Their flames burnt brightly in the 70's and into the early 80s but have grown ever dimmer, No More tears was the best post 80s offering from any of them, with geezers first two solo efforts coming a close second, Iommi's first solo album showed promise, but then he went off with Glenn 'who?' Hughes in search no doubt of the mediocrity he has now found in devon and hull.

Retirement is probably the best policy.

Comment

Originally posted by BSPF View Post
          Devon and Hull or whatever their calling themselves sound like very tired old men running through the same old cliches, and Ozzy would rather be doing the osbournes relocated or whatever its called.

Their flames burnt brightly in the 70's and into the early 80s but have grown ever dimmer, No More tears was the best post 80s offering from any of them, with geezers first two solo efforts coming a close second, Iommi's first solo album showed promise, but then he went off with Glenn 'who?' Hughes in search no doubt of the mediocrity he has now found in devon and hull.

It's kinda funny those same old cliches are still so copied even by the young bands and some of them are named the next big things while they're just following Sabbath's lesson with a more modern and muddy sound, with the huge difference none of the new guys is able to come up with as many memorable riffs like Mr. Tony Iommi, and it seems so many young listeners must realize this cause this band of oldies keeps on getting awesome live reviews and even great reviews of the upcoming album, seemingly a return to the doom roots, and that Ronnie is not bad too...

Comment

Originally posted by BSPF View Post

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I am, of course, entitled not to share it.

I personally find it a joy that these legends are playing together and creating new music. I have a lot more respect for that than I did when they were touring as Ozzy's side gig, playing the same shit over and over and over every night.

Glenn "who?" Hughes is one of the premier vocalists in rock. You may not be familiar with him, but those who have listened to him with Deep Purple, Trapeze, Hughes-Thrall, Gary Moore, and Tony Iommi (not to mention his solo albums) know "who" he is.

Did you actually listen to any of the Black Sabbath albums with Tony Martin on vocals?

Did you actually listen to any of the Iommi/Hughes projects?

The last Ozzy Osbourne album that did anything for me, that I actually bought as a new release, was No Rest For The Wicked, and that's 1989.

Retirement? That may happen after this Heaven and Hell tour. However, I saw Ozzy on his so-called "retirement" tour, and we know what bullshit that turned out to be.
            He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally posted by blackblood View Post
              Late '90s: the long awaited Black Sabbath reunion with Ozzy is a reality, and the fans can see Tony, Ozzy and co. together on stage again, and for several successfull tours. But so many Black Sabbath fans aren't completely happy, all they want is a new studio album from the original line-up. Too band the band tries to write one but doesn't go that far with the idea, Ozzy is not so focused on the project distracted by tv shows (I don't wanna rate cause I'm a classy guy..) or inspired to do one and always says he doesn't want to ruin the legacy of the band releasing a bad album though the band members got together to write new songs and told the press to have the ideas for around 6-7 songs already recorded (a new song, "Scary Dreams" is played live in some shows and brings back a bit of the old sound, though I've always thought it sounded a bit like an unfinished track that could have been even better with some adjustments)

2007: Ronnie James Dio is asked to be a part of a project called "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years", he's fine with the idea of writing some new songs with Tony for this release and the process of creating new music with Tony after such a long time is smooth and works so well that after a really successfull tour a new studio album is planned and now already recorded and soon to be released in april 2009.

What do you think will be the effect of the new Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath) album on Ozzy? To me, when the album will be released and will start to get a great feedback from the fans and the press (that's my opinion on what whill happen), most of them calling it the real new Sabbath album, Ozzy will feel like "Dio's done what I've not been able to do for a decade" and will truly do something in the direction of a new and most definitely final Black Sabbath studio album, maybe even just to have a sort of last word on the Sabbath Legacy he's helped to create from the start. Btw many fans would win if this should happen, I hope so, as much as I love Ronnie and I'm loving the idea of a new album with him (and would love even another one after that) I'd love the idea of seeing the chemistry of the original four together in studio for one final time, don't forget it, Tony, Geezer, Bill, Ozzy, it all started with them and to me it would be great to see the Black Sabbath Story ending with those four men delivering the last doom masterpiece bringing back a bit of that '70s sound that marked the very beginning of this musical genre.

