Song for Jim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I guess we’ll never hear the Studio version.
    Have faith, my friend. When Ozzy's dead and Sharon wanna keep cashing in, we'll get it. Sorry for having such a morbid view, but am i totally wrong?
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til Šrs ok friūar ok forn siūr

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Underdog View Post
      Have faith, my friend. When Ozzy's dead and Sharon wanna keep cashing in, we'll get it. Sorry for having such a morbid view, but am i totally wrong?
      I donít think youíre wrong Billy, Sharon did miss out on cashing in on Dumfries though, someone beat her to it and leaked it online, she had the rights to it.

Iím surprised we never heard anything ever again regarding this leak and Sharon trying to lawsuit someone.
      "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
      "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
      ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Comment

I like When i came down,great song. Im not so fond of a Song for Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Kennyz View Post
          I like When i came down,great song. Im not so fond of a Song for Jim.
          I love them all Kennyz.
          "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
          "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Comment

Originally posted by ronn View Post
            ^^ What about when I came down?
            Joe D still have, do you have it yet Doc
            The Wizard or Sign of the sorcerer from that same acetate you already got your hands on \m/
            I'd love to someday hear all of these unreleased versions, The Wizard I got to hear a snippet Doc was kind enough to leave recorded on my phone very dark indeed.

Comment

I'd love to someday hear all of these unreleased versions, The Wizard I got to hear a snippet Doc was kind enough to leave recorded on my phone very dark indeed.
              Missed the hell out of you bud! So glad your back! We were once the dynamic duo
              You lucky dog!
              I think only You, the Doc, Roller Joint, Joe D, Jim Simpson, Tony, Ozzy, Bill and Geezer have heard any part of the original

Comment

Originally posted by ronn View Post
                Missed the hell out of you bud! So glad your back! We were once the dynamic duo
                You lucky dog!
                I think only You, the Doc, Roller Joint, Joe D, Jim Simpson, Tony, Ozzy, Bill and Geezer have heard any part of the original
                Thank you Ronn, it's good to be back.

Dark and evil sounding that snippet was, nothing like what we got on the release.

Comment

Doc if I may ask, how do you know about this Song For Jim w/Lyrics?

Iíve been searching everywhere and canít find anything on it, but I know Iíve either read about it or heard it from Jim Simpson on an interview.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Comment

Doc if I may ask, how do you know about this Song For Jim w/Lyrics?

I’ve been searching everywhere and can’t find anything on it, but I know I’ve either read about it or heard it from Jim Simpson on an interview.

Thank you for your help in advance.
                    My ears have heard both versions ,, technically 3 versions ..... just as there is over 7 versions of "The Rebel" - multiple versions of "Song For Jim" exist (4 if you include the flute version you own already) ....... the great thing that separates "SFJ" from all the other early tracks (Rebel , WICD , etc ..) , it's not a Sabbath made cover tune ,, it's pure Sab!

Just over 3 minutes , the instrumental and vocal versions are identical (besides the "ghost" lyrics that are rather good!) - think Tull meets a happy "Sleeping Village" ,, the 3rd version (we hear a sample of from those old VHS's) is just over a minute an 10 seconds long (no lyrics) ,, and I do believe this 3rd version (more of an intro / outro track) WILL see the light of day.

God Bless
                    Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 12-27-2017, 07:34 PM. Reason: Hope that helps ......

Comment

Originally posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
                      My ears have heard both versions ,, technically 3 versions ..... just as there is over 7 versions of "The Rebel" - multiple versions of "Song For Jim" exist (4 if you include the flute version you own already) ....... the great thing that separates "SFJ" from all the other early tracks (Rebel , WICD , etc ..) , it's not a Sabbath made cover tune ,, it's pure Sab!

Just over 3 minutes , the instrumental and vocal versions are identical (besides the "ghost" lyrics that are rather good!) - think Tull meets a happy "Sleeping Village" ,, the 3rd version (we hear a sample of from those old VHS's) is just over a minute an 10 seconds long (no lyrics) ,, and I do believe this 3rd version (more of an intro / outro track) WILL see the light of day.

God Bless
                      Great stuff and yes I agree, A Song For Jim, is more special because it's a genuine Sabbath song and not a cover, I love the beat to it.

By ghost lyrics you mean improvisation, right? Where he makes the lyrics up as he goes along, like on the alternate Paranoid song on the Deluxe Edition.

I know I heard an interview, googled Jim Simpson allover the net and to no avail, I know I heard Jim say he had A Song For Jim in his vault.

This A Song For Jim has always fascinated me as has any early Sabbath material that hasn't surfaced or never been heard.

Good to hear that there are three versions of this and that one might see the light of day, hopefully it will.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about this.

Comment

Found this excerpt regarding A Song For Jim, it mentions a version with lyrics:
                        3. Song for Jim w/flute and drum solo (This starts off the second set. It's an instrumental version of "Song for Jim" with Iommi doing a wonderful flute solo, and Bill's drum solo is also fantastic and unique; According to a trusted source whose been correct on several occasions, there is a recorded version of "Song for Jim" with vocals, presumably on the five-song "For Jim" demo, which Jim Simpson and the band have.)
                        Here is the entire link to the page I just found:

http://www.blacksabbathlyrics.net/Sabbathystuff.htm

Our very own Etrader is mentioned on here.
                        Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 12-28-2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Another excerpt:

The band starts playing a lot more small clubs and gaining popularity. A man by the name of Jim Simpson steps in and becomes the bands new manager. Jim had the band record a special demo album, just for him named "For Jim". This album contains 5 songs, consisting of the only jazz session ever recorded by Black Sabbath. It features Tony Iommi playing with the style of Wes Montgomery and Bill Ward backing him up with bebop drums. Two of the songs on this album were named "A Song For Jim" and "The Rebel". Short samples of them can be heard on a video released in the early 90's called "The Black Sabbath Story, Vol 1".

Comment

...the 3rd version (we hear a sample of from those old VHS's) is just over a minute an 10 seconds long (no lyrics) ,, and I do believe this 3rd version (more of an intro / outro track) WILL see the light of day.
                            I'd love to find out the context within which that 3rd version will be released.

Ted

Comment

Thanks Doc for the details...!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Sallis View Post
                                I'd love to find out the context within which that 3rd version will be released.

Ted
                                Whatever the context I hope it gets released.

Comment

Working...
                                X