X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardener
    replied
    Originally posted by fishtowner View Post
    3 of those never put out an album with sabbath so they are out.
    And one of those three has unfortunately been dead for more than 15 years

Leave a comment:

• fishtowner
    replied
    3 of those never put out an album with sabbath so they are out.

Leave a comment:

• DiosSword
    replied
    Originally posted by Deth2112 View Post
    This proboly would never happen but there goes the dream of Sabbath doing a tour with all 3 singers.
    Hmm...I think your counting is a little bit off kilter.

Ozzy Osbourne
    Dave Walker
    Ronnie James Dio
    Ian Gillan
    David Donato
    Glenn Hughes
    Ray Gillen
    Tony Martin

My math is not wonderful but I think that comes out to eight, not three.

Leave a comment:

• Gardener
    replied
    Originally posted by thesithempire View Post
    Osbourne penned lyrics
    1. Black Sabbath
    Ozzy didn't write "Black Sabbath". He only came up with the first verse : "What is this that stands before me / Figure in black which points at me". The rest of the song is all Geezer. I also believe "Fairies Wear Boots" was by Geezer, based on what Ozzy told him after he took some "funny pills".

Still, it's true Ozzy participated a lot more than he is usually credited for by fans. While he wrote almost nothing, he still helped by inspiring Geezer. Here's what Geezer said on the "Rock Family Tree" video about how he started to have creative difficulties after "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" : "I didn't know what the hell to write about anymore. Album after album, I was trying to get away from the black magic and all those things we were supposed to be associated with, and I never got any help from anybody. In the early days, Ozzy would come up with a title or a chorus line and that would inspire me to write the rest of the song. And all that dried up."

Ozzy didn't write the songs, but he inspired a lot of them. In 2005, Bill Ward also said how he got the idea for the lyrics of "Scary Dream" by talking with Ozzy.

Leave a comment:

• Deth2112
    replied
    This proboly would never happen but there goes the dream of Sabbath doing a tour with all 3 singers.

Leave a comment:

• thesithempire
    replied
    Originally posted by BooSweeney View Post
    What 8 songs?

'Who Are You' and 'Am I Going Insane (Radio)' are the two he wrote on his own, correct?

I have also seen that he may have written 1-2 verses of the song 'Black Sabbath', although I've also seen that being also 100% Geezer. So that's up for debate. That is about the extent of Ozzy's writing for Sabbath that I've personally seen in print.

I'm really interested in hearing which other songs you think he helped write.
    Osbourne penned lyrics
    1. Black Sabbath
    2. (part of Wicked World)
    3. Fairies Wear Boots
    4. Changes
    5. Who are You
    6. Am I Going Insane (Radio)
    7. (part of Back Street Kids)
    8. Rock ‘n’ Roll Doctor

And I'm certain he contributed elements to others (the concept and title for "Iron Man", for example). "Black Sabbath" is his lyric. Several interviews with Butler have confirmed this.

Leave a comment:

• BooSweeney
    replied
    That's not true. He crafted the melody lines for most of the songs. He contributed lyrics, full or in part to at least eight different songs, and wrote two songs of his own.
    What 8 songs?

'Who Are You' and 'Am I Going Insane (Radio)' are the two he wrote on his own, correct?

I have also seen that he may have written 1-2 verses of the song 'Black Sabbath', although I've also seen that being also 100% Geezer. So that's up for debate. That is about the extent of Ozzy's writing for Sabbath that I've personally seen in print.

I'm really interested in hearing which other songs you think he helped write.

Leave a comment:

• thesithempire
    replied
    He might of written some songs. It doesnt seem right that he didnt give credit to the guys who wrote his other stuff.
    I take it you mean Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake. They're credited on Blizzard. The problem was Diary of a Madman, where there were pictures of Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge, and the fact that Bob Daisley wrote all his lyrics up No More Tears, but went officially uncredited (though it's common knowledge).