What do you think? Will "The Devil You Know" give some motivation-fire to Ozzy for a possible new-last Sabbath chapter from the original line-up?

Max
              To be honest I don't know if ozzy will really care all that much since everybody knows it's not the original line up. They don't use the name black sabbath. I thnk he's supportive of Toni and Geezer and whatever they want to do but I don't think this album will make much of a difference. Ozzy is quickly reinserting himself in american life again with his new show and working on his own projects. I think he might get back togehter for some more gigs for the fans and for oldtimes sake but I don't think this will cause him to want to go out and make new sabbath music.

I believe that the mere fact that Tony has decided not to use the name Black Sabbath for "The Devil You Know" record says that deep down he's keeping the door open for a final tour-record with Ozzy, I don't buy the fact that the only motivation for the use of that band name is avoiding the Dio era stuff to be confused with the Ozzy era classics
              I always thought they did that as a complement to ozzy not because of any confusion but because ozzy stated many times that he hated them keeping the name as it didn't sound like black sabbath to him without him there. Once they reunited it would have been insulting to him if they had kept the name after putting aside their differences. The war between ozzy and BS is over now.
              Last edited by Sabbathguy84; 04-08-2009, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think Ozzy could care less about Heaven and Hell.

It doesn't involve him at all, and (as $haron has no doubt informed him) he's not going to be making one pence off it, so what reason does he have to care?
                He is not here. He has risen!

Comment

Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
                  Honestly, I don't think Ozzy could care less about Heaven and Hell.

It doesn't involve him at all, and (as $haron has no doubt informed him) he's not going to be making one pence off it, so what reason does he have to care?
                  Well, it's easy, the main reason he's always said no to a new Black Sabbath Studio album (not saying it's a real one, we can't know that for sure) is the fear no to live up to the expectations, not to ruin Sabbath's legacy releasing something not worthy of the influencial first records of the band.

Now, with the Heaven and Hell album getting great reviews everywhere and being practically a Black Sabbath record, and a doomy one reminiscent of the classics for many reviewers, a record seemingly totally worthy of the name Black Sabbath (I have yet to hear a single note), it's obvious that Ozzy could feel like Ronnie has been able to do in few months what he's not done in a decade.

I don't think a guy like Ozzy doesn't care about what Tony,Geezer, Ronnie do, considering so many are calling it a Black Sabbath album anyway, or "The Devil You Know".

This vision that Ozzy lives in wonderland and doesn't care about what Tony and Geezer do with Ronnie makes no sense imo, after all, the first thing that's come up from Ozzy's camp after the announcement of the reunion with Dio was a statement that the true Sabbath were the four original members and that there would have been a new original line-up tour, and this FEW HOURS AFTER THE DIO REUNION, good way not to care about something.

Late 2006 Heaven and Hell get together and have the announcement of the Dio Years release set around march 2007, a couple of months later the new Ozzy comes out

2009 a new Heaven and Hell studio album comes out and Ozzy is suddenly so focused on completing his new studio album, it's strange this time it's taking just two years to do the new record, instead of the usual 5-6 of the recent records.

Heaven and Hell has been supported and praised by the whole metal scene with a great word of mouth among the fans since day one. I don't think a person like Sharon, doesn't know that Ronnie and Tony have been all over blabbermouth (for example) these last two years and that means a lot in 2009.
                  Last edited by blackblood; 04-11-2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Well, it's easy, the main reason he's always said no to a new Black Sabbath Studio album (not saying it's a real one, we can't know that for sure) is the fear no to live up to the expectations, not to ruin Sabbath's legacy releasing something not worthy of the influencial first records of the band.

Now, with the Heaven and Hell album getting great reviews everywhere and being practically a Black Sabbath record, and a doomy one reminiscent of the classics for many reviewers, a record seemingly totally worthy of the name Black Sabbath (I have yet to hear a single note), it's obvious that Ozzy could feel like Ronnie has been able to do in few months what he's not done in a decade.

I don't think a guy like Ozzy doesn't care about what Tony,Geezer, Ronnie do, considering so many are calling it a Black Sabbath album anyway, or "The Devil You Know".

This vision that Ozzy lives in wonderland and doesn't care about what Tony and Geezer do with Ronnie makes no sense imo, after all, the first thing that's come up from Ozzy's camp after the announcement of the reunion with Dio was a statement that the true Sabbath were the four original members and that there would have been a new original line-up tour, and this FEW HOURS AFTER THE DIO REUNION, good way not to care about something.

Late 2006 Heaven and Hell get together and have the announcement of the Dio Years release set around march 2007, a couple of months later the new Ozzy comes out

2009 a new Heaven and Hell studio album comes out and Ozzy is suddenly so focused on completing his new studio album, it's strange this time it's taking just two years to do the new record, instead of the usual 5-6 of the recent records.

Heaven and Hell has been supported and praised by the whole metal scene with a great word of mouth among the fans since day one. I don't think a person like Sharon, doesn't know that Ronnie and Tony have been all over blabbermouth (for example) these last two years and that means a lot in 2009.
                    A lot of truth in there.
                    Damian
                    Super Moderator
                    Black-Sabbath.com

Comment

Well my thought on all this is if we get a new album with oz,ton,geez,bill then great. But if we dont thats great too. We got these great musicians in iommi, dio, ozzy, and so forth and its great they are still making as great music as they are.
                      To me comparing dio's and ozzy's singing/frontman is like comparing rob halford's and zakk wylde's. Two different styles and voices.
                      Pain and Poison Roses

Comment

Originally posted by Sabbathguy84 View Post
                        To be honest I don't know if ozzy will really care all that much since everybody knows it's not the original line up. They don't use the name black sabbath. I thnk he's supportive of Toni and Geezer and whatever they want to do
                        Don't seem so, else why would his camp try to steal the attention from the H&H announcement in 2006 by (falsely) stating that "there will be a new Original Black Sabbath album and tour". Thankfully no one seems to be buying this thing anymore.

... but I don't think this album will make much of a difference. Ozzy is quickly reinserting himself in american life again with his new show and working on his own projects. I think he might get back togehter for some more gigs for the fans and for oldtimes sake but I don't think this will cause him to want to go out and make new sabbath music.
                        Yes, if nothing has made him work with Sabbath by 2001-2, then nothing will ever make him. Period.

I always thought they did that as a complement to ozzy not because of any confusion but because ozzy stated many times that he hated them keeping the name as it didn't sound like black sabbath to him without him there.
                        I don't think he was entitled to any opinion on the records they made without him. He was the one who couldn't keep his act together and was fired because of that. Now of course he had to diss Black Sabbath because he couldn't admit that. So instead of being a class act, he chose to slam his former bandmates in the public, and have that midget called "Ronnie" on tour, etc. Looks like he would have liked the band to keep him, and take it down to hell with him. He almost succeeded after 1998.

I remember reading the story about the recording of the first Blizzard of Ozz album. By then, Heaven and Hell was already released and found its way into the recording studio (to Rhoads and Daisley specifically). They liked it but tried to hide that from Ozzy, knowing that he wouldn't approve.

Once they reunited it would have been insulting to him if they had kept the name after putting aside their differences. The war between ozzy and BS is over now.
                        Surely it's not. Ozzy has reduced the Black Sabbath's name to the absolute artistic low it was by 2006, so Tony had to give up the name in order to continue. That hardly amounts to act of peace. Unfortunately.
                        "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Comment

I was thinking about this. It might just inspire Ozzy to get back together with Sabbath for a reunion album and/or tour. Especially if the new H&H album is successful in the charts.