Then of course there was the matter of Sharon removing Daisley and Kerslake from the two albums, a move that not only backfired, but blew up in her face.

That was a monumentally bad decision.

Leave a comment:

• Deth2112
    replied
    That's not true. He crafted the melody lines for most of the songs. He contributed lyrics, full or in part to at least eight different songs, and wrote two songs of his own.
    He might of written some songs. It doesnt seem right that he didnt give credit to the guys who wrote his other stuff.

Leave a comment:

• thesithempire
    replied
    I can still listen to the ozzy stuff solo and Sabbath. He just sang for them he didnt do anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Deth2112
    replied
    I can still listen to the ozzy stuff solo and Sabbath. He just sang for them he didnt do anything else. Since the lawsuit respect has been lost for ozzy. Though this is proboly sharons fault. And to me atleast it doesnt matter if the person is a bad person or not I will still listen to there music.

Leave a comment:

• SOBiby
    replied
    It's kinda funny - once I read about the whole lawsuit thing, I was in complete shock and disbelief. Ozzy's done some messed up things in the past but that broke my heart. He was a huge influence on me.

I remember when it all happened I literally removed the Ozzy-era songs from my Sabbath playlist and took his solo off of my Metal Legends playlist. I took the songs on a new playlist named "Ozzy Osbourne is being a bitch".

I went a few weeks with it - as time went on I decided to ease up on the Ozzy-era Sabbath songs and I put them back on the playlist. I realize that there was once a time where Ozzy was just a kid who wanted to make his visions a reality - THAT'S the Ozzy I respect and look up to.

As for his solo stuff I'm still gonna need some time, if he wins the case against Iommi I don't think I'll ever listen to his solo stuff again...

Leave a comment:

• rar
    replied
    See to me, music doesn't sound different due to events caused. I never thought much of Ozzy as a person, so the fact only makes my perception of him worse. However, it has no effect on the early music.

Leave a comment:

• Zero The Hero
    replied
    The Reunion seemed to change the status of things. For some reason, Ozzy believes that the reunion restored 50% of the rights to the name back to him.
    You can't magically "restore" something you sold. So unless he secretly bought back the rights or something, I don't see what kind of legal leg he could stand on. Hell, if the Ozzy camp wins this lawsuit, just imagine the kind of precendent it could create...

However, this doesn't taint the work created by the original lineup for me. I never cared much for Ozzy to begin with, and these news sure as hell aren't gonna change my perception.

Leave a comment:

• Ashley Dalby
    replied
    Originally posted by DiosSword View Post
    I still listen to vintage Sabbath without any trouble also. I've always listened mostly for the instrumental work anyway...
    I've never been a huge fan of the original Sabbath so I can go without listening to Ozzy pretty easily. In fact I haven't listened to Ozzy is a while.

I really don't think that Ozzy and Sharon's behaviour can "taint" his musical legacy. He was one of the founders of the heavy metal form, and he's introduced some great guitarists who would otherwise probably be playing in bar bands.
    This might be true, but it is also possible that they could have caught on elsewhere...

I think the worst "taint" on his musical legacy comes from the bastardised "Daisley and Kerslake don't exist" albums. I think Randy Rhoads would be shitting himself over that were he still with us.
    No doubt. Remastering the music is one thing, even though everyone claims the first two albums are FLAWLESS I know I wouldn't want to play for someone who will erase my hardwork at a later time. Ozzy may have done this or that and he may be deserving of his things being overlooked, there ARE after all, much worse crimes committed. But I just cannot stomach listening to someone whom acts like a gutless turd in every other facet of life.

I used to listen to Michael Jackson back in 80's without a problem. Used to have an assortment of his albums, but once 1993 or so came around, I refuse to listen to or support someone who finds it okay to create an amusement park and say: You Must Be This Tall To Ride Me.

Tony IommI is not without fault either, but at least he created amazing music without Ozzy, and did not do have of the atrocious things that his former singer did, both professionally and personally...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X