Although I'm not completely sure that another Ozzy led album is really what Sabbath needs. The new H&H album is essentially what Sabbath is now, and it's a fantastic album. I'd rather see them continue in that lineup, and let Ozzy release more solo albums, than have a half-assed Black Sabbath album with Ozzy that just doesn't work.
                          Last edited by RealityDream; 04-13-2009, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityDream View Post
                            I was thinking about this. It might just inspire Ozzy to get back together with Sabbath for a reunion album and/or tour. Especially if the new H&H album is successful in the charts.

Although I'm not completely sure that another Ozzy led album is really what Sabbath needs. The new H&H album is essentially what Sabbath is now, and it's a fantastic album. I'd rather see them continue in that lineup, and let Ozzy release more solo albums, than have a half-assed Black Sabbath album with Ozzy that just doesn't work.
                            I don't know if it's just the avid fan in me btw I'd love to see one more album with both after TDYK, I wouldn't want Tony and Geezer closing the door to Ronnie after they're dong such a great job, at the same time I would love to get one more album from the orignal line-up for many reasons, basically to hear:
                            - Bill's drumming and songwriting
                            - Geezer and mainly Tony working in the style of the early albums, with jams and kinda jazzy parts
                            - Ozzy's voice on the stuff the ther three could come up with, even just to hear some some minutes that chemistry once again.

I don't mind if it wouldn't be a masterpiece, I'm sure the level of these songwriters is so high the album wouldn't suck, it would be really good in several parts, at the very least, imo. I would love to have Tony and Geezer do one more record with Ronnie as well, Ronnie has helped Tony and Geezer to get so muc press and attention once again, and Ronnie has to be very happy for the help he's had from Tony and Geezer as well, I'm sure Magica 2-3, that could come back while Ozz could play some live shows with Tony and co. will benefit from all the support that Heaven and Hell is getting, and will no problem selling much more than the not so great (apart from some great songs like The Eyes) Master of the Moon.

Otherwise, if Tony won't work with Ozzy while Ronnie will do Magica 2-3 I would love to see a tour package with Dio's band with Iommi's band and Geezer's band before one more H and H album.
                            Last edited by blackblood; 04-13-2009, 08:37 AM.

Comment

As seemingly correct as the rest of your post was, this part in particular doesn't seem right.

Ozzy is simply cashing in on the success of TDYK. Just like all those years in the 80's when Ozzy kept the Sabbath reputation alive in the eyes of the public, now he is using that same approach with this.

You see, no matter how much anyone denies it, the only songs Sabbath will EVER be remembered for, in the views of the general public, are the big three from Paranoid. Now because Ozzy was the voice on that and Ozzy is far more commercially successful on his own, Sabbath with Ozzy will ALWAYS be the most popular era. It is here where having the discussions about rather it should be called 'Heaven And Hell' or 'Black Sabbath' do H&H the greatest disservice. If you were to go up to anyone who was just a casual music listener, you mention H&H or Black Sabbath and they might look at you like you got four heads. Neither name is household, but if you ask them about Ozzy then they WILL know the name Black Sabbath. So you ask them, "Name me a song" and they say, "Crazy Train, right".

So in effect having the completely pointless discussion of the name title, will always bring up the name BS and therefore the outlook will return not to SEVENTH STAR or BORN AGAIN or DEHUMANIZER or HEAVEN AND HELL, or even SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH. The outlook will see just Paranoid. Then Ozzy just sits back and smiles and reeps the benefits of having diluted every good possible trait he owned(which was NOT many to begin with) so that he would ALWAYS have that upper hand in popularity.

So of COURSE he is going to release an album at either the same exact time or in the proximity, so that he can either steal the thunder or have free publicity. After all the general public is too lazy, blind and stupid to realize that a legacy cannot be built on just three songs, if you catch my drift.

What I also find hysterical is people for years kept complaining, something to the effect of:

"Because there is just IommI in the band they shouyld probably release it under a different name, since it's not really Sabbath. Oh that would make me like/buy it"

Now that Sabbath does it:

"F*ck You, It's Still Sabbath"

Comment

lol speaks the truth !
                                The worst Sabbath era , is when theres NO Sabbath era !

Comment

Working...
                                